Installer can't recognize HDD

Gaurav

21 posts in this topic

Hi all!

I got JaS 10.4.8 release and when I booted with it the Disk Utility thing does not recognize my HDD... btw I have a SATA 160GB 5200rpm HDD on my compaq pessario v3425AU notebook. Is it related to the HDD being SATA?? also i think many users have installed the JaS release on their SATA HDDs, so if SATA is the issue can they guide me how they got past this barrier during install??

Regards,

Gaurav

You've already gotten into disk utility? You need to erase your drive or volume before it will show up in the installer. Hopefully that'll help, if not, then you're stuck right where I'm at... haha. I can't erase my hard drive, I get an "Insufficient Privileges" error.

Hi all!

I got JaS 10.4.8 release and when I booted with it the Disk Utility thing does not recognize my HDD... btw I have a SATA 160GB 5200rpm HDD on my compaq pessario v3425AU notebook. Is it related to the HDD being SATA?? also i think many users have installed the JaS release on their SATA HDDs, so if SATA is the issue can they guide me how they got past this barrier during install??

Regards,

Gaurav

If the HDD is set as RAID in the BIOS then the installer/Disk Utility might not see it. You may have to set the BIOS so that "SATA as RAID" is changed to "SATA as AHCI" or "SATA as IDE".

If the above does not apply to your setup then I'm afraid I can't help.

I have the same problem. But I have phoenixBIOS and it's nothing there that I could configure to be raid, ahci or anything else (on my laptop). On desktop comp. I have that option but cpu is to weak.

Any help for my laptop bios?

I have the PheonixBios aswell and i dont seem to be having this option in there ..

Then I think you're pretty much stuffed. There are some utilities that will let you hack your Phoenix BIOS to allow AHCI, but it's a risky endeavour.

Below is a link that shows the necessary steps to tweak the BIOS of a Sony Vaio notebook which has a Phoenix BIOS. It's not, however, for the faint-hearted.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=189228

CAUTION: If you don't know what you're doing, this could render your notebook FUBAR.

My advice would be to buy yourself a cheap external USB HDD and install OSX86 onto that. And if that fails, you can always use it for a backup drive for your notebook or for large media files or whatever. Note that while the USB external should work, it will be sluggish compared to a SATA or PATA internal HDD.

HTH.

i've got IDE 250gb hardrive

When i start installing Mac Os X jas 10.4.8 Version on my system

on setup it shows 120gb i dont know why its its showing so low disc space

plz help me out to resolve this problem

& when i install windows xp or windows vista it's shows 250gb

i've got IDE 250gb hardrive

When i start installing Mac Os X jas 10.4.8 Version on my system

on setup it shows 120gb i dont know why its its showing so low disc space

plz help me out to resolve this problem

& when i install windows xp or windows vista it's shows 250gb

Does Disk Utility show an icon for your HDD under its manufacturer code, with the volume as a second icon with the name you've given it?

If so, is 120GB the size of both the HDD and the formatted volume, or are the two things showing different sizes? (Use ctrl-click on each and choose info in case you're not sue how to do that).

If there's only the HDD showing up, you'll probably need to FDisk the HDD and re-set it to the correct size before re-creating the partition. Can't remember how that's done off the top of my head, but it was one of the FDisk options. Recently I've been using Paragon PartitionMagic to do my partitioning stuff and it's a visual tool. Much better than command line options, I've discovered.

Everybody is saying search the forum... There is around 750 topics here-it's crazy to view all that...

well I'm not going to hack my bios... i still have warranty.

It may be that there's an updated BIOS for that notebook, or a similar version that shares the same BIOS chip that will 'unlock' the features you need. Google your computer's model # and the phrase 'BIOS update'. I'd be surprised if there isn't some existing work-around for you, but if not, my earlier post is all I'm able to suggest, sorry.

@Amin Gillani

Hackintoshes have the issue where the max size that they will show ANY volume is 120GB. Your space is still 'there' though. I had the same issue, it was showing that I had more free that the actual size.

@ceeeko Deal with it, it was your choice to make a hackintosh, and it won't be effort free, use the Search function, or even google.

sorry, but I wasn't able to include kext yesterday.. moreover i found that my 6150 does not support QE/CI.. :P anywayz will give it a try..

Will get back in few hrs..

EDIT: ratz this VMWare thing is too slow for me.. I can't get past disk utility even.. I guess if someone else with the same chipset could try doing it

For those who don't know how to inject kext into DVD see this thread:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=67713

I have the same Problem--- cause I have that {censored} Phoenix bios... has anyone an Idea how I could fix it now?

i read that link about the one who hacked his bios, i would do this, but I'm not sure if I understand it correctly and also I don't know if it would work for MY notebook because it's not a VAIO...

Could someone pleeease help me?

Or can it be, that a newer OSX version for homebrew macs doesn't have that problem? If so? what version (exact name of image or some) would that be? I DON'T have 64bit processor. only 32bit.

Greets and thanks for your help

Hermann