Serious NOOB question.. but here goes..

Mercury1975

14 posts in this topic

ok, i installed the ToH Leopard release.. it installed fine...

i have a Dynex wireless g pci card installed, right?!

k, it's picking up the card (AND THE NETWORK).. because when finishing installation, it threw up the wireless network name "linksys" and asked if that was the network i wanted to connect to.. i selected yes.. and blah blah blah..

now.. when im on the desktop.. it has the little symbol in the right hand corner telling me that i am indeed connected.. i click on it and it says AIRPORT ON! well.. i still can't officially connect to the enter net.. ie.. i bring up Safari and it tells me i couldn't connect..

going into network properties it says "Airport has a self assigned ip address and may not be able to connect"..

is there ANYONE that can help me with this issue?! funny thing is... EVERYTHING else is working GREAT.. well, except sound, but im more worried about getting the internet up and running .. then i will tackle the AUDIO MONSTER!

im sorry im such a n00b and this is probably a STUPID question to some of you guys.. BUT i did atleast LOOK all over this forum before posting this question.. in the hopes that i don't get cursed out..

anyway.. ANY help is SERIOUSLY appreciated.. thanks in advance!

:)

People can help you if with problem you list you hardware configuration. Post your hardwares in your signature

here's the information that i CAN find.. like i said, total NOOB, but if anything more is needed i will have a friend help me get it..

Dell Dimension 4550

Motherboard: (can't find ANYTHING about my motherboard.. having someone look into it for me)

Model: --

Version: --

Bios Version: A08 (found this in system bios?)

Chipset: --

Audio: SBLive! 5.1 Surround (NOT WORKING)

LAN: (NOT WORKING)

CPU

Pentium 4 1.80GHz

Memory

1.50GB Ram

Video

Manufacturer: nVidia

Model: GeForce 6200

Bus Type: PCI Onboard

Memory Size: 256MB

Dual Screen Working: Not Tested

Resolution Changeable: Yes

Patches Used: NVINJECT_gfnvidia

Disc Drives

IDE DVD-RW: Working

Wifi: Dynex Wireless PCI Card (Atheros Chipset.. or so I've found online)

computer is detecting the card as AirPort but either says "No IP Adress" or "AirPort has self-assigned IP address and may not be able to connect to internet".. yet.. it shows FULL signal strength! :thumbsup_anim:

can someone PLEASE help me out?! i'm dual booting Windows XP/Mac OS X Leopard (ToH Release) and i'd REALLY love to do away with WinDOZE all together!! ANY help you can provide me with is GREATLY appreciated!!

thanks in advance!

:(

computer is detecting the card as AirPort but either says "No IP Address" or "AirPort has self-assigned IP address and may not be able to connect to internet".. yet.. it shows FULL signal strength! :(

can someone PLEASE help me out?!

I think this is your Problem you need to connect to your wireless router in order to get an IP address UNTIL you do that, your IP will stay with the error message! If you can connect to your router VIA XP go in and disable the encryption for a while(remember to reboot the router), then try and connect to it!

My wifi ONLY allows connection to NON-encrypted wifi-routers(sad) so you might have to do it this way or there is an Apple airport utility under UTILs to configure

FIRST see if it connects without encryption to see if it actually works!!

SticMAN

ok, there is NO encryption at all set on the router.. ie.. no password is needed to connect.. when in xp mode (as i am now) i boot in and it starts right up, picks up the connection just fine.. when i boot into leopard.. is shows Airport is connected to the linksys router but im unable to access the internet?!! odd, i know.. that's why im askin around for help! LOL!

i will wait for a reply and then i will check into the Apple AirPort utility.. i didn't even know about that.. could be the issue.. in reply, could you tell me what to expect in THAT so when i boot over to Leopard i will know what im doing?! thanks you kindly for your reply btw.. atleast now i feel im finally getting somewhere!!

computer is detecting the card as AirPort but either says "No IP Address" or "AirPort has self-assigned IP address and may not be able to connect to internet".. yet.. it shows FULL signal strength! :)

can someone PLEASE help me out?!

I think this is your Problem you need to connect to your wireless router in order to get an IP address UNTIL you do that, your IP will stay with the error message! If you can connect to your router VIA XP go in and disable the encryption for a while(remember to reboot the router), then try and connect to it!

My wifi ONLY allows connection to NON-encrypted wifi-routers(sad) so you might have to do it this way or there is an Apple airport utility under UTILs to configure

FIRST see if it connects without encryption to see if it actually works!!

SticMAN

k, jumped ahead and went into AirPort util.. and when i scan for AirPort deivce it comes up empty.. YET there is STILL the icon at the top that says im picking up the network.. AND when i click on it it says "AirPort ON".. odd..

no suggestions?!

;):P

it depends on your WLAN-LAN(Network) general.

Try to setup in system extensions > network ( there you see a green or red light besides the connection type, green is ok, red there are problems)

try to use the advanced option to set up manually your ip-adress. Leopard has known problems with self-assigned ip-adresses.

it depends on your WLAN-LAN(Network) general.

Try to setup in system extensions > network ( there you see a green or red light besides the connection type, green is ok, red there are problems)

try to use the advanced option to set up manually your ip-adress. Leopard has known problems with self-assigned ip-adresses.

k, tried MANUALLY ENTERING IP ADDRESS and it finally SAID "CONNECTED".. but then i STILL couldn't pull up the internet!? :D

im thinking it must be a problem with my Dynex Wireless Card?!

k, tried MANUALLY ENTERING IP ADDRESS and it finally SAID "CONNECTED".. but then i STILL couldn't pull up the internet!? :P

im thinking it must be a problem with my Dynex Wireless Card?!

I had a similar issue when I first tried to connect. Here's what worked for me.

Ignore your airport in the menu bar, but after you select your router and 'fail' to get "enter net." Then go into Network in System Preferences. Mess with the tool settings on the bottom right to make sure your airport is the only active, and highest priority for connection. Make sure your 'automatic' setting is set to your router and make ALL settings automatic.

Click on 'assist me,' and also set it to automatic, when it says you cannot get internet, run the airport tool. Now, for some reason, as soon as that tool ran my connection started working even though the airport tool could not find any base stations.

I think the problem is, for some reason, it only looks for apple airport basestations at launch, and failing to find one seemed to make it work.

Ignore your airport in the menu bar, but after you select your router and 'fail' to get "enter net." Then go into Network in System Preferences. Mess with the tool settings on the bottom right to make sure your airport is the only active, and highest priority for connection. Make sure your 'automatic' setting is set to your router and make ALL settings automatic.

Click on 'assist me,' and also set it to automatic, when it says you cannot get internet, run the airport tool. Now, for some reason, as soon as that tool ran my connection started working even though the airport tool could not find any base stations.

I think the problem is, for some reason, it only looks for apple airport basestations at launch, and failing to find one seemed to make it work.

rotflmao.. i just noticed i said "ENTER NET".. who knows what i was thinkin when i wrote that.. probably "ugh.. i wish i could get this {censored} workin".. lol..

anyhow.. thanks for your response.. i've tried changing EVERYTHING i could find to automatic.. but im only finding ONE setting that i can change to automatic and it's under the settings where you select dhcp blah blah blah and close to the bottom it has automatic and it's set to that and it still didn't work.. :D

i wish i could enjoy osx the way the rest of you guys are!! :(

WELL!!! I FINALLY GOT IT! i'm posting this FROM MAC OS X LEOPARD! YAY! i tried changing EVERYTHING to automatic.. for some reason, that just wouldn't work for me.. so.. i thought.. hmmm.. what if i went in and just TRIED entering everything manually.. so.. i tried and BAM! here i am!! thanks to EVERYONE who gave me suggestions.. the next thing im going to need help with is my speakers/soundcard! i mean, i AM going to want to be listening to my music after all!!

THANKS AGAIN YOU GUYS!!

Eric

WELL!!! I FINALLY GOT IT! i'm posting this FROM MAC OS X LEOPARD! YAY! i tried changing EVERYTHING to automatic.. for some reason, that just wouldn't work for me.. so.. i thought.. hmmm.. what if i went in and just TRIED entering everything manually.. so.. i tried and BAM! here i am!! thanks to EVERYONE who gave me suggestions.. the next thing im going to need help with is my speakers/soundcard! i mean, i AM going to want to be listening to my music after all!!

THANKS AGAIN YOU GUYS!!

Eric

Awesome man!

FYI, apple just released an update to the airport software, as people were having trouble finding /logging into non-apple routers from the airport menu... why am I not surprised about that?

Awesome man!

FYI, apple just released an update to the airport software, as people were having trouble finding /logging into non-apple routers from the airport menu... why am I not surprised about that?

HAHAHA.. IMAGINE THAT!! after all that trouble.. lol

that does lead me to another couple of questions that i think i'm needing help with!

first of all.. i tried doing an software update.. once it was installed, i rebooted and then the computer kept going into a loop and restarting/shutting down/restarting.. is it because of the VERSION of Leopard i'm using maybe?! i thought i read somewhere that you can't actually download updates FROM SOFTWARE UPDATE but rather, have to use patches to do so?! if that's the case, could you direct me in that issue, if possible?!

secondly.. i have a 16bit creative sound blaster sound card.. and the Logitech SBLive! 5.1 Surround Speakers with NO sound.. is there a patch or driver that can be used so i can get my sound card working?!

once again, ANY information you can help me with would be GREATLY appreciated! i am very THANKFUL btw for all the input previously! i'm really excited to be using OSX!! i was just SOOOOOO OVER anything Microsoft, but i'm sure most, if not all, of you can relate!

also.. as an added bonus.. could you suggest software that is cool.. im clients, mail clients etc.. that would be awesome as well!!

Thanks again for all your assistance,

Eric