[Guide] Gateway NX260X

Stravaganza

9 posts in this topic

(Updated on 16 February 2008)

Dear Gateway NX260X users,

This post is an installation guide for Mac OS X 10.5 on Gateway NX260X. I wish this guide serves as a depot for hard-to-find detailed information obtained by trial and error. You are welcome to ask non-lazy questions and make any contributions. If you find any error in the procedure or typo in the description, please let me know; I will update this writing accordingly. You may find the underlined links useful.

Mac OS X 10.5 Installation on Gateway NX260X

deskxw5.th.jpg

In this guide, I demonstrate how to install Mac OS X 10.5 on Gateway NX260X using BrazilMAC DVD on GPT (GUID Partition Table) using Netkas's PC EFI (Extensible Firmware Interface) v8.0, and then trivially show how to update the system to 10.5.2. Here's my NX260X specifications with indications of what's working and what's not working with Mac OS X 10.5.2.

A. Specifications

• Manufacturer/Model: Gateway NX260X
  • BIOS: PhoenixBIOS ver 75.09
  • Motherboard/Subsystems
    • North chipset: Intel 945GM
    • South chipset: Intel 82801GHM (ICH7-M/U)
    • Video: Intel GMA 950 with 64MB shared memory (QE/CI and resolution change working)
    • Audio: SigmaTel 9250 High Definition (working)
    • Wired: Intel 82573L 1Gbit Ethernet (working)
    • Keyboard/Trackpad: Unknown PS/2 (working)
    • USB: Unknown 4 USB 2.0 (working)
    • FireWire: Unknown FireWire 400Mb/s (working)
    • Modem: Motorola SM56 56K V.92 Data Fax (not working and won't work)
    • Card reader: Unknown 7-in-1 Digital Card Reader (not working)

[*]Processor: Intel Core Duo T2400 1.833GHz FSB 667MHz (both cores working at full speed)

[*]Memory: Hynix 1GB (512MBx2) DDR2 533 (working at full speed)

[*]Hard: Hitachi 80GB SATA 1.5Gb/s (working)

[*]Optical: (in-bay) Philips CDRW/DVD IDE (working)

[*]Wireless: (on-board) Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Mini PCIe (not working and won't work)

[*]Wireless: (replacement) Dell TrueMobile 1490 Mini PCIe (working as AirPort Extreme with WPA)

Yours probably differs from mine, but I believe this guide can serve at least as a starting point because the motherboards are the same.

B. BIOS Settings

While I did not know all the differences among different BIOS versions, I decided to upgrade mine with ver 75.09. Then I found out the following configuration is just good for my HacBook.

• Plug & Play O/S: (WinXP/Vista)
  • Legacy USB Support: (Disabled)
  • Large Disk Access Mode: (DOS)
  • Wireless LAN: (Restore)
  • No Execute Mode Mem Protection (Enabled)
  • VT Feature (Enabled)

If you wish to upgrade your BIOS, which is not necessary, then visit Drivers and Downloads, and get the most recent one. Note that NX260X needs Microsoft Windows to load new BIOS. Also note that BIOS ver 75.09 is not Microsoft Windows XP MCE (which comes with the machine) compatible. Hence if you upgrade your BIOS with ver 75.09 or above, you won't be able to install Windows XP MCE without installing Windows Vista first on your system and then downgrading your BIOS using the installed Windows Vista. Always back up the current BIOS before you upgrade or downgrade it.

C. WiFi Replacement (Optional) (Credit: HCL of OSx86 Project)

Currently there's no working solution for Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG card. There's an effort to make one, but it's not working. Hence I replaced it with Dell TrueMobile 1490 (model: DW1490, chipset: Broadcom BCM4312, price: 6.75 USD on eBay including S/H), which follows 802.11abg standards and supports WEP/WPA. Once you have installed Mac OS X on NX260X, it works out of the box; it uses Apple native driver. Although System Profiler reports it as Third Party Wireless Card (see the above picture), it connects with 54Mbps (AirPort Extreme) and WPA function. (The BIOS doesn't lockout.) If you are not familar with replacing Mini PCIe cards, read Component Replacement Manual for further information. When to replace is not important; even if you swap WiFi cards after Mac OS X is installed, the new card will be detected and work.

D. One Big Problem (Credit: Stravaganza of Insanely Mac)

During the installation almost all components are detected by BrazilMAC DVD except the HDD. Hence if you use this DVD, the installation won't detect your HDD, which makes the installation impossible, showing the forever waiting mouse cursor. But once Mac OS X is installed on the system, and as long as you keep the original AppleACHIPort.kext and IOACHIFamily.kext, you don't have this problem.

E. Making BrazilMAC DVD (Credit: BrazilMAC of OSx86 Scene)

The following procedure is of one-time task. As long as you keep the output DVD, you don't need to do the following procedure ever again. Read BrazilMAC's guide carefully, and obtain his patch file (version: 31 Oct 2007, size: about 13.4MB in compressed form), which is linked in his guide. Then modify shell script 9a581-patch.sh such a way that the script does not replace AppleACHIPort.kext and IOACHIFamily.kext. To do so, open the script file with your favorite text editor, put pound signs at the beginnings of lines 67 and 69 to comment them out, close the script, and remove these two kexts from files/extensions folder. Then follow BrazilMAC's guide right up to but before "INSTALLATION METHOD 1". When you do patch,

• do it on a Mac (or Hac) running Mac OS X 10.4.x not 10.5.x, and
  • make sure you have enough free space on the HDD you are working on

because the script doesn't check these things. The output of the modified script should be the exactly same as that of the unmodified one, which looks like

Converting DMG to editable image...
Reading whole disk (Apple_HFS : 0)...
................................................................................
Elapsed Time: 13m 51.982s
Speed: 8.8Mbytes/sec
Savings: 0.0%
created: /Volumes/Constant/patch/leopard.iso.cdr
Mounting new ISO read-write...
/dev/disk3					  /Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD
Waiting for leopard.iso to be mounted...
Renaming image to osx86dvd...
Disk renamed to osx86dvd
Removing Xcode Tools...
Removing X11user and 6 languages files...
Removing minibless...
Removing printer packages...
Removing OSInstall...
Removing Kernel files...
Removing Boot-related things...
Removing Extensions...
Removing files Needed for kernels without power_management_init called
Replacing minibless...
Replacing OSInstall.mpkg...
Replacing boot-related files...
Replacing Kernel...
Replacing extensions...
ALL PATCHES APPLIED !!!
Creating bootable DVD in 10 seconds...
You might want to CTRL-Z and inspect /Volumes/osx86dev now.
Size of boot image is 4 sectors -> No emulation
Total translation table size: 2048
Total rockridge attributes bytes: 0
Total directory bytes: 0
Path table size(bytes): 10
Max brk space used 0
241 extents written (0 MB)
Creating a bootable image and remove any previous copies...
................................................................................
created: /Volumes/Constant/patch/Leo_Patched_DVD.dmg

Partition map (with 512 byte blocks) on '/dev/rdisk4'
#:				type name	length   base	( size )
1: Apple_partition_map Apple	   63 @ 1	  
2:		  Apple_Free Extra  9177024 @ 64	  (  4.4G)

Device block size=512, Number of Blocks=9177088 (4.4G)
DeviceType=0x0, DeviceId=0x0

Creating partition on the image...
Copying data onto the image...
900+0 records in
900+0 records out
460800 bytes transferred in 1.830124 secs (251786 bytes/sec)
Initialized /dev/rdisk4s3 as a 4480 MB HFS Plus volume
DITTOING...
BLESSING...
"disk4" unmounted.
"disk4" ejected.
Update prebinding...
update_prebinding: error: corrupt binary, library ordinal too big
Renaming to original image name...
Disk renamed to Mac OS X Install DVD
"disk3" unmounted.
"disk3" ejected.
Renaming image to actual extension type...
/dev/disk3			  Apple_partition_scheme		 
/dev/disk3s1			Apple_partition_map			
/dev/disk3s3			Apple_HFS		   /Volumes/osx86dvd
Disk renamed to Mac OS X Install Disc x86
"disk3" unmounted.
"disk3" ejected.
Removing tempdisk and useless dirs...
ALL Done !!

If everything goes well, the number of errors should be no more than one in total, which you may get at Updating prebinding. The output of the above process is a single ISO file with name "Leo_Patched_DVD.iso" and the volume label is "Mac OS X Install Disc x86". Burn this ISO image on a single-layered DVD disc using your favorite program such as Nero (on Windows) or Disk Utility (on Mac OS X). We call this "DVD BrazilMAC DVD". From now on, do not follow BrazilMAC's guide at all because we are done with it.

F. Leopard Installation (Mac OS X 10.5.0)

Boot with BrazilMAC DVD. It takes about 20 minutes for an installation dialog box to show up. Once the dialog box shows up, run Disk Utility from the menu. At this point, you should see your HDD on the left panel. Choose the HDD and partition it with GPT option by clicking Option button at the bottom of the right panel. Once the disk is formatted, close Disk Utility, and install Mac OS X 10.5 with all the packages unselected. Once the installation is done, it might reboot by itself. Keep the machine off.

G. PC EFI Installation (Credit: Netkas of Netkas.org)

The following is for installation procedure only. You do not need to do the following for every system update or kernel update. As of 15 February 2008, the newest PC EFI version is 8.0, which you can download from topic pc_efi_V80 in chat room #leopard of IRC server irc.osx86.hu. You may need an IRC client to connect the IRC server. This PC EFI file is in a compressed form. We assume that you already uncompress it under the root directory with name pc_efi_v80 on a USB drive (formatted using FAT32) with volume label CONSTANT. Also assume that you installed Mac OS X in the previous step on a partition with volume name Fermatian.

Plug the USB drive into your NX260X, and reboot with BrazilMAC DVD again. Now we follow iGuru's guide to install PC EFI v8.0. To do so, open Terminal, and type the following to find out which disc/slice holds your Mac OS X installation.

# Figure out which disc/slice holds Mac OS X installation.
diskutil list
# The following is output of the above command.
# You don't need to type the following.
/dev/disk0
  #:					   TYPE NAME					SIZE	   IDENTIFIER
  0:	  GUID_partition_scheme						*74.5 Gi	disk0
  1:						EFI						 200.0 Mi   disk0s1
  2:				  Apple_HFS Fermatian			   20.0 Gi	disk0s2
  3:				  Apple_HFS Users				   54.1 Gi	disk0s3

The disc/slice holding the installation is disk0s2 in this example. Yours probably differs from mine; find out which disc/slice under IDENTIFIER column has Fermatian under NAME column. Type the followings in Terminal to install PC EFI v8.0.

# Change directory where you keep EFI.
cd /Volumes/CONSTANT/pc_efi_v80
#
# Unmount this disk/slice to install EFI.
diskutil unmount disk0s2
./startupfiletool /dev/disk0s2 ./boot_v8
#
# If you didn't partition your HDD with GPT option, STOP now.
# Otherwise the following two commands make your Leopard bootable. 
dd if=./guid/boot1h of=/dev/disk0s2 bs=512 count=1
diskutil unmountDisk disk0
dd if=./guid/boot0 of=/dev/disk0 bs=400 count=1
#
# Check the disc integrity.
diskutil mountDisk disk0
diskutil repairVolume disk0s2

That's it. Do not reboot the system just yet.

H. KEXT Patch (Credit: All kext developers)

You may need to do the following after system update or kernel update. As you may know, all non-Apple machines running Mac OS X or simply hackintoshes need kext patches. This is and will be always true unless Apple releases its Operating System for non-Apple machines. Hence you need to know what kexts need to be added, replaced, or removed on your machine. Also you need to know how to do it. If you do not know how to add, replace, or remove kexts properly, it is good time to read SynthetiX's guide.

Every hackintosh needs:

• the original AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext to be removed,
  • a dsmos.kext to be added, and
  • the original AppleSMBIOS.kext to be replaced with a modified one.

and on top of that, Gateway NX260X needs:

• the original AppleHDA.kext to be replaced with a modified one for SigmaTel 9250 audio,
  • a Natit.kext to be added for Intel GMA 950 video, and
  • an ApplePS2Controller.kext and ACPIPS2Nub.kext to be added for PS/2 keyboard and trackpad.

Hence you need to patch about seven kext files in total. Here are the links where you can get these kexts.

• dsmos.kext comes with BrazilMAC patch, which is linked in BrazilMAC's guide.
  • AppleSMBIOS.kext is at OSx86 Simplified. Choose the customized version for MacBook.
  • Natit.kext was made by Paulicat.
  • A modified AppleHDA.kext can be generated by Taruga's AppleHDA patcher with SigmaTel 9250 Linux dump.
  • ApplePS2Controller.kext and ACPIPS2Nub.kext are included in a modified AppleACPIPlatform.kext, which you can get from topic pc_efi_V80 in chat room #leopard of IRC server irc.osx86.hu. Look for REBOOT FIX link. In the following we replace the original AppleACPIPlatform.kext with this modified one instead of adding ApplePS2Controller.kext and ACPIPS2Nub.kext one by one.

We assume that you already have dsmos.kext, AppleSMBIOS.kext, Natit.kext, and AppleACPIPlatform.kext under the root directory on a USB drive (formatted using FAT32) with volume label CONSTANT. Also assume that you installed Mac OS X in the previous step on a partition with volume Fermatian. Now open Terminal, and type the followings to patch kexts:

# Change the user privilege.
# If it asks the password, give the password to it.
sudo -s
#
# Remove three Apple original kexts.
cd /Volumes/Fermatian/System/Library/Extensions
rm -rf AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext AppleSMBIOS.kext AppleACPIPlatform.kext
#
# Add five kexts.
cp -R /Volumes/CONSTANT/dsmos.kext .
cp -R /Volumes/CONSTANT/AppleSMBIOS.kext .
cp -R /Volumes/CONSTANT/Natit.kext
cp -R /Volumes/CONSTANT/AppleACPIPlatform.kext .
#
# Fix ownerships and permissions.
chown -R root:wheel dsmos.kext AppleSMBIOS.kext Natit.kext AppleACPIPlatform.kext
chmod -R 755 dsmos.kext AppleSMBIOS.kext Natit.kext AppleACPIPlatform.kext
#
# Check the disc integrity.
diskutil repairPermissions disk0s2
diskutil repairVolume disk0s2

Close Terminal and shutdown the system. Since we don't need BrazilMAC DVD and the USB drive, remove them from the machine. Boot the system. While the machine boots up, hold F8 until Darwin bootloader shows up. At boot option prompt, type "-f" and hit enter key, which causes all kernel extension caches to be flushed and rebuilt. If this is the very first boot from HDD after Mac OS X installation, you will go through Welcome screen and user account creation. Enjoy them. Once Leopard is running, verify that the keyboard, trackpad, video, and wireless are working. Run Taruga's AppleHDA Patcher with SigmaTel 9250 Linux dump for the audio. The patch process is self-explanatory. After AppleHDA Patcher finishes, run Disk Utility and do Repair Disk Permissions. Reboot the system with all kernel extension caches flushed. Verify the audio is working. That's it for the installation of Mac OS X 10.5.0. Congratulations! :)

I. EFI String (Optional) (Credit: Netkas of Netkas.org)

You may need to do this procedure just once, ever. I am sorry, this section is not complete. I am too tired of writing this guide. This section is completely optional and hence you can skip this. If you know what this section is about, you may already know that a single EFI string can fix your video, audio, and Time Machine. Otherwise, please read this very nice guide written by MoDo of Netkas.org.

J. Update to Mac OS X 10.5.2 (Credit: Netkas of Netkas.org)

You should not update your system to 10.5.2 using Software Update. If you do, it will break your system. Go to Apple website and download MacOSXUpdCombo10.5.2.dmg file. Open Terminal, and type the following to intercept AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext which is to be installed during the update process:

# Change the user privilege.
# If it asks the password, give the password to it.
sudo -s
#
# Intercept AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext.
while sleep 1; do mv /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext; done

Now double-click MacOSXUpdCombo10.5.2.dmg to start the update. Once the update is done, do not restart the machine. Instead open with your favorite text editor /System/InstallAtStartup/scripts/1, replace the line of /System/Library/Extensions/Dont Steal Mac OS X.kext with /System/Library/Extensions/dsmos.kext, and save the file. Then repeat Section H. Congratulations! You have Mac OS X 10.5.2 working on your NX260X.

K. Dual-Boot (Optional) (Credit: I_am...me of Insanely Mac)

Since we chose GPT for the HDD partition, we cannot install Microsoft Windows XP 32-bit. We can, however, install Windows XP 64-bit and Windows Vista 32 or 64-bit. I will demonstrate how to install Windows Vista 32-bit. Open Disk Utility, and make a partition with at least 10GB for Windows Vista. Once the partition is made, choose the volume on the left panel. On the right panel, choose Erase with Volume Format option MS-DOS (FAT). Then confirm your choice by clicking Erase... button. Put your Windows Vista DVD into the DVD drive, and reboot the machine. Make sure that the machine boots with Windows Vista DVD.

Once the machine boots with Windows Vista DVD, you will see the installation screen. Choose the partition on which you intended to install Windows Vista (which should be shown as FAT file system), and remove it to create an NTFS formatted partition. Install Windows Vista on the newly created NTFS partition. Note that Darwin bootloader is gone while the machine is rebooting several times during the installation. Once the installation finishes, put BrazilMAC DVD into the DVD drive, and reboot the machine from BrazilMAC DVD. Plug the USB drive which we used in Section G, open Terminal and type the following to bring back Darwin bootloader:

# Change directory where you keep EFI.
cd /Volumes/CONSTANT/pc_efi_v80
#
dd if=./guid/boot0 of=/dev/disk0 bs=400 count=1

Reboot the machine without BrazilMAC DVD. While the machine boots up, hold F8 until Darwin bootloader shows up. You should see Foreign OS section, which is Windows Vista that you just installed. You should verify both of Leopard and Windows Vista are bootable. Congratulations again! :P

Z. What's Not Working

Here's a very short list of what's not working (on my NX260X anyway). If you find more, please let me know.

• During booting (i.e. when the gray Apple logo on white background shows), the resolution is stretched 1024x768. It really doesn't matter (because once the machine boots up, the resolution comes back to whatever you chose before), but the resolution cannot be changed to 1280x800 during booting.
  • The battery icon on the menu bar doesn't show. Here's an unstable solution anyway.
  • Sleep is not perfect, i.e. once the system wakes up from the sleep, the keyboard and trackpad behave funny for a while. Restart doesn't work either.
  • System Profiler reports a wrong FSB speed.

Don't forget label your Gateway NX260X "Apple" and get your Mac OS X Install DVD legally. My only wish is that a lot of people with Gateway NX260X enjoy Mac OS X 10.5 on their laptops. Finally I wish to thank my good friend TJW who graciously gave me this Gateway NX260X. Also I wish to thank those who developed kexts and drivers, did experiments with their systems, reported their results, and spent valuable time and money to contribute to this community. :)

Eject Icon (Appendix of 23 January 2008)

Finally I found a way to get rid of the eject icon on the menu bar, duh. With or without it, you can alway use F12 to eject optical discs and hence it seems pointless to have it. Press a Command key, grap the icon and drop it anywhere except on the menu bar. (For those who never see a real Mac keyboard, Command keys are right next to the space bar. Yes, they are Alt keys in IBM PC keyboards.) If you want it back, double-click /System/Library/CoreSerivces/Menu Extras/Eject.menu.

Hey I got a question & wanna give you props. I've got a Gateway MT6821, and just glancing at your specs pretty close to your laptop. So using your guide for the audio fix I got it working so thanks a bunch. Now my question, At the beginning of your post you mentioned you replaced your Intel wireless with a Dell TruMobile 1490 Mini PCI-e, then later on you said you used a DW3940, which did you use? I just wanna know so I can get one myself. So any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

My System: Gateway MT6821

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo T5200 / 1.6 GHz ( Dual-Core) 2 MB - L2 cache: Both Cores Working

2 GB Ram

4 in 1 card reader: Not Working

160 GB - SATA - 5400 rpm

DVD±RW (±R DL) - Integrated: Working

Graphics Controller: Intel GMA 950: Looks Good, but can't resize or change resolution

Sigmatel 9250 Sound card: Working, See Above

56k Fax/Modem: Don't Use it

EMy System: Gateway MT6821

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo T5200 / 1.6 GHz ( Dual-Core) 2 MB - L2 cache: Both Cores Working

2 GB Ram

160 GB - SATA - 5400 rpm

Graphics Controller: Intel GMA 950: Looks Good, but can't resize or change resolution

Ethernet: Intel 88E8038: Working Changed Device/Vendor in IONetworkingFamily.kext, plist

Wireless NIC: Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG: Not Working Looking for a Alternate Mini PCI-e Card

Keyboard: Works, No patch needed

Touchpad: Works, but scroll feature doesn't ;)

My_hackintosh.tiff

At the beginning of your post you mentioned you replaced your Intel wireless with a Dell TruMobile 1490 Mini PCI-e, then later on you said you used a DW3940, which did you use?
Thanks for pointing it out. There's no DW3940 and it was a typo. It's Dell TrueMobile 1490 (Model: DW1490). After reading your signature, I think you can fix your video too.

--S

Hey,

I got another question for you, I'm not having any luck with the Natit.kext to repair the graphics. Maybe you could give me another pointer. Oh yeah, I ordered the Dell TruWireless 1490 Mini PCI-e card, so cross you fingers. Anyway, thanks for your help and info. Have a good day.

My Sig: Gateway MT6821

160 GB - SATA - 5400 rpm

2 GB Ram

CardBus - Type I/II: Haven't Tried it

160 GB - SATA - 5400 rpm

Ethernet: Intel 88E8038: Working Changed Device/Vendor in IONetworkingFamily.kext, plist

Wireless NIC: Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG: Not Working Looking for a Alternate Mini PCI-e Card

Touchpad: Works, but scroll feature doesn't

My_hackintosh.tiff

I'm not having any luck with the Natit.kext to repair the graphics. Maybe you could give me another pointer.

The link is the one that I used for mine. The Natit.kext on the link is not the same as the one that comes with BrazilMac patch and it (ver 1.0.0d1) should be used with the original AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext (ver 1.5.18). And here's another link with lots of discussion along with a few different versions of Natit.kext by Paulicat: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=70282

--S

HEY,

I USED YOUR GUIDE FOR THE GRAPHICS & IT WORKED. I HOPE I'M NOT BOTHERING YOU, BUT I HAVE ANOTHER QUESTION. I PURCHASED A DELL TRUE WIRELESS 1490 MINI PCI-E CARD & MINE DIDN'T WORK OUT OF THE BOX. I CHECK THE IO80211FAMILY.KEXT AND WENT TO THE FOLLOWING TO EDIT THE PLIST FILE:

sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext/Contents/Info.plist

MY DEVICE & VENDOR INFO WAS THERE BUT I CAN'T SEEM TO GET IT TO WORK ANY POINTERS.

THANKS

My Sig: Gateway MT6821

2 GB Ram

160 GB - SATA - 5400 rpm

Touchpad: Works, but scroll feature doesn't

My_hackintosh.tiff

MY DEVICE & VENDOR INFO WAS THERE BUT I CAN'T SEEM TO GET IT TO WORK ANY POINTERS.

No problem. Glad that I can help. Assuming your motherboard recognizes the wireless card, did you try reassigning the interfaces? I know that sometimes you need to switch the interfaces. Read

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=23684

and try Final touches (Optional) section. Let me know how it goes. Good luck.

--S

P.S. I am sure that your (Vendor ID, Device ID) is (14E4, 4312) too.

Why not just use Kalyway or iATKOS distro? No need to patch, and they both set your HD bootable w/out having to go into the tereminal.

Hi scott_money,

Good point. Well, I guess that there are two reasons for me using BrazilMac. The first one is that I already have Mac OS X installed on my laptop successfully (and that's why I wrote the procedure here hoping that this may help someone) and the second reason is that if I install Mac OS X with Kalyway or iAtkos, then whenever there's a new release, I know I will want to download and install it, which takes time.

Anywho, Scott, do you have NX260X too? Did you use Kalyway or iAtkos to install on your system? If so, you better write about it even in brief manner. Thanks for your thought.

--S