Should I switch out my x800 for a 7800gt?

5 posts in this topic

Firstly, rough rig outline:

e4300, p965 ds3, 2gb ram, 1212m soundcard.

I have both GFX cards right here, but the only snag is that I have some crazy watercooled rig.

It would take me at least a day to upgrade from an x800 to a 7800gt, as I have have to bleed the system, install more piping, etc.

My question is, will an x800 work as well as a 7800gt? I'm planning on running dual monitors... Will the x800 work with dual monitors with all the patches applied?

If not, I'll start building a socket A rig so I have something to use while I'm sorting out my watercooling.

Also, if my 1212m soundcard doesn't work, I can still use onboard sound right?

I use the EVGA 7800GT CO, which has a HR-03 cooler on it and an 80mm (I believe) fan zip tied to it, and it works like a champ. Dual Screen, played WoW and Hitman Contracts on it flawlessly. No experience with the x800 however I am suggesting the 7800gt as it has served me so well. Keep in mind I went from an 8500GT which had no compatibility as everyone knows, to a 7300LE which I couldnt get dual display to work on to a 7800GT which works amazing. Hope that helps with your decision.

For all those wondering the 8500Gt was initially purchased before I had entered the OSX scene, unfortunately. I would've got a 8800GT instead of the 7800GT however I only paid $100CAD for the 7800 with the cooler.

Well the x800 is in the watercooling setup, but I have to change waterblocks for the 7800gt you see. I've also got a bigger rad which I'm going to install when the system is drained. The stock fan is so noisy it would drive me mad as i produce music on the computer...

Anyway, I've got all the parts, and I've now built a spare backup rig which works, so once I have my 7800gt in there, time to give OSX a go. :unsure: