Overclock 2.66GHz Intel Xeon MacPro - How?

poopdedoop

7 posts in this topic

Hey everyone. I'm new here and I have a question.

I have a MacPro

Specs:

2x 2.66GHz DualCore Intel Xeon CPUs

ATi Radeon X1900 XT 512MB PCIe GPU

2GB (4x512MB) FB-DIMM Memory

4x internal SATA HDD's (300GB, 250GB, 2x160GB)

2x external HDD's (500GB, 130GB)

so i know it's failrly simple to overcock a PC. I've done it many times myself, but I want to overclock my Mac. I've been researching this and haven't really found an answer. I've read that "theroretically" the 2.66GHz shhould be able to oc to 3.0GHz+ and still be stable. Now i know since Macs use EFI and not BIOS there's no way for me to edit the CPU settings pre-boot.

Is there anything i can use in OSX to allow me to adjust the CPU's clockspeed? or is there anything i can do at all to make my CPU's run faster. (other then buying new CPUs)

Also. I have XP running on bootcamp. In XP i used the Cataclyst Software to overclock my GPU. Will the card still run overclocked when i boot in OSX? if not is there a way to overclock my GPU in OSX also?

Thanks for the help!

why would overclocking a mac be a bad idea? The heatsinks are great and the airflow is fine.

The reason why i want to overclock it is because it will cut down on the wait time when i am editing video. I do that alot and working on 15-30min videos takes quite a while to render/export. I know it can run faster, I'll be getting more ram soon, i just would like my cpus to run a bit faster. 2.8-3.0GHz range.

There just is no easy way to overclock on socket 771 platforms. While enthusiast platforms have been given considerable oc'ing options by board manufacturers due to customer demand over the past 9--10 years, there simply is no such demand in the workstation and server area where reliability is king. So, no easy route to oc the FSB on 771 boards.

If you are adamant, fearless and willing to mess around with the MacPro, which I definitely do NOT recommend, you might look into going BSEL. You could have a look here: http://forums.2cpu.com/showthread.php?t=77937

But the risks of messing up a perfectly fine, awesome machine like your MacPro by far outweigh any possible performance gain.

If you follow this thread Building a MacPro and the link here BSEL mod, you will get a look at what would lie ahead.

• 1 month later...

Get yourself some engineering sample CPUs from eBay and you'll be rockin and rollin! The only overclock available is if you get Xeon CPUs that are 1066MHz Bus, then OC them to 1333MHz Bus... there are some "clovertown" quad core CPUs that run at 2.4GHz and 1066MHz bus, but they are very very difficult to find now (They overclock beautifully to 3.0GHz). There are quite a few 2.66GHz Quad core's on ebay lately, so you could have a very nice 2.66GHz 8-Core system (What I personally use). I did find some 2.6GHz with a 1066MHz bus that will be arriving next week, if I'm extremely lucky, they'll overclock to 3.3GHz! I have fun experimenting on my Mac Pro becuase the logic board is a prototype board, so I won't be out $3,000 if it fries!

Best of all, sell the 5150's you have in there, you'll most likely get $400-$500ish for them!

post-186700-1205986024_thumb.jpg

post-186700-1205986099_thumb.jpg