Solutions for "Waiting for root device"?

tange1

8 posts in this topic

1. Hardware Specs:

HP Pavialion ZE2000wm (The black friday walmart laptop). From what I can tell from CPUz about the mainboard:

Manufacturer Quanta

Model: 3096

Sempron 2800+ socket 754 supporting SSE2 and 3

512 RAM (64 shared w/ video)

Video: nV, ATI, etc.

ATI radeon RS482 (express 200M)

Data storage: sata, pata, ata, usb, etc.

Only using the onboard stuff.

2. Detailed Error Messages

"Waiting for root device" -- occurs early during install. Booting from DVD. 10.4.3 8f1111a (patched w/ JaS 4.2b)

Tried these at boot:

platform=X86PC -v

-x -v

rd=disk0s* -v (replace the * with your OS X partition number)

-f -v

Problem: Cant see or change via bios if the DVDROM is master or not. Perhaps its emulated?

Solutions?

Boot /install off of a external drive: Note it booted for me off an external drive but the onboard keyboard/mouse do not work. Using USB mouse now which does seem to work, no word yet on keyboard.

Problem2: No volume is found that I can install on. What I did was resized a NTFS partition to free up 10 gigs of unallocated space. Used disk part to create a primary partition of type AF. Set it to active. The partition resides at the end of the volume (I think). Loading up the disk utility program off the DVD I find that it does seem my partition but it is 'not mounted'. Mounting it failed.

Solution seems to be: erasing/reformating via the disk utility. Very slow but it worked.

Currently:

Installing base system part 1: VERY VERY SLOWLY! Has anyone installed from a USB DVD ROM? Currently 1% done w/ estimated time of 12+ hours!

Concerns that still exist:

What will it do about my onboard mouse/keyboard?

What about my on board DVD ROM? I wasn't able to boot off it, will the OS see it later?

I appologize for how off topic this might have become. One problem / solution leads to something new. Maybe after all these edits ill have yet another install/troubleshooting guide.

Thanks everyone for any help you can give!

I have the same problem with my Toshiba laptop with the RS480 chipset.

I pulled my IDE drive of my desktop and put it in a USB enclosure. I then booted my laptop off the USB external drive and it worked.

Once booted , I have 3 problems:

1) The clock is always set to 1969 -> Problem with RTC driver I assume.

2) No Accelerated video -> Can live with that for now

3) No CD-ROM or internal IDE drives seen by the OS -> I think this is a ATA driver issues. I tried to force it to use that AppleIntelPIIATA driver by changing the Device and Vendor ID of the driver but I then get a "IDE channel disabled" for channel 1 and 2 in the dmesg log file.

So are you saying that if I set up an unallocated space on my internal drive, the boot off the external USB, I will be able to format a new HFS partition with Disk Utility on my internal Laptop drive?

If so I could install with VMWARE to a physical volume option.

Can you post your ioreg output (or lspci from linux)?

With ioreg, you do "ioreg -l >target_filename.txt" minus the quotes.

Regards.

I have the same problem with my Toshiba laptop with the RS480 chipset.

I pulled my IDE drive of my desktop and put it in a USB enclosure. I then booted my laptop off the USB external drive and it worked.

Once booted , I have 3 problems:

1) The clock is always set to 1969 -> Problem with RTC driver I assume.

2) No Accelerated video -> Can live with that for now

3) No CD-ROM or internal IDE drives seen by the OS -> I think this is a ATA driver issues. I tried to force it to use that AppleIntelPIIATA driver by changing the Device and Vendor ID of the driver but I then get a "IDE channel disabled" for channel 1 and 2 in the dmesg log file.

So are you saying that if I set up an unallocated space on my internal drive, the boot off the external USB, I will be able to format a new HFS partition with Disk Utility on my internal Laptop drive?

If so I could install with VMWARE to a physical volume option.

Can you post your ioreg output (or lspci from linux)?

With ioreg, you do "ioreg -l >target_filename.txt" minus the quotes.

Regards.

What I did was kept windows on the drive but created a unallocated space on the drive (10 gigs in size). Then used diskpart in windows to assign it aas a primary partitioin of type AF. Then I was forced to use a DVDrom in a usb enclosure to boot off of. Once booted off the DVD installer I was able to use the disk utility gui from the installer to format the drive. It is now seen and installing on it though it's estimated time is 11+ hours and it's been going for a few hours. The CD barely spins so I dont know whats wrong w/ that.

I dont have a working install yet and I'm not sure what you mean by ioreg but I'll try it once installed (assuming it ever finish's or works).

Thanks!

ioreg gives you a full scan of your devices and all the drivers attached to them.

I tried to do the same as you - booting off a external DVD drive, but my laptop refuses to see it as a boot device. It only seems to see external hard drives.

If it's taking such a long time, it must be using USB 1.1 instead of USB2.0.

Let me know when you finish. I'm anxious to see if your drive will be seen by the installed OSX.

Sure I'll post here. By the looks of it it will be a LONG time till it finish's. I honeslty dont expect it to see my internal drive but it could happen.

USB 1.1-- my htoughts too. It obviously doesn't know that the ports are 2.0 capable.

PS: Install has been going all night, it is advancing but the estimated time remaining continues to go up. Currently 24+ hours remaining.

Oh and im Tange1 on AIM if you feel like talking Tech.

Yea but the ZE2308WM (the notebook I did this on) from walmart doesn't seem to support osx at all.

Can you post your specs?I managed to get my Toshiba running natively. Here are my specs

http://www.toshiba.ca/web/product.grp?lg=e...t=4007#spectopI just

Well the specs don't mention the south bridge but it is ATI SB400. I found out from a PCI device scan utility.