[How To] Make XP look like Vista

~pcwiz

29 posts in this topic

I really don't understand the point of sacrificing the positive things about XP when compared to Vista (i.e. lightweight UI and low memory usage) to make it look like Vista, but not getting its positive features (i.e. HW accelerated UI, DX10) - surely, you may as well just install Vista?

Mmm, yes. I agree. Vista does have many improvements which make it worth upgrading to other than the base aesthetic changes which everyone and their dog seems to gripe about. Anyways XP's hidden value is in the fact that you can make it look like basically anything you want. I don't see many other OSes offering this much flexibility. That means you can change XP's look when it gets old, and it has, so we change it. The change itself, depending on how you do it, doesn't comsume all that much memory. I'm currently using the Vista theme on a Dell Inspiron 7000 laptop, and I don't notice that big a difference between this and the classic XP look, despite the fact that I only have 192MB of RAM.

• 2 weeks later...
That's just your opinion. I think Vista looks better and so do a huge number of others (have you seen how many sites have been made dedicated to making XP look like vista?), but you may feel differently like others here.

This is all debatable, so no arguments or anything please. People interested in this can use the guide, no need to make a fuss about it ;)

Same here, I just can live without all the animations.

You know they've put the actual Windows Sidebar(compadible with sidebar gadgets) for XP up over at CrystalXP

• 2 weeks later...