10.5 EFI Install from real mac using firewire

tayklor

4 posts in this topic

OK, I want to install 10.5 with EFI onto my soon to be hackintosh, but I don't want to install a patched leopard first(can't get the BrazilMac script to work on my iBook running leo) . Instead, I was thinking to install Leopard from my PowerBook g4 onto the hackintosh's hard drive in a firewire case, then apple the patch from my PB and stick the hard drive in the hackintosh. I have a retail leo disk.

Will this work, I also have a JaS 10.4.6 DVD If I need it.

-Thanks in advance.

it certainly works on an intel macbook ... thats exactly how i cloned my install to a usb mounted sata drive

boot off retail leo dvd

clone macbook to usb->sata drive

boot back to macbook

apply efi 8 ... add replace kexts, rename 2 more kexts

and then pop the sata drive into the hackmac

and boot up the hackmac

change network settings so that theres no conflict

mung the user shortname and fix all ownerships

et viola

I'm wondering what difference if any will installing it on a g4 do?

I don't think that's going to work. G4's are PPC based. That retail disc will most likely install only PPC code for that G4 and when you go to throw it into the Hack Mac it won't boot. The disc will know what is a G4 and what is an Intel mac. You could try, but I think you are wasting your time.

Cheers,

Chevy

jzaw, how did you apply the efi patch, did you boot from the hackmac drive or do it from your macbook's OSx with Terminal?

chevy2410, all the code is universal and should work. I will try to boot my friends MacBook Pro off my powerbook in target mode tonight.Thanks for the reply.

1 other thing, where can i download EFI 8? I found 5.1 some time ago.