PC_EFI - updating to 10.5.2 with Core 2 Quad Q6600?

wahwahman89

7 posts in this topic

I wonder whether anyone can answer this question... I am currently running my new Intel rig on PC_EFI (kalyway's 10.5.1). With the upcoming 10.5.2 update, will it be safe to update?

I'm running a Vanilla kernel (the 9.1 kernel from Apple). I have researched to find that it is safe to update with Intel's CORE 2 DUO/SOLO processors - but no mention for the Core 2 Quad (Q6600)... Is it safe?

Also is it likely that Apple will ship a modified Darwin bootloader with any updates in the future, rendering PC_EFI null and void?

Thanks!

A Core 2 Quad is in no way different than a Core 2 Single or Duo besides the two extra cores, so I wouldn't worry about that. But some next update could always brick or break your current installation in some way. There's no easy answer to this question, and we definitely can't tell you without the update being here yet. :)

Cheers fellows :) I didn't realise they were no different... You just made a mental image in my mind of an Intel employee just sticking an extra two cores onto a chip with glue... lol.

Anyway, I'm digressing. I'll be the first one to update (after force-running a TM backup of course!!) and will post up suggestions/comments. I guess infringing items could always be removed from the update with Pacifist...

Thanks!

Yeah we can only sincerely hope that things turn out to be good after the update arrives and is installed by some daring person on his/her Hackintosh!