Overclock CPU but still use Speedstep?

~anima

5 posts in this topic

Hi there, I really like to OC my E6600 to lets say 3,2GHz stable. I've done this before, but when I boot into OS X the Speedstep will not clock down my CPU. Is there a way that my CPu still can be clocked down by speedstep in os x?

• 2 weeks later...
Hi there, I really like to OC my E6600 to lets say 3,2GHz stable. I've done this before, but when I boot into OS X the Speedstep will not clock down my CPU. Is there a way that my CPu still can be clocked down by speedstep in os x?

Speedstep hampers overclocking, if you overclock disable it. simple!

No, there seems to be no solution for that at the moment.

The guy who has made the speedstep.kext has stopped developping it. It was a solution for laptops (means 1,2,-1,8 ghz) only anyway. (works with IAtkos standard kernel, if you set your max cpu freq to 1,8 ghz only)

All we can do at the moment is to run our overclocking at moderate speed levels to avoid a noisy and overheated pc.

I have always used just the C1E which lowers the voltage to the chip when not under load works fine in both Win XP, Debian GNU/Linux and I presume Mac OS X since the temperatures of my chip (q6600 G0) are the same in it as the others can't see the voltages though so not entirely sure.