Hardrive Read/Write Speed is Slow!

mtotho

5 posts in this topic

I have An asus p5b vm se. intel chipsets. I succesfully installed leopard without a problem... except it took over an hour. In leopard i ran xbench. My total score with hard disks was 45, without it was about 300. The disktest ran at about just under 3mb/s for read and write in the sequential disk tests.. and gave them a score of about 5 on each. Is there a fix to this at all?

Right now im using a 500gb samsun hardrive.

Would i be better off just using an ide hardrive with jmicron?

I have An asus p5b vm se. intel chipsets. I succesfully installed leopard without a problem... except it took over an hour. In leopard i ran xbench. My total score with hard disks was 45, without it was about 300. The disktest ran at about just under 3mb/s for read and write in the sequential disk tests.. and gave them a score of about 5 on each. Is there a fix to this at all?

I thought about buying this mainboard. Is the onboard X3000 working for you? have you also tried the P5B-VM (without the SE)

You may need to add your device id in Apple SATA IO kext. Sorry, I don't remember the exactly name of that kext. Also, did you turn ACHI on during installation?

Usually, it's the random read/write test that really brings things down. Xbench is not the best overall benchmark test software, but it is consistent. I have a Samsung Spinpoint drive that gives terrible times and even a WD 10K Raptor that gives a poor reading. However, I have a Maxtor Diamond drive that gives excellent readings. None of this seems to affect my video editing and rendering though.

I had the same problem during installation. For me it worked plugging the sata disk at sata1, the optical drive at sata2. then the installation worked four times faster. but the reason therefore i dont know. but if its all done, its just an academic discussion :)