Freezes when erasing and formatting the partition

CustomerBC

17 posts in this topic

I'm using the AMD version of the Mac OS X Leopard install (Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.1 for AMD SSE2/SSE3 (32bits))

I first boot with "-x"

Then after all those messages load up, I open up Terminal and type in "ps auxww | grep fsck"

I then go to Disk Utility and choose the recognized NTFS partition I made for the OS X Installation.

I click the "Erase" tab and I format it as a Mac OS X Extended (Journaled)

It says Unmounting drive and it freezes 1 minute later.

So whats the problem?

And I made a NTFS because it would recognize my FAT32 partitions. I use a SATA HD.

The installer is made by zephyroth

Below are some screenshots of the freezing part.

img1016qw1.th.jpg

img1018vq1.th.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I am having the same problem too. I'm also looking at the forum NForce SATA Controller to figure out what is going on with my SATA controller. I am thinking of installing to an external USB HD so I can then boot up and use the knowledge learned to try it out. I am unsure of how to do this however... I have a little more searching to do. If anyone knows where I can look, please point me in the right direction. Also, I would try to do this editing on my macbook but I am afraid I'd screw something up because I am so new to this. Any help would be graciously accepted.

Buying an extra IDE drive and plugging it in really is the most easy solution, besides you can have a whole harddisk for OSX. I really like the idea of having OSX on a separate drive.

but....

the performance benchmarks for ATA vs SATA indicate double the performance with SATA.

We need a solution. I just went out and bought a 500gb sata samsung -16M cache.

I tried using mac drive within windows to format the sata drive....

but then I ran into a brick wall with the install not seeing the corresponding logical drive I'd just create (no sata kernal extension).

then I tried using Acronis Boot CD workstation to clone a successful leopard install from IDE to SATA drive....

encouraging results....but then I get IOATAController is blocking bus.

Then.... I used macdrive / windows to copy across the SATA /nvidia kext file

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=35985

but still no joy - I just need to get the correct device id added to the plist file.

will try that and see how I go.

I have the SAME EXACT PROBLEM only I freeze at "preparing to erase" and dont go into termonal and i dont format my partition..like...to anything I tried Fat 32 but no luck it wouldnt see it. :)

and i even get the same problem with NTFS.

I even put in a blank sata drive and still no luck.

Im glad I mad the Acronis rescue sd or i'd be in the :censored2: ter

but....

the performance benchmarks for ATA vs SATA indicate double the performance with SATA.

We need a solution. I just went out and bought a 500gb sata samsung -16M cache.

I tried using mac drive within windows to format the sata drive....

but then I ran into a brick wall with the install not seeing the corresponding logical drive I'd just create (no sata kernal extension).

then I tried using Acronis Boot CD workstation to clone a successful leopard install from IDE to SATA drive....

encouraging results....but then I get IOATAController is blocking bus.

Then.... I used macdrive / windows to copy across the SATA /nvidia kext file

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=35985

but still no joy - I just need to get the correct device id added to the plist file.

will try that and see how I go.

So how did it go?

alright guys, I got it working.

Now it all depends on your SATA controller. Mine was the MCP61 (nForce430) controller and I got it working by buying the Ultra USB 2.0 to IDE/SATA Cable Adapter

Once I had the SATA drive connected externally via the USB cable, I was able to manipulate the drive to install.

After you do this, you'll have to make some kext changes to make sure the SATA controller will work later, otherwise you'll be stuck using the USB cable the whole time.

You can see how I did this here

If you have any specific questions to my methods, PM me or start looking through the forums. many others have gotten theirs to work via different methods and I know you'll probably have to tweak it a little just to make it fit your system.

alright guys, I got it working.

Now it all depends on your SATA controller. Mine was the MCP61 (nForce430) controller and I got it working by buying the Ultra USB 2.0 to IDE/SATA Cable Adapter

Once I had the SATA drive connected externally via the USB cable, I was able to manipulate the drive to install.

After you do this, you'll have to make some kext changes to make sure the SATA controller will work later, otherwise you'll be stuck using the USB cable the whole time.

You can see how I did this here

If you have any specific questions to my methods, PM me or start looking through the forums. many others have gotten theirs to work via different methods and I know you'll probably have to tweak it a little just to make it fit your system.

thanks ill try