Disk Utility stops responding!

cobradera

16 posts in this topic

Hello

I am currently trying to install OS X 10.5 but i get stuck at Disk Utility

I have the ToH 10.5 DVD version and Kalyway 10.5.1 DVD version.

I have a 400 gb wd sata II hdd partitioned in 2 : 1st boot partition 30 gb and the 2nd one the rest of the space, both ntfs

The problem i have is like this: When i go to Disk Utility and try to erase the first partition to convert it to HFS+ the program says Preparing to erase and after a while it stops responding and i have to reset my pc

I must mention that i tried converting the 1st partition to fat32/ext3/ext2 and then repeated the process and the same result

My pc config is :

MB : Asus P5N32E SLI PLUS

Video : nVidia 7900gs 256mb/256bit

RAM : 2*1GB Dual Channel 800 Mhz Corsair

HDD : 400 gb WD Caviar Sata II

IDE : DVD-RW

Help pls! :)

Hi guys...looks like we all have the same problem.

My config:

Intel Core Quad 6400 4x2.4 Ghz

ASUS P5N32-E SLI PLUS

2 x GeForce 8600 512 MB

2 GB RAM

1 HD SATA 500 GB with several Windows partitions NTFS

1 HD SATA 80 GB unformatted

2 x TSCORP DVD burner SATA

I was trying to install from Kalyway_Leopard_10.5.1_Intel_SSE2/SSE3 to the unformatted 80 GB SATA HD.

Disk utility correctly sees all the drives and volumes (even the NTFS partitions on the other HD)....but when I try to initialize the 80 GB HD....an "I/O Error" comes out.

By booting in "-v" mode I was able to see that the nvidia C55+MCP55P chipset (NForce 650i + NForce 570) is recognized.

Is there anybody who successfully installed 10.5.1 on this mobo?

• 2 weeks later...

hi there, i have the same problem. however, when i install kalyway or toh on my spare IDE-drive (80 gigs) it works fine, but doesn't boot up. i never got a running system, i got a full succesful install, but no boot.

when i want to format my sata drives with disk utility it always crashes.

anyone got some hints?

Intel Q6600 4x2.4 Ghz

ASUS P5N32-E SLI PLUS

8800 gts 640 mb

4 gig ram

hey guys, thought I'd try to throw some out there too...

I've been trying to install to my system for some time now with multiple mods and still am getting no where. I'm running vista in one partition (165GB) and have created another partition on the disk through windows diskpart from the command promt:

diskpart

list disk

select disk 0 (where "0" is the number of the disk I am trying to install to)

list partition (this is where I check to see that I have space to create a new partition)

create partition primary id=af (I read on another post that when you do this the "af" format should give you a format that can be read/modified from diskutility in the installer)

I am unable to finish any modifications because my diskutility stops responding as well. I think it may be caused by an incompatibility from my SATA controller or the fact that my controller will not let me modify another disk on the same controller as the DVD I am installing from. (it should be noted that all of my devices - HDs, CDRWs, DVDRWs - are SATA as I do not have an IDE controller/ports on the motherboard)

One thing I've had problems with, that you guys may be able to do though, is go through f8 and make sure your partition is bootable and mounted. Mine will not mount so I have major problems there. use fdisk to rewrite the entire drive to the hfs format.

if all this doesn't help, I am trying out FreeBSIE which is FreeBSD but the live CD version. download the cd and run it without installing. use the partitioner built in and reset up your hard drive the way you want it.

I'll keep ya posted as to my progress but maybe some of this will help.

My thoughts on why this is happening... I think the SATA controller is only allowing me to use one drive at a time - either the DVD-ROM or the HD - to make any changes to it. I am trying other versions of OSx86 to see if this is limited to just those makes.

HOWEVER - remember that I am only just starting out with OSx86. as of right now all of this is coming from help I've found through other posts.

I'm in the same boat as you guys - using the 10.5.1 AMD DVD.

Sata is recognized, but times out anytime you try to access a drive in diskutil.

I plugged an IDE ATA drive in and was able to install... Looks like something is wrong with the SATA chipset.

I don't think its something that is wrong with the chipset... just that the package doesn't support SATA writing. Its making me want to try to install to my external just to have OS X running on the comp. I hate the thought of it so I guess I'll just keep searching for a better SATA package or remake an install disc.

Hmmm..... Havent re-tried SATA yet, but downloaded a newer version of the AppleNForceATA.kext... This one has a bunch more vendor/dev ID's. Took my IDE xbench from 7 to 57!!! Maybe SATA is fixed as well.... will try in a few days..

hi, as far as i know, there is no "built-in" support for sata by leopard or the distributions available. you might include your necessary driver with the iso, but thats rather complicated (for me). my solution was to remove all sata drives and use some slow old ide drive. diskutil works fine if there is no sata harddisk.

ff

Just an update from earlier... I am now running Leopard through SATA; how I did it is a little messed up though. My first incline was to install to an external HDD and see if I could get SATA to become read/write while I run it and thus reinstall to a SATA Drive, but now I am trying a new method. I ust purchased an adapter to allow me to run a SATA drive as an external USB so I am once again installing to an external drive, only this time, I will rehook the SATA HD to the motherboard and run it from inside and through the SATA controller to test if I can get the read/write capability once it is installed. I've found that I can run the computer from the USB connection though if I have to and retry different methods to get the SATA ports working correcty.

I think the guys that are having problems might be the ones where their only option is to use the SATA drives because they don't have IDE ports on the motherboard. So far I have yet to find a PCI-IDE card that is supported.

The cable I bought to allow me to manipulate the SATA drive externally was this one. You don't have to use this one... this should be a starting point for finding the right adapter for you. After I installed to the disk, I had to use the procedures I outlined in another post... but I'll post them here too:

Disclaimer... this worked for my system, and as such I am not responsible for how it handles in yours. I wrote this guide simply to help you understand how to make your own system work...

1. Boot into Zephyroth 10.5.1 DVD

2. Install OSX to (now) external USB-to-SATA HD disk with MBR bootloader (configured through disk utility/partitions)... when finished with installation:

3. Reboot into installation DVD

4. Open Terminal:

a.
diskutil list

b.
fdisk -e /dev/rdiskX
where
X
is the drive # you installed to seen in step A

c.
update

d.
f Y
where Y is the partition you installed to seen in step A

e.
w

f. answer
y

g.
q

h.
reboot

5. Boot into OSX using "-s" flag:

a.
mount -uw /

b.
rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/GeForce.kext

c.
rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/Ge*kext

d.
rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/NV*kext

e.
exit

6. Go through account setup process

7. When asked about Network Connection, specify none... finish setup

8. you should now have booted into OSX via your external... now to alter it so you can change it to internal.

9. find the AppleNForceATA.kext file that was in the zip file from above and place it on the desktop.

10. Open Terminal:

a.
cd Desktop/

b.
sudo cp -Rf AppleNForceATA.kext /System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/

c.
sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext

d.
sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext

e.
sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/iTunesPhoneDriver.kext
(since I don't have an iPhone I don't really care to see this message pop up when I boot)

f.
sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

g.
sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

h.
sudo reboot

11. If working correctly, shut down and reconfigure via Hardware... external to internal

Hope it works for ya.