PowerMac G5 2.5 vs. Hackintosh

8 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I've been following the progress of OSx86 ever since Steve said that Mac OS X has been living another life a couple years ago. I've been a Mac user forever but was thinking about unloading my PowerMac G5 to build a Hackintosh.

Right now I have:

PowerMac G5 Dual 2.5 with 2GB of RAM

I was looking to build this:

Asus P5W DH Deluxe

Intel E6700 CPU

4GB Corsair RAM

ATi x1900xt

750GB HD

Lian Li enclosure

I was wondering what kind of performance gains I can expect. Any guys running the e6700 weigh in? How does this build look for compatibility? I guess before I start buying all the parts I wanted to make sure it was going to be worth my while...I could just buy another 2GB for the G5, but its starting to get old...I know that theoretically the Core 2 Duo is faster, but what kind of real gains can be expected with the makeshift system running 10.5?

I mostly use my desktop for print/web design and video compression. Thanks for looking guys and any info would be really great.

Cory

2 Days ago i build a Machine based on the P5W DH Deluxe and an Q6600 with 4GB RAM and ATi 1950 Pro 512 Mb for my Son in an Lian-Li V600 enclosure. Works very well! I would expect that you can boost your Speed against a 2,5 GHz G5 Dual tremendously. Maybe at least 60 - 80% depending on software use. Compatibility is angry-making good, it feels, acts, runs like a real mac, only faster, much faster and much more flexible (and cost-effective!!!) then the offerings steve has in store for us.

I formyself has a Intel Bad Axe 2 with tons of RAM and RAID-HDs in a Lian-Li V1200, looks great and is running at 3 GHz stable with a Q6600.

I think you will love it....;-)

Thanks so much for the response! I was thinking about getting the Q6600 but didn't know if the 10.5 would use the quad-core all that much? For those with the Q6600, would it be worth the bump from the e6700?

Great to hear that it will feel like a Mac. 60-80% would be nice. Especially with CS3! Any other thoughts? Thanks again.

You might want to look into a more recent p35 based motherboard for you quad (since the chipset is specific to quads). I have the asus p5k premium and it's 100% working other than wireless. Also, I beieve the Q is quad and the E's are dual core. I have my q6600 at 3.6ghz and everything is running great.

I know it's not quite the same thing, but I bought a G4 MDD over the summer in hopes it would be just as fast as my hackint0sh... Sadly, it paled in comparison. I am now selling the MDD G4 and I've already built my new dedicated hack. It only has a Celeron 420 @ 1.6 GHz, but it's so much faster than my G4, it really isn't funny.

The nice thing about selling your G5 is that you can still probably get at least $500 depending on the specs. If you can't/don't want to afford a new Intel based MacPro (or other model) sell the G5, build a hack. I love my MacBook, but I also love my hack. Besides, even though it's going to take a few years, PPC will no longer be supported by OS X at some point.

Yea, I was expecting to get around $1200. My build was going to come in around there if not just a hair less. This is why I wanted to make sure I wouldn't be giving anything up. I think I am going to go with the Q6600 instead of the E6700. Its about $100 more, but it sounds a lot cooler to say you have a "Quad" ; )

Yea, I was expecting to get around $1200. My build was going to come in around there if not just a hair less. This is why I wanted to make sure I wouldn't be giving anything up. I think I am going to go with the Q6600 instead of the E6700. Its about $100 more, but it sounds a lot cooler to say you have a "Quad" ; )

I am told the Q6600 really helps in compressor but you have to setup a virtual cluster. None to difficult with Qmaster.

Someday I hope to build one, in the meantime I struggle to come up with 100 euro to build a 945 / Celeron 420 / 1 gig Vanilla machine :blink: