osx86 10.4.3 8fffffa on 256MB physical memory

david007

15 posts in this topic

Hi, just wondering if anyone have tried running osx86 10.4.3 8f1111a on 256MB ram? does it lag severely? or it runs smoothly?

btw whats the optimal memory for running osx86?

Apple recommends 1GB for using rosetta (running PPC software) in OSX86. With 256MB OSX86 is booting (I tested 192MB successfully) but you will not have much memory left, this will slow down the PC.

• 3 weeks later...

ok i finally made my mind of upgrading the ram. now my vendor gave me 2 options.

1. exchange my dell 256MB(266Mhz) and get the hynix/kingston value ram 512MB 333MHz

2. get additional 256MB(333/266Mhz) hynix/kingston value ram

please suggest the me what should i get? also tell me which one is better? kingston or hynix?

btw i have P4 2.0Ghz dell latitude c640 laptop

ok i finally made my mind of upgrading the ram. now my vendor gave me 2 options.

1. exchange my dell 256MB(266Mhz) and get the hynix/kingston value ram 512MB 333MHz

2. get additional 256MB(333/266Mhz) hynix/kingston value ram

please suggest the me what should i get? also tell me which one is better? kingston or hynix?

btw i have P4 2.0Ghz dell latitude c640 laptop

Some Kingston RAM have lifetime warranty so it will live longer as your PC :hysterical:

who are you buying it through?

you also know that if the laptop only supports up to 266 RAM, that the 333 will work, but only run at 266, right? But I don't know the specs for your laptop. For generic ram thats guaranteed compatible I like crucial.com They have a good tool that specs your ram based on the model of the pc :hysterical:

I would do neither

http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp...eries&submit=Go

According to crucial, it looks like your laptop only supports 266 anyway. If you had the money, (and I assume an empty SODIMM slot) I would buy a 512, and upgrade to 768. That way, later you can always buy another 512 in the future and max out at 1GB! Plus, I doubt you are getting a great deal by trading one chip in... Crucial is very reliable, fast shipping, and the ram they sell is tested to work with your machine. :hysterical:

ok and what about the other option? replace 256MB(266Mhz) with single 512MN(333Mhz) or get additional 256MB?

If it's not too expensive I would add 512MB that you have min. 768MB. The takt (266 or 333) is maybe not so important because it will probably only run with 266Mhz on your notebook.

I would do neither

http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp...eries&submit=Go

According to crucial, it looks like your laptop only supports 266 anyway. If you had the money, (and I assume an empty SODIMM slot) I would buy a 512, and upgrade to 768. That way, later you can always buy another 512 in the future and max out at 1GB! Plus, I doubt you are getting a great deal by trading one chip in... Crucial is very reliable, fast shipping, and the ram they sell is tested to work with your machine. :hysterical:

they won't ship to india, and if they do they will add 200% custom i presume

ahhh. I didn't realize you were in India... Well, I suppose find a local distributor and compare the prices for a SODIMM 266 (or 333 if similar price) at 256, and 512... But more is always better :guitar: Plus I always consider future upgrading. If you get another 256, to upgrade in the future you'll end up replacing both of them :hysterical: