EFI

agent-squirrel

4 posts in this topic

Firstly let me apologize for opening a new topic but i couldnt find anything similar so here goes.

My acer aspire 5720 is running leopard with the PC_EFI V8 patch chanloaded from grub. My problem is vanilla Kernel will not boot, i have vanilla dsmos.kext and have updated to 10.5.1 then replaced the 10.5.1 vanilla kernel with the brazilmac one but kept the vanilla one for testing. The only issue seems to stem from NX support in BIOS Or HPET support as everything else i have done to the letter, but you see my laptop doesnt have a bios per-say rather an EFI emulated BIOS as it is using the santa rosa chipset with Insyde H20's EFI, so you see i have a very limited set of bios features to go at and NX nor HPET or in there.

P.S. since updating my system to 10.5.1 and replacing the kernel my DWL-G122 is no longer recognised by the ralink drivers.

heh Hagar, it's the same as Dell's. They run EFI with a bios wrapper. Generally Laptop bioses/EFIs have much fewer options. NX and HPET are probably controlled by the ACPI and what OS they detect. If you're savvy enough you can boot up Linux livecd, dump and decompile your ACPI DSDT, and take a look at that. That might give you some insight into what could be causing your problem. Unfortunately there is no good way to load custom DSDT. The only easy way in fact is to grab DFE's PC EFI and add in code to load a whole ACPI image.