Fujitsu Siemens P7120 99,5% Tiger

ebeneezer

31 posts in this topic

Hi Community,

i am starting this thread to document my efforts to implement Tiger on the Fujitsu Siemens P7120 subnote. As the title shows there is still some work left, and I hope there are other P7120 users that could join in to reach 100%.

Why i did it: Being a Linux veteran i was searching for a stable and graphical nice OS on my subnote machine. I own an iMac G5 since 2006 and like the stability and usability of OS X 10.0+. I tried Vista on the P7120 and it was insanely slow - and there is no Aero :) since the P7120 was manufactured in 2005. I also tried Linux and it worked quite good even with sleep functions and 3D desktop. I will give it another try with the release of KDE 4. The sad thing is that there is no support for PCMCIA UMTS/HSDPA cards for my card under Linux - so i gave OS X a try. I decided not to go with Leopard because of the limited CPU/RAM ressources - i think Tiger runs faster on older machines.

I dl BlackCHs 10.4.11 DVD from TPB and selected the following options from the installer menu:

• Intel GMA900 (the fix gets installed later, which gives you full Quartz Extreme and CoreImage support)
  • Realtek 8139 generic support (the docs from Fujitsu are wrong: There is no RTL8101 but a RTL8139 built into the P7120 according to Linux lspci command)
  • Azalia Sound Support (there is an ALC260 inside the P7120 and this gives you stereo Line Out but the microphone does not work)
  • Intel SSE2-only kernel with the 3 suboptions - other kernels don't work (kernel panic), checked off other kernels
  • Front Row
  • Quicktime codecs
  • leaving other options as defaulted by the installer

After the installer finishes the base installation I had to install the 1 wire trick to prevent the blue screen problem. Installed the GMA900fixer from the system/installationpackages folder on the patch DVD. After rebooting Quartz Extreme and CoreImage are activated.

Activated mouse gestures clicking and disabled dragging under system preferences/keyboard/mouse features. Dragging still works nicely with the built-in touchpad.

I installed the LCD Brightness Control util as the keyboard controls do not work.

The system is usable at this point and i will describe the configuration of

• PCMCIA
  • WIFI with AirPort configuration tools
  • other goodies

in following posts.

I would be happy to hear comments and will add any usefull hints to this howto which is a simple concentration of information from insanelymac - everything you need can be find within this superb board!

Regards,

Ebeneezer Goode

Great info. I had the DVD anyway so I started the install on my P7120.

I selected what I can find. Selected the Optional SSE2 only kernel from Apr 2007 I think. Some power management options and Generic USB support.

I'll let you guys know how this works out on my end.

Installed pretty straight forward. I thought I didn't need to do the wire trick since I didn't have any issues with the setup disk...but once it reboots after installing, I got a locked screen. Installed the wire-trick and it was straight forward.

Bluetooth worked right off the bat, which is rather surprising. It's faster than my first generation Mac Mini right now. Crazy.

Few problems I've noticed that I'll tinker with to fix:

1. External USB doesn't work for me. I think I picked the wrong setup options maybe?

2. Closing the lid doesn't put the machine to sleep.

3. Once I force the machine into sleep (by going into the menus and selecting sleep)...when it wakes up, it loses mouse buttons. Mouse pointers work fine...but I can't click on anything.

4. DVD does not play. I get "A valid video device could not be found for playback (-70017). I'll look into this as well.

I'm currently running system update...to see if that'd go through okay.

Hopefully, I can fix some little issues and this will be an awesome Sub Macbook!

Hopefully, I'm not talking to myself.

External USB does work. But it's not PIP. So if I plug something in, I have to reboot.

Apple system update worked fine. All softwares updated okay. But I can't mount DMGs anymore. I tried clearing the system kext and cache etc... Oh well.

I can't get DVD player to work. Tried VLC as well...

Installed pretty straight forward. I thought I didn't need to do the wire trick since I didn't have any issues with the setup disk...but once it reboots after installing, I got a locked screen. Installed the wire-trick and it was straight forward.

Bluetooth worked right off the bat, which is rather surprising. It's faster than my first generation Mac Mini right now. Crazy.

Few problems I've noticed that I'll tinker with to fix:

1. External USB doesn't work for me. I think I picked the wrong setup options maybe?

2. Closing the lid doesn't put the machine to sleep.

3. Once I force the machine into sleep (by going into the menus and selecting sleep)...when it wakes up, it loses mouse buttons. Mouse pointers work fine...but I can't click on anything.

4. DVD does not play. I get "A valid video device could not be found for playback (-70017). I'll look into this as well.

I'm currently running system update...to see if that'd go through okay.

Hopefully, I can fix some little issues and this will be an awesome Sub Macbook!

Hi folks,

going for the next round I installed the beamsync trick and QuartzSimple from the installation DVD. My xbench results went from around 27 up to 57 - so I decided to disable beamsync also for subsequent reboots with

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver Compositor -dict deferredUpdates 0

The solution for WIFI is to buy a TP-LINK PCMCIA card TL-WN510G which is around 10 euros/dollars. You also need this kext IO80211family.kext.zip to enable it. It works as a native AirPort adapter (is uses an Atheros chip) and you can configure your wlans using the Mac OS wifi menu item - WPA / WEP / WPA2 supported. Just follow the instructions on how to install kexts and reset the kext cache somewhere in this board.To be able to do that you first have to make Mac OS recognize the PCMCIA bus controller with is manufactured by Ricoh. I used these two kexts ricoh_pcmcia.zip which I took from JaS 10.4.8 installation disk. Those that come with the 10.4.11 do not work. I installed this AppleACPIThermal.kext.zip and it seems that the systems temperature went down by around 5-10 degrees (measured using iStat Pro).

post-164275-1199617244_thumb.png

Jellycow my friend,

you should upgrade your BIOS to the latest version of the P7120. I did that before I started my installation. Maybe this fixes your USB problem as I can plug and unplug USB devices hot. I tried it with an USB telephone and I was able to skype (audio). I did not change the default installer optiones besides those mentioned - maybe you should check that too. Use MPlayer OSX 1.0 rc1 - it will play your DVDs - I am working on a fix to get Apples DVD player running.

I do not have any problems mounting DMGs - maybe this can be of any help: Fix DMG mounting

Sleeping aka ACPI S3 does not work - that is true. I am also desperately seeking a solution. Someone got the internal mic running?

Regards,

EG

Hi folks,

Jellycow my friend,

you should upgrade your BIOS to the latest version of the P7120. I did that before I started my installation. Maybe this fixes your USB problem as I can plug and unplug USB devices hot. I tried it with an USB telephone and I was able to skype (audio). I did not change the default installer optiones besides those mentioned - maybe you should check that too. Use MPlayer OSX 1.0 rc1 - it will play your DVDs - I am working on a fix to get Apples DVD player running.

Sleeping aka ACPI S3 does not work - that is true. I am also desperately seeking a solution. Someone got the internal mic running?

Regards,

EG

Dang. Awesome work man.

I actually did figure out my problem for most things. I was trying different kinds of kernels and stuff and got confused. When I install the 8.9.1 universal kernel with no-EFI kexts, everything is fine with my USB. No DMG issues or anything. Reboot, then install System/Installation/Packages/GMA900.fixer.pkg. Reboot again. This fixes whatever video issues and I can get Apple's DVD Player working on top of it....although...it skips like hell because it seems like it can't keep up. Maybe disabling Beamsync will help.

Funny thing is, I do exactly what I do above, but with power managment (in others section) installed...DVD Player plays audio but no video. Strange. I tried re-installing about 15 times already with different configs and such.

Stand-by kinda...works. The machine does come out of stand-by. My mouse pointer works but not the buttons. I press alt-window-esc (command-option-esc) for force quit (then wait...and wait...) and restart Finder...and I get the mouse back as well. If I had any USB devices (like external mouse) plugged in, I have to unplug and replug after...kinda lame. Oh well.

--

I'll try to wifi trick...it'd be nice if 7120 had miniPCI so we can simply swap out the card, but I'm not sure. I have the disassemly instructions somewhere so I'll go check to see if it even uses a miniPCI...I doubt it...

Hi Jellycow,

the issue with Apples DVD player relies in the massive use of SSE3 Instructions. I doubt that there will be a solution to Apples Player on a SSE2 CPU.

Anyway working without sleeping and resuming on a Macbook is much more annoying than using MPlayer for DVD playing.

Greetings,

EG

Man...Cool beans. I think I got most of what I need setup and it's great. VLC plays the DVDs fine (SimpleQuartz helps a lot - Turn off BeamSync!). Parallel Desktop doesn't work...but VMWare Fusion works fine. So I have an XP virtual machine running as well (I can't live without my Microsoft Money and RoboGeo). So pretty much a perfect all around machine. Audio is rather lacking...but oh well.

I have a replacement keyboard from one of the vendors for my P7120. I asked them if they have a replacement wireless card for my 7120. I have the disassembly instructions I got from the LeoG forums, but it's not clear enough from the pictures to see if it's MiniPCI. So if it is MiniPCI, I'd love to replace the wireless to Atheros (like P7120-D models) and get the AirPort Express working as well while I'm replacing the keyboard. I'll let you know how that goes.

• 2 weeks later...

Akula my friend,

this does not apply to the ricoh patch I provided. You have to upgrade your P7120 BIOS and DISABLE Speedstep in the BIOS Settings. This will make your P7120 boot also on battery.

Regards,

Ebeneezer Goode

I installed the ricoh package you posted to get my PCCard noticed by the OS.

Although, since I have done that, it seems that I need to have the AC power plugged in, otherwise it hangs at boot.

Did you have the same problem?

Ah - thanks for the info.

Update:

The surgery is complete. Intel WLAN MiniPCI card was removed this weekend and replaced with a Atheros 5121a.

Works like a champ once the 10.4.5 802.11 package is installed.

Please note that opening the case to switch out the cards is NOT a trivial task - you need to nearly take the entire computer apart.

Two points to note:

1. The keyboard is held in place with two sided tape. I was beginning to think I forgot to remove a screw somewhere.
  2. The MiniPCI card is on the bottom of the assembly, near the two USB ports on the front left side.

I have a couple working extra 5212a cards (don't ask - eBay madness). If you'd like to get one, let me know.

Nice work Akula,

I think Id better stick with the PCMCIA solution - I do fear to end with a completely disassembled P7120 ...

Anyone with a solution to the sleep-but-no-wake-up problem on our machine? I don't get any further on this.

Also no solution to the dead build-in microphone.

Regards,

EG

Hello everyone,

this is my installation OSx86 10.4.11 on my p7120 MacLifebook! I hope that it is helpful and thanks to all who have posted.

---------

WORKING

DVD, Ethernet, USB, Bluetooth, VGA out, Sound (speakers), PCMCIA card slot, Port Replicator

Intel PRO/Wireless 2915ABG wi-fi works with iwiDarwin, but not reliable.

NOT WORKING

Headphone/line-in jack & Microphone/line-out jack (but USB Audio works fine)

Shared slot for Memory Stick, Secure Digital and xD memory cards

NOT TESTED

Embedded TPM and Fingerprint Sensor

modem not detected

S-Video out

4-pin IEEE 1394

---------

INSTALLATION

Required:

XxX_OS_x86_10.4.11_Install_Disc_Intel.iso

Used the BlackCH's installer DVD, choosing the only the following options:

Apple Combo 10.4.11 Update

MacOSXUpdCombo10.4.11Intel.pkg

Kernel and Kexts

no-EFI Kexts

IOATAFamily.kext.Paulicat

AppleACPIPlatform.kext

AppleAPIC.kext

AppleSMBIOS.kext.Netkas

8.9.1.Kernel Universal + patches

8.9.1.kernel.Universal.may02

8.9.1.System.kext

10.4.5.LoginWindow.app

Recommended Patches

ApplePS2Controller.kext

DictionaryFix

VerboseMode

CPUPowerManagement.kext_Remover

SystemProfiler.patch

ATA_USB Controllers (NONE - did not install any)

Graphic Drivers

Intel.Integrated.Graphics

IntelGMA900

IntelGMA900_fixer (DiaboliK.GMA900.Fixer.pkg)

Audio Drivers

Azalia_Audio

Network Drivers

PCGeneric.Realtek8139.Ethernet

Miscellaneous

PowerManagement.bundle

CharacterPalette.component

Quicktime.Codecs

---------

Installation Notes:

If the installer DVD halts at startup 'USB caused wake event (EHCI)',

just retry until the installer executes.

After installation, no partition would boot. Reboot from installation DVD and go to terminal:

$ diskutil list

(identify your startup partion: mine was disk0 slice 1)

$ fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0

> flag 1 (the slice number)

> write

answer 'yes'

> quit

$ reboot

To boot 10.4.11 with the 8.9.1 SSE2 kernel on the p7120, remember to add the kernel flag:

-legacy (either on boot or in the /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist)

You may have to reinstall (upgrade) the 8.9.1 kernel Universal (8.9.1.kernel.Universal.may02) + patches (System.kext and LoginWindow.app) after the initial installation.

---------

VIDEO RESOLUTION FIX to enable Core Image and Quartz Extreme

Required:

Edit the Info.plist in the following (/System/Library/Extensions):

AppleIntel915.kext

IOPCIMatch change 0x00008086&0x0000ffff to 0x25928086&0x0000ffff

AppleIntel915GA.plugin

change 80862582-0000-0000-0000-ffffffffffff to 80862592-0000-0000-0000-ffffffffffff (2 instances)

AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext

Use DiskUtility to repair permissions OR (better) in terminal:

cd /System/Library/Extensions

chown -R root:wheel [KEXT_NAME].kext

chmod -R 755 [KEXT_NAME].kext

for each kext.

Use the Paper Clip Trick from http://diabolik1605.com/DHF/index.html --> Intel GMA Support. Can

also install on the Port Replicator.

Video is now fine at 1280x768@32. Core Image and Quartz Extreme are enabled.

To fix the 100& screen brightness, I installed DarkAdaptedX.

---------

PCMICA card

Also used the ricoh_pcmcia.zip kexts found in Ebeneezer' posts.

---------

AIRPORT

Working perfectly.

TP-Link WN610G PCMICA Wireles G card

Modified the

/System/Library/Extensions/IO80211.kext/Contens/Plugins/AirPortAtheros5424.kext/Contents/Info.plist

Added 'pci168c,13' under IONameMatch using the Property List Editor found in the Developer Tools.

In /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist, be sure that the card properties are listed as:

BSD Name is 'en1'

IOInterfaceUnit is '1'

---------

MISCELLANEOUS

No Chinese or Japanese input methods were included on this installer disk.

I copied the following from a previous installation to /System/Library/Components:

SCIM.component (for simplified Chinese input)

TCIM.component (for traditional Chinese input)

50onPalette.component and HangulIM.component (for Japanese input)

Akula my friend,this does not apply to the ricoh patch I provided. You have to upgrade your P7120 BIOS and DISABLE Speedstep in the BIOS Settings. This will make your P7120 boot also on battery.Regards,Ebeneezer Goode

I actually set the "On Battery" setting to "Maximum Performance". Now it completely boots on battery only. I did not want to disable it entirely, as I also run Fedora on the laptop. The good thing is that it seems Fedora overrides the MaxPerformance bios setting and handles the speedstep as per configuration.

......To boot 10.4.11 with the 8.9.1 SSE2 kernel on the p7120, remember to add the kernel flag:-legacy (either on boot or in the /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist)You may have to reinstall (upgrade) the 8.9.1 kernel Universal (8.9.1.kernel.Universal.may02) + patches (System.kext and LoginWindow.app) after the initial installation.

I am not using the '-legacy' flag and my system seems to work without issue. What is gained (or disabled) by using that flag?

VIDEO RESOLUTION FIX to enable Core Image and Quartz ExtremeRequired:IntelGMA900_fixer (DiaboliK.GMA900.Fixer.pkg)Edit the Info.plist in the following (/System/Library/Extensions):AppleIntel915.kext IOPCIMatch change 0x00008086&0x0000ffff to 0x25928086&0x0000ffffAppleIntel915GA.plugin change 80862582-0000-0000-0000-ffffffffffff to 80862592-0000-0000-0000-ffffffffffff (2 instances)AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext IOPCIMatch change 0x00008086&0x0000ffff to 0x25928086&0x0000ffff

Why all the extra steps? I get CI/QE support by simply installing the Fixer package.

Sorry about all the questions - I'm just curious. I'm just wondering if I'm missing out on something by not making these changes.

BTW, nice to see more P7120 users. Seems we are a rare breed :(

• 2 months later...
Hello everyone,

this is my installation OSx86 10.4.11 on my p7120 MacLifebook! I hope that it is helpful and thanks to all who have posted.

---------

WORKING

DVD, Ethernet, USB, Bluetooth, VGA out, Sound (speakers), PCMCIA card slot, Port Replicator

Intel PRO/Wireless 2915ABG wi-fi works with iwiDarwin, but not reliable.

NOT WORKING

Headphone/line-in jack & Microphone/line-out jack (but USB Audio works fine)

Shared slot for Memory Stick, Secure Digital and xD memory cards

NOT TESTED

Embedded TPM and Fingerprint Sensor

modem not detected

S-Video out

4-pin IEEE 1394

---------

INSTALLATION

Required:

XxX_OS_x86_10.4.11_Install_Disc_Intel.iso

Used the BlackCH's installer DVD, choosing the only the following options:

Apple Combo 10.4.11 Update

MacOSXUpdCombo10.4.11Intel.pkg

Kernel and Kexts

no-EFI Kexts

IOATAFamily.kext.Paulicat

AppleACPIPlatform.kext

AppleAPIC.kext

AppleSMBIOS.kext.Netkas

8.9.1.Kernel Universal + patches

8.9.1.kernel.Universal.may02

8.9.1.System.kext

10.4.5.LoginWindow.app

Recommended Patches

ApplePS2Controller.kext

DictionaryFix

VerboseMode

CPUPowerManagement.kext_Remover

SystemProfiler.patch

ATA_USB Controllers (NONE - did not install any)

Graphic Drivers

Intel.Integrated.Graphics

IntelGMA900

Audio Drivers

Azalia_Audio

Network Drivers

PCGeneric.Realtek8139.Ethernet

Miscellaneous

PowerManagement.bundle

CharacterPalette.component

Quicktime.Codecs

---------

Installation Notes:

If the installer DVD halts at startup 'USB caused wake event (EHCI)',

just retry until the installer executes.

After installation, no partition would boot. Reboot from installation DVD and go to terminal:

$ diskutil list

(identify your startup partion: mine was disk0 slice 1)

$ fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0

> flag 1 (the slice number)

> write

answer 'yes'

> quit

$ reboot

To boot 10.4.11 with the 8.9.1 SSE2 kernel on the p7120, remember to add the kernel flag:

-legacy (either on boot or in the /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist)

You may have to reinstall (upgrade) the 8.9.1 kernel Universal (8.9.1.kernel.Universal.may02) + patches (System.kext and LoginWindow.app) after the initial installation.

---------

VIDEO RESOLUTION FIX to enable Core Image and Quartz Extreme

Required:

Edit the Info.plist in the following (/System/Library/Extensions):

AppleIntel915.kext

AppleIntel915GA.plugin

change 80862582-0000-0000-0000-ffffffffffff to 80862592-0000-0000-0000-ffffffffffff (2 instances)

AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext

Use DiskUtility to repair permissions OR (better) in terminal:

cd /System/Library/Extensions

chown -R root:wheel [KEXT_NAME].kext

chmod -R 755 [KEXT_NAME].kext

for each kext.

Use the Paper Clip Trick from http://diabolik1605.com/DHF/index.html --> Intel GMA Support. Can

also install on the Port Replicator.

Video is now fine at 1280x768@32. Core Image and Quartz Extreme are enabled.

To fix the 100& screen brightness, I installed DarkAdaptedX.

---------

PCMICA card

Also used the ricoh_pcmcia.zip kexts found in Ebeneezer' posts.

---------

AIRPORT

Working perfectly.

TP-Link WN610G PCMICA Wireles G card

Modified the

/System/Library/Extensions/IO80211.kext/Contens/Plugins/AirPortAtheros5424.kext/Contents/Info.plist

Added 'pci168c,13' under IONameMatch using the Property List Editor found in the Developer Tools.

In /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist, be sure that the card properties are listed as:

BSD Name is 'en1'

IOInterfaceUnit is '1'

---------

MISCELLANEOUS

No Chinese or Japanese input methods were included on this installer disk.

I copied the following from a previous installation to /System/Library/Components:

SCIM.component (for simplified Chinese input)

TCIM.component (for traditional Chinese input)

50onPalette.component and HangulIM.component (for Japanese input)

yo Tuthmosis...

could give your kext to activate my pcmcia wifi (like you have one, TP-Link TL-WN610G). I have tried your guide, but my mac doesnt detect it. please send me your kext at blitznix19@yahoo.com. I want 2 try it...

thx bro

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everybody,I'm a french guy and i tried to install this version on my T70S ( equiv P7120) and i didn't success to boot on OSx I have always "Operating system not found" after reboot when installation is finishedI activate the partition in terminal but didn't change anything :(Can anyone help me ?Thanks :)and sometimes it says : /com.apple.boot.plist not found

Hi budubub,

i assume this is a problem with your partition scheme, not with OSX. Can you retry giving OSX the whole hdd in one partition? Maybe you can also post details on your partition scheme.

Bonne chance,

Ebeneezer

thanks for your answer, i succeed with a MBR partition instead of GUID :P

Now, i will try to activate my wifi atheros AR5006G :)

With the japan version, it's not an Intel card but an atheros wifi AR5006G and it dosen't work with the drivers 5004G of the version 10.4.11

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys,

Legendary post... posting this from OSX86 thanks to your advices... chuffed. I am running it off a USB drive so I didn't even affect my XP/Ubuntu installation...

Anyway, I have got one problem that I was hoping you may be able to shed some light on...

My LCD panel resolution is stuck at 1024x768. I am using it as dual head (my paperclip obviously wasn't a good conductor), and have applied all the fixes and kext/plist edits described above...

I have also tried entering "Graphics Mode"="1280x768x32" at boot, but still no luck.

Am I missing something?

Again, amazing guide, sorry for the question, but it seems so close...

Thanks as always...

Regards

Nick