New build: Advice needed

4 posts in this topic

So I'm considering building a new system that will be my "hardcore" gaming machine. However, I also want to duel boot a hackintosh probably doing it on 2 separate drives. With so many different types of hardware, I was hoping to get some input on my current system build and fine tune any problems i may run into. Heres my current spec:

ASUS P5N-T Deluxe LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard

2x EVGA 640-P2-N828-A3 GeForce 8800GTS KO 640MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP in SLI

Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6700 Kentsfield 2.66GHz LGA 775 130W Quad-Core

GeIL 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel

2x Western Digital Raptor X WD1500AHFD 150GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM

I plan on using the windows side for gaming and running any native windows apps, while using mac side to run final cut and other video/audio editing software. Also, I plan on running two Raptors in Raid 0. If this will cause too many compatibly issues, I can just install the mac OS on a single HD.

Anyways, I'm trying to make this as smooth as possible. Please let me know if they're are any glaring problems with my current build and I will adjust them. Thank you.

peanut

if you plan to build a solo-gaming machine, quad-core CPU is useless... i'd consider faster dual-core, e.g. E6850

Also, being on your place, i would wait a bit and buy a new 45nm processor from E8x00 series (8400 or 8500), but you'll need a newer board to use them.

For OSX compatibility, intel boards are best for now, but on the other hand i don't find them SLI sufficient.

And tell me please, what do you need SLI combo for? 100% it wont work with OSX.

I'd consider one 8800GTS (G92)

• 3 months later...

thanks for the info. i have the same mb on my newegg wishlist. fyi, that mb is 45nm ready, i plan on usin' it with an intel e8400 for music production.

the other mb on my wishlist is the asus p5w dh deluxe (intel 975x chipset) but it's not 45nm compatible and the p5n-t deluxe owns the p5w dh deluxe in regards to specs.

question, is there no way to get os x to work on the mb with nvidia chipset 'cause i'm music production FIRST and i don't plan on gettin' a different mb just to build a hackintosh?

this could change tho' if asus releases a 975x chipset mb that owns the p5n-t deluxe (i'm always browsin' newegg/asus.com and changin' mb's if i see something better. plus the intel 975x chipset is supported by digidesign protools while i believe that the nvidia chipset is not... but i've used protools on my friend's e-machine amd 64 non-dualcore pc and i know that that pc was not listed on their website as bein' protools "ceritified"...). also, i'm a ps2/ps3 gamer, not a pc gamer, so dual sli nivdia cards are not needed. i only play the sims, cs 1.6 and wow so the only reason that i choose a dual sli nvidia mb was for "future" interests. but i seriously doubt that i will ever buy/use two nvidia graphic cards...