This is a bit stupid.. but how do you check if you have SATA

8 posts in this topic

During the mac os x installation i get the error msg system config file'/com.apple.boot.plist' not found and on some forums it says that sometimes its because of SATA HDD and im unsure what that means because apparently having SATA means that sometimes Mac os x has compatibility problems..

Could someone please guide me about this because im quite confused and if so then how to remove the msg and start up Mac installation..

Thanks

There are mainly two different types of hard drives used today- IDE and SATA. IDE are the drives with the big wide cable and SATA are the ones with the thin (usually orange colored) cable. Take a peek inside your PC and you will find out. If it's a really new PC then you probably have SATA.

You could also enter your BIOS and check your HDD description.

There are mainly two different types of hard drives used today- IDE and SATA. IDE are the drives with the big wide cable and SATA are the ones with the thing (usually orange colored) cable. Take a peek inside your PC and you will find out. If it's a really new PC then you probably have SATA.

not related to sata/pata disk

go use "boot from" menu

select hdd

now it may not show com.apple.boot.plist blah blah

have good time

worx for my if adding drivers, non correct shutdown etc.

There are mainly two different types of hard drives used today- IDE and SATA. IDE are the drives with the big wide cable and SATA are the ones with the thing (usually orange colored) cable. Take a peek inside your PC and you will find out. If it's a really new PC then you probably have SATA.

the ones with the thing cable?

You may have to set the HDD to AHCI mode in BIOS. What is your hardware?

IDE on left, SATA on right :

sata-pata.jpg

what is ACHI and also in my BIOS it says IDE Slave (+one above it can't remember what it is).. does this mean my comp HDD is IDE

Thanks..

and i also get the error msg system config file '/com.apple.boot.plist' not found (i actually checked using Transmac, the file is in the right directory and is there) i used Virtual Clone Drive.. and in Transmac it said that my Virtual Disk is SCSI instead of IDE.. does this change anything about the error msg

No, IDE doesnt necessarily mean The cable.. it sometimes means the channel. I only have Sata drives.. the drive that is plugged into port one is IDE master, the one in port 2 is IDE master 2. The Correct name is Pata for the ribbon cables (parallel ATA) and Sata for the other ones (serial ata). AHCI is Advanced Host controller interface. It basically instead of using Sata drives in a IDE mode, it takes advantage of their features and faster speeds and makes everything run faster(not really) and idk sometimes MAc runs smoother on AHCI... it is only a mode that your sata drive can go in. If your bios has an option for AHCI, chances are you have sata ports.. and probably sata hardrives.

Your hardrive is definately not "Scuzzy" SCSI. Open it up and check.