10.5.1 AMD with nforce 4 (MCP51/61) [SATA Solution]

bombuzal

15 posts in this topic

* WARNING: This is a guide to make Leo recognise your nforce4-based SATA controller, see bottom of the page for remaining problems *

Hello everyone :censored2:

I thought I'd have a play with one of my AMD boxes so I could perhaps make it into a small OS X server and occasional browser. I managed to get a working install with tubgirl's 10.4.8 ISO after injecting MeDevil's latest AppleNForceATA driver, but being spoilt by Leo's arrival, thought I'd give that a go and share my experience. For this I'm using "Mac_OS_X_Leopard_10.5.1_for_AMD_SSE2_SSE3_(32bits)" which I believe is Zeph's first release of 10.5.1.

CPU: AMD Sempron 2800+

Motherboard: Asrock K8NF6G-VSTA

Chipset: NVIDIA NForce 6100-405 (MCP61 Controllers)

SATA Driver: MeDevil's AppleNForceATA

NIC Driver: forcedeth (Untested, copy this over at the same time as the SATA driver if you wish to test)

So, first boot of the installation DVD didn't go well - It uses an older release of MeDevil's AppleNForceATA kext which doesn't like the MCP61 SATA Controller. So, after stupidly removing the ISO to make space I had to rip the DVD to ISO using 'dd', mount it in read-write mode and extract Extensions.mkext. I extracted the mkext, and added the updated driver and to save time, I also copied the kext to the Optional Installs directory rather than messing around with Essentials.pkg. Incase people come across this thread and would like to know how to perform these steps, I'll briefly outline them.

Mount the ISO in read-write mode, then make a directory somewhere to hold the mkext and the extracted files:

sudo -s
hdiutil attach /Users/Someone/Downloads/Leo-AMD-10.5.1.iso -readwrite
mkdir -p /EXT/Extensions
cd /EXT
cp /Volumes/Leopard-AMD-10.5.1/System/Library/Extensions.mkext ./

Now that you have the mkext - you will need to extract it, copy the new SATA driver into the Extensions dir, then re-create a mkext cache:

mkextunpack -dv Extensions Extensions.mkext
cp -R /path/to/new/AppleNForceATA.kext Extensions/
chown -R root:wheel Extensions/AppleNForceATA.kext
chmod -R 755 Extensions/AppleNForceATA.kext

mv Extensions.mkext old-Extensions.mkext
kextcache -m Extensions.mkext Extensions

You may receive some warnings like: "warning: kernel extension *Extension path+name* is missing dependencies (including in cache anyway; dependencies may be available from elsewhere)" - don't worry about them. Now remove Extensions.mkext on the ISO, and replace it with your newly-created kernel extension cache Extensions.kext. Warning: I advise also copying the individual kext to another location on the DVD, else you will need to unpack Extensions.mkext on your installation partition post-install to retrieve it.

Burn the ISO back to DVD, and boot it. The you should see the new driver load (if you pass -v to the kernel) and recognise your device. Go through the install, then reboot with the install DVD still in the drive. Next open Terminal and do the following (MacOS is what I named the slice/partition I installed to, and I had copied the NForce kext to /Optional Installs/ prior to burning the DVD):

rm -f /Volumes/MacOS/System/Library/Extensions.mkext
rm -rf /Volumes/MacOS/System/Library/Extensions/AppleNForceATA.kext
rm -rf /Volumes/MacOS/System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleNForceATA.kext

then to add the updated driver from the DVD to the installation on the HDD:

cp -R /Optional Installs/AppleNForceATA.kext /Volumes/MacOS/System/Library/Extensions/
chown -R root:wheel /Volumes/MacOS/System/Library/Extensions/AppleNForceATA.kext
chmod -R 755 /Volumes/MacOS/System/Library/Extensions/AppleNForceATA.kext

Additionally, if you don't have a USB keyboard available - do the following:

cp -R /System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext /Volumes/MacOS/System/Library/Extensions/
cp -R /System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Keyboard.kext /Volumes/MacOS/System/Library/Extensions/
chown -R root:wheel /Volumes/MacOS/System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2*
chmod -R 755 /Volumes/MacOS/System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2*

If /System/Library/Extensions/ doesn't exist - copy Extensions.mkext to /Volumes/MacOS and unpack it to a directory following the method above, then you may copy the PS2 kexts from there to your installation's Extension directory.

Reboot your computer, remove the installation DVD and you should be able to boot your new installation of Leo. Post-install setup should begin and ask you the usual questions. This is where I'm currently stuck :P - At the Create Your Account screen, it will report that it's still creating the account /forever/. After a reboot, and retry - It reports that the username is unavailable, so it appears that it /does/ manage to create the user but the amount of tasks remaining is currently unknown. I'll update this post when I find out how to remedy this problem.

If you have an on-board GeForce GFX chipset (such as the 6100): You may experience a kernel panic due to the GeForce drivers, I created a directory in /Library/System, and moved Ge* from Extensions to the new directory to disable them.

Hope this helps a couple of people wanting to (nearly!) get 10.5.1 on their nforce 4 boxes :P

Bombuzal.

UPDATE

OK, so I can confirm that user-accounts are created properly now... so it /should/ (hah!) just be a case of stopping the user-creation wizard from starting. Apparently, OS X checks for a file (probably in /) to see if it should run that or go ahead with starting Aqua.

The only directories I can see which are related to installation are:

BaseSystem.pkg.126G8Devb

tempInstall

The only hidden files/dirs are:

.Spotlight-V100

.Trashes

.com.apple.timemachine.supported

.fseventsd

.hotfiles.btree

.vol

Does anyone know where I should be looking for apps which are started when the GUI starts? :P

Thanks.

Hi there

How do u resolv the create account problem? :)

I cannot pass it....

It create users again and again...and when i reboot i cannot use anymore my Username and Login name...it's already in use...

but i cannot pass the creation account step...

AMD 10.5.1 Toh...on AMD 64 Athlon 3000+

DFI MB , 6600 NVidia card , usb mouse and keyboard...

please help me...i'm disperated: D

To pass the account creating progress you'll need to run Marvin's AMD Utility on the partition/harddisk, using a other version of OSX which is working...
Ah, I had seen that mentioned 'somewhere else' - I didn't realise that's what the problem would've been. Thanks! I'll try it out when I get round to reinstalling on that box.
Will this fix the original SATA problem which wouldn't allow me to format or mount the partition?
Yes, it should do if your hardware controller is covered by the newer driver.Incidentally, I have heard some users still experience "Waiting for boot device" - if possible, use an ATA or PATA DVD-ROM drive and that should fix this problem to allow the installation to proceed.

http://osx86.wikidot.com/

In the Wiki, look at "Known Issues" / "Error Loop at Account Creation".

But, the EASIEST way past the "Account Creation" stall is to have a KNOWN GOOD LAN Adapter in your computer. (then, you can enter your Apple ID and Password, the Installer will get your info off the Internet, and try to sell you ".Mac"!!!) If you have the "nForce Networking Controller", you're almost sure to have problems.

If you don't know OR are unsure about your LAN (ethernet) Adapter, DISABLE IT in the BIOS! "Unplugging the cable" doesn't work. You can fight with this problem after you get past account creation. (Personally, I don't fight it, I just install a Realtek RTL8139 or RTL8169 PCI LAN card - natively supported, no "account creation" worries...)

Since Mac's also use Firewire as a "networking" and/or "user account information" transfer method, some have suggested that you DISABLE the 1394 Controller in BIOS also. That's never been a problem for me, but it can't hurt. It also can be re-enabled after you get to the Desktop.

When the Installer asks you HOW you connect to the Internet - Tell it you DON'T have an Internet connection.

Those tips may help, but here's the hard part:

Once I've had the account creation stall, I've never been able to get past it cleanly without an erase and complete re-install. It's always worked best for me to re-partition (completely destroying the "old" partition) and erase the install drive and/or partition and then re-install OSx86...

It does work to "transfer" an existing user account from another install or a backup, but how many of us have that?

Hi! Maybe this sound like a stupid question but... If you´ve managed to inject de NForceSata driver to the installation DVD, why can´t just force the installation program to use THAT kernel so you don´t have to copy it again from another folder on the dvd to the system post install?

Sorry for my english, I speak spanish.

Thanks!

Hello :)

When OS X is installed, it unpacks everything it needs from Essential.pkg on the DVD (the kernel extensions/drivers which the installation DVD uses aren't copied over - this is why people with a PS/2 keyboard have to manually copy the drivers across for it to work), within this package is a pax file which you would need extract, insert the required drivers and then re-pack. This can be more hassle than it's worth if you're not releasing the ISO/patches.

Hope this clears things up a bit. There are tutorials around the forum on re-mastering Essentials.pkg if you use the search function :)

Hi! Maybe this sound like a stupid question but... If you´ve managed to inject de NForceSata driver to the installation DVD, why can´t just force the installation program to use THAT kernel so you don´t have to copy it again from another folder on the dvd to the system post install?

Sorry for my english, I speak spanish.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Hey Bombuzal,

Did you get your NVidia 6100 - 405 to work properly? I've used Natit and got it to be recognised in Sys Profiler, but with no change to QE/CI or the ability to change the resolution in sys prefs/display.

P

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi, sorry for the delayed response.. dd is program available on most UNIX-like systems which performs low-level data copying (which can work on raw devices, unlike 'cp'). For example, in linux you could get a raw copy/ISO of a disc by running:

dd if=/dev/hdc of=/home/bombuzal/iso_image.iso

(Assuming /dev/hdc was the 3rd ATA drive on the system, nowadays - there is a 'cdrom' or 'dvd' alias for the optical drive)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dd_(Unix)

Did you get your NVidia 6100 - 405 to work properly? I've used Natit and got it to be recognised in Sys Profiler, but with no change to QE/CI or the ability to change the resolution in sys prefs/display.

Hey petrov1c, sorry for the late reply.

I don't think I did, no - that box is currently running FreeBSD 7.x, so I mustn't have gotten enough working at the time for it to be usable for me. Now my new struggles are focused on getting 10.5.4/10.5.5 on this laptop :X.

Bombuzal.

• 1 year later...