NEW GA-P35-DS3P Revision...2.0 to 2.1!

6 posts in this topic

So I have been ready to buy my system from Newegg for a week now. I wanted to wait and get everything I need on one invoice. I have been waiting for the GA-P35-DS3P to come back in stock, but as of 5 minutes ago it has completely disappeared!

So I head over to Giga-byte.com, scared I would have to settle for the DS3L and low and behold version 2.1 is listed on the site. This is brand new as of at least the last 2 days. Only a few changes I could see.

Changes for v2.1:

Support for DDR2 1200 O.C. up from 1066 O.C.

Updated support for all new core 2 45nm processors

ATI Crossfire X support up from regular ATI Crossfire

Dynamic Energy Saver

Seems like some nice changes. I like that extra RAM headroom. I would think this update should result in even better/easier overclocking results.

Is ATI Crossfire X real improvement? I mean, without a really competitive card to the 8800GT it just seems like something I could over.

Ah well, the changes aren't groundbreaking I guess. I don't even use DDR2 1200 memory and CrossFire. Also, I don't know what the Dynamic Energy Saver is but most people don't even use the energy saving settings anyway :P But I am curious about the updated support for 45nm processors. What are the exact details on that?

I know a lot of the older boards could support 45nm. I know my current nForce 680i board does. The main reason I really want the 2.1 is because its the only one that i can find on newegg. If they had the 2.0 and it wasn't open box and cheaper I would get that. There shouldn't be too much of a performance difference though pcwiz.