Whats the best laptop?

yelloguy

7 posts in this topic

I realize the correct answer is Macbook, but thats not what I am looking for. I had a Compaq c551NR which was darn near perfect for OSX with uphuck 10.4.9 DVD. Everything except wireless worked beautifully. However, the hardware was not good quality (the keys kept popping off) so I sold that laptop. Now for the next laptop, I want to pick one that has everything including the wireless working. Is there such a beast? If not then I might buy a Macbook. (Yes, I am hooked to OSX in the last 6 months).

(Don't know if this should be in Tiger or Leopard forum. I am open to either.)

Thanks for any comments.

Yes but the HCL is cluttered with stuff that doesn't work well or works only partially. I was hoping there is a consensus on a "best laptop" pretty much like the LifeHacker website has a list of best desktop parts to buy for Leopard.

I can tell you that the Compaq Presario C551NR laptop was near perfect for Tiger (and Leopard, as mentioned elsewhere in these forums) with the exception of wireless. If it had a better quality keyboard, I would have kept it for years and years.

Ok so I had decided to buy the $1100 macbook but I went in to look at it in store and I did not like it. Screen is too small and the keyboard layout is weird. I can buy a 15" Core 2 Duo with integrated webcam for that price and turn it into a hackbook. I am back to researching which laptop to buy.

• 3 months later...
Just buy a real Mac. It's worth it ;)

I disagree...

unless you can justify buying the same computer for twice as much money...

just buy the proper PC parts and build your own. if you plan ahead it will be just as good.