Leopard on HP nx7400?

weedy

24 posts in this topic

Hi all!

Excuses if this is not the right place to post this. Feel free to move the thread as appropriate.

I've recently switched to mac (general PC unreliability being the cause) and I have a slightly damaged HP nx7400 laptop lying around.

I would like to try and install Leopard on that machine.

I admit, I have not bought an extra Leopard copy for the purpose, but I will do so if it actually does work.

My question is - what to start with, where to look and what to read?

Here are specs I have found out:

Mobo: HP Compaq nx7400

FSB: Intel AGTL+ / 64 bit width / 133MHz (QDR) real clock / 533 MHz effective clock / 4266MB/s theoretical bandwidth

Memory Bus: DDR2 SDRAM (400, 553, 667 MHz) / 64 bit width / DRAM:FSB ratio 8:4 / 267 MHz (DDR) real clock / 533MHz effective clock

North Bridge: Mobile Intel Calistoga-GM i945GM / Revision 03 / Stepping A3 / Package type 1466 Pin FC-BGA

BIOS: Unknown type :) / version 68YGU Ver. F.07 / dated 28.07.2006.

CPU: Mobile Celeron M 430 / 1733MHz (Yonah - 1M) / supports x86, MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3

Video: onboard Intel GMA 950

There's more of it, but I figure others are largely irrelevant, these are quite close to older macbooks - same ram type, same onboard graphics adapter, slightly slower 533 vs 667 FSB, Socket M CPU (I figure previous line of macbook processors up to 2.33 MHz can be installed), so I should be able to run osx on this machine.

Thanks

Hi,

I will share my experiance on nx7400. I have one nx7300 and 7400 with me , both are Intel coreduo 1.6 Ghz. I think except processor everything same in your case.

I have everything works except the audio. Audio is AD1981 lot of experiment are going on this chip in the forum, till now a suitable final soltion not come.

I have installed OSX.4.3 first and then upgraded it with Leopard 10.5. both downloaded through torrent sites.

Networkcard worked , wifi worked , GMA950, usb , firewife etc works and all applications like Ilife, iworks, front row, photobooth , mail , etc works with out any issue. Sound is showing about to work ...like volume controle appears , you can increase or decrease it etc and when we play music it plays etc , but mute switch will be always on. A solution to be find out.

Many friends in this forum are eagerly looking for a solution for this.

For sound in this stage , I have installed AzaliaAudio pakage.

If you directly install leopard , Network card will not work. so better install Tiger and upgarde .

Before installing go to setup of 7400 by pressing F10 key when the thick cursor blink befoe boot? disable sata mode, and put it it Bit shift mode if available that in your bios. In my case I have to disable dual core cpu to Single core also. After instalation and seting up you can enable sata mode. It will work with out any issue( In my case perfectly working)

I hope I have cleared some sort of your doubts.

Regards

Gopan

ShumiX,

I have downloaded the details form this link , which you might have known

http://code.google.com/p/iwidarwin/ . It identified the port as ethernet port only, which they have mentoned in their litrature in the link.I do not have access point / Router in my home.So did not checked in net. I am using a broadband Internet connected to the ethernet port.

Card in my notebook is Intel 3945a/b/g . I have not tried PCMCIA socket in this notebook , but worked in nx6120 . I installed PCMCIA kext also and was working in that model . This I have to check.

What about your audio in nx7400? have you got any new clue for disabling the mute function? I have opened the Notebook and had a try phisically whether it is possible ..hi hi

No luck , everything Integrated ie wifi, Power button , speaker mute, up/down volume all LED s etc in a single board with a 18 / 20 pin single connector.

Gopan

Hi Gopan and ShumiX and thanks for advice.

Just a few questions:

1.Gopan, 10.4.3 which you installed - didn't it have some of the special codenames flying around here like iAtkos and such? Or was it just vanilla?

2.Wasn't your audio one of the supported ones? I looked at HCL lists yesterday and I think it was something that was supported or a version close to it.

3.What about EFI / other stuff apart from osx 10.4.3. which should I have at hand prior to trying the install?

Will be trying this out as soon as I get the necessary files assembled. :unsure:

Hi,

You will get answer for your 1st and 3rd question from the link given below

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=76821

About sound , Analog Device AD1981 is in nx7400 , unfortunately this is not working for the time being. But after you install Azalia Audio package you can see everything related sound in the software get enabled. Input, Out put , Volume control etc. But always the mute button will be on and which will remain same through out.

Let us hope a solution will come soon from Taruga

Regards

Gopan

Ok, I tried the install and everything was going okay until the registration screen where I need to choose my location and keyboard input - the image was distorted so that I could not click on continue (it was under the bottom of display).

I tried to connect the thing to two external displays, but both had the same problem.

Any ideas what might be causing it? :blink:

• 1 month later...
I have everything works except the audio. Audio is AD1981 lot of experiment are going on this chip in the forum, till now a suitable final soltion not come.

Sound is showing about to work ...like volume controle appears , you can increase or decrease it etc and when we play music it plays etc , but mute switch will be always on. A solution to be find out.

Many friends in this forum are eagerly looking for a solution for this.

For sound in this stage , I have installed AzaliaAudio pakage.

same problem with nx7300 and audio (AD1981) ...working volume control with azaliaaudio package but speakers always muted....

please post all news..

Thanks

Giuseppe

• 2 months later...

Hy!

I installed the Kallaway Mac Os Leopard 10.5.1 on my HP Nx7300.

Single boot (for now).

Becouse I am new to MacOS I have a few questions for my leptop.

1. How can I make dual-boot? if i have Leopard installed first

2. I have only leo installed, and if i want to run it.. i must have the dvd in.. if i dont i get the b0 error

3. how to setup the buttons for brightnes control?

4. how to setup the power managment ?????

that will bi all for now.... i hope you can help!

tnx

• 3 months later...

Hi there,

could someone, who got Leopard working on his nx7400 maybe write

a short tutorial "how to install" or where to get drivers and so on .?

Which osx86 version would you think is the most fitting to the nx7400 ?

I tried to install iatkos 10.5.4. but don't get it working... stuck in the bios...

best wishes

dane

• 2 weeks later...

iatkos v4i now working perfectly!!!

Some mistakes during the installation, some mistakes after it worked, 2 reinstallations ... now BACKED UP and WORKING :(

BUT I LEARNED A LOT DURING THAT PROCESS, WHICH IS GREAT!!!

Bought an Wifi USB stick (D-Link DWL-g122) which is working now perfectly!

USB working, sound working, everything is good except the need to disable dual core....

I'd like to enable it---- is it DEFINETLY NOT WORKING?

1 processor is so slow in contrast to two :D

Best regards

Benny

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi all..

My specs:

HP Compaq nx7400

Intel C2D T7200 @2GHz

3GB 667MHz RAM

HDD WD 320GB SATA

Intel GMA950 & WSXGA+ screen

Intel 3945ABG WiFi

Broadcom 440x Ethernet

ADI1981 audio

Wireless USB Linksys WUSB54GC (Ralink)

Installed iDeneb v1.3 10.5.5. Everything went fine...

Hardware issues:

1. cpus=1:
    Always booting with cpus=1 flag.
    Tried Chameleon with DSDT override and DSDT patcher 1.0.1d, kernels vanilla and voodoo_beta2c 9.5.0.
    Very unstable with 2 cores... hangs randomly.
    Performance difference (XBench) on computation Thread Test: 3.28Mops/s (2 cores) vs 1.83Mops/s (1 core). The rest tests have practically the same results (overall score 166 vs 150).
    Sleep seems working ok
    See: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=962566
  2. Broadcom 440x ethernet:
    Unstable, every hour or so I've got to reboot the system to use the ethernet interface. Hangs usually when downloading streaming content or torrents and when it hangs, the audio also stops playback for a moment.. Tried ifconfig down & up, reloading kexts. Now using USB wifi adapter.
  3. Intel 3945ABG:
    not working. Tried iwidarwin project (not ready yet).
  4. Audio:
    Headphones/mic not working. Laptop speakers ok with adi1981 driver.
  5. Shutdown:
    Hard drive seems to go off, then on, and then off again (at least that's what I hear). :) why? does it have to do with shutdown_fix??? solution, anyone?
  6. Touchpad:
    No scrolling. Fixed.. Installed ACPIPS2Nub.kext and modified ApplePS2Controller.kext.

If you know a solution for both cores to work, please post it...

Thanx to everyone contributing to the OSx86 project!

• 4 months later...
iatkos v4i now working perfectly!!!

Some mistakes during the installation, some mistakes after it worked, 2 reinstallations ... now BACKED UP and WORKING -_-

BUT I LEARNED A LOT DURING THAT PROCESS, WHICH IS GREAT!!!

Bought an Wifi USB stick (D-Link DWL-g122) which is working now perfectly!

USB working, sound working, everything is good except the need to disable dual core....

I'd like to enable it---- is it DEFINETLY NOT WORKING?

1 processor is so slow in contrast to two :D

Best regards

Benny

Hi Benny,

I do not speak English, use the google translator.

can describe the steps? I am very interested in installing it, but it does not boot.

greetings and thanks

• 9 months later...

Hello,

I'm trying to install the Iatkos 7 distro on my HP Compaq NX7400 and I couldn't really find some of the options described here so I'm trying these options for starters:

-USB

-Laptop Battery

-VGA / Intel / GMA 950 / GMA 950 Laptop

-Network / Wireless / Broadcom BCM43xx

-Network / Wired / Intel Gigabit

For sound I'm using the first option which was already checked by default when I began to customize the options. I don't think the network card and the wi-fi will work though because from what I read on the tech specs of the laptop.

Anyway, yesterday I tried installing it with this config but the setup progress bar froze almost close to the end of the installation, left the laptop on all night but nothing happened. Going to try it again now. If anyone can correct any of those configs I'd appreciate the help.

Thnx!

Geez, this time I did the dvd consistency check and afterwards I got a kernel crash when it was going to begin the install. I'm starting to wonder if the image I downloaded was in good shape to begin with.

Hello,

I'm trying to install the Iatkos 7 distro on my HP Compaq NX7400 a

I have a nx7300 which is basic the same maschine ASFAIK.

For starters - our sucky hp laptops have problems with both cores working under Leopard (i assume you have a dual core processor).

After booting the laptop press F8 and input -v cpus=1.

-v is to see what is going on und the hood

cpus=1 - to make only one core working

For my setup i have been using:

Wireless - bcm43xx

LAN - first option from broadcom - i think i was bcm 44xx or smth similiar

leave the sound alone - it works out of the box now (earlier there were problems without speakers working while using headphones etc)

I also choose intel AHCI (look for it)

Voodoo PS2 (without touchpad support - with touchpad support i had freezes)

under VGA - gma 950 laptop

I also install ntfs-3g and ext2 support

Try this configuration.

About dual core issue - search the forums - some ppl pull the plug on it and let the laptop boot on battery and then plug ac back in - i usually just start it with cpus=1.

I was playin with dsdt (corrected some error under iasl) but i still get freezes with dual core.

If your lapto is going to get too hot - check the forum for a thread about fan issues.

Good luck

Hi Juice,

Thank you very much for your response. The hardware is quite similar to the nx7300 except for the wireless card which is an Intel Pro 3945ab6 so I think I'll have to try and get it working with iwidarwin since I didn't see that card on the iAktos options. The ethernet card is the same as yours but somehow it ain't working, it recognized the card on the control panel but it doesn't connect to the router, I'm going to try to configure it manually. I also couldn't boot the system normally, I had to use the single core option to get it to work and verbose mode, although i think verbose doesn't make a difference. Haven't tried it yet. I also forgot to add the trackpad option but i connected an external keyboard and mouse and it worked fine. Gonna give it another go to see if I get it all working decently.

Okay... I got everything working except the wifi card which has people crying about since 2007 from what I could read (only workaround seems to be buying a usb wifi adapter like Dane33 did. And the cores which i tried solving by installing the voodoo kernel from a dmg package i found at their site and disabling AppleIntelCPUPowerManagment.kext. Both solutions didn't offer any results. Is there any workaround for this? I can live without the wi-fi but using just 1 core is a pain in the ass : (

Hi Juice,

Thank you very much for your response. The hardware is quite similar to the nx7300 except for the wireless card which is an Intel Pro 3945ab6 so I think I'll have to try and get it working with iwidarwin since I didn't see that card on the iAktos options. The ethernet card is the same as yours but somehow it ain't working, it recognized the card on the control panel but it doesn't connect to the router, I'm going to try to configure it manually. I also couldn't boot the system normally, I had to use the single core option to get it to work and verbose mode, although i think verbose doesn't make a difference. Haven't tried it yet. I also forgot to add the trackpad option but i connected an external keyboard and mouse and it worked fine. Gonna give it another go to see if I get it all working decently.

• 2 months later...
Hi all!

Excuses if this is not the right place to post this. Feel free to move the thread as appropriate.

I've recently switched to mac (general PC unreliability being the cause) and I have a slightly damaged HP nx7400 laptop lying around.

I would like to try and install Leopard on that machine.

I admit, I have not bought an extra Leopard copy for the purpose, but I will do so if it actually does work.

My question is - what to start with, where to look and what to read?

Here are specs I have found out:

Mobo: HP Compaq nx7400

FSB: Intel AGTL+ / 64 bit width / 133MHz (QDR) real clock / 533 MHz effective clock / 4266MB/s theoretical bandwidth

Memory Bus: DDR2 SDRAM (400, 553, 667 MHz) / 64 bit width / DRAM:FSB ratio 8:4 / 267 MHz (DDR) real clock / 533MHz effective clock

North Bridge: Mobile Intel Calistoga-GM i945GM / Revision 03 / Stepping A3 / Package type 1466 Pin FC-BGA

BIOS: Unknown type :( / version 68YGU Ver. F.07 / dated 28.07.2006.

CPU: Mobile Celeron M 430 / 1733MHz (Yonah - 1M) / supports x86, MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3

Video: onboard Intel GMA 950

There's more of it, but I figure others are largely irrelevant, these are quite close to older macbooks - same ram type, same onboard graphics adapter, slightly slower 533 vs 667 FSB, Socket M CPU (I figure previous line of macbook processors up to 2.33 MHz can be installed), so I should be able to run osx on this machine.

Thanks

The bios is Phoenix

I have installed Snow from Hazard, but after boot, after load everithing, i hear the sound but i have blank white screen.

And on this machine it wants to load only with "cpus=1"