Upgrading to EFI v.8

verendus

7 posts in this topic

Hi, all, I am still green when it comes to OSx86. But, I managed to install Leopard on a Hacintosh (Intel BX2+Q6600) using EFI v.5.1 and BrazilMac patched Leopard. I have the EFI v.8 downloaded from IRC.

My big question is what do it need to do to upgrade my EFI to v.8?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Hi, all, I am still green when it comes to OSx86. But, I managed to install Leopard on a Hacintosh (Intel BX2+Q6600) using EFI v.5.1 and BrazilMac patched Leopard. I have the EFI v.8 downloaded from IRC.

My big question is what do it need to do to upgrade my EFI to v.8?

Thanks in advance for any help.

To upgrade to PC EFI v8 you just follow the same instructions as how you installed EFI v5.1 but instead of writing boot_v5 you write boot_v8.

There is no "upgrade", it just rewrites the bootloader with the new v8 one.

Thank you for the quick reply.

I have one more question. I used the Format & Make HD Bootable CD to format, then, installed BrazilMac DVD, then applied the patch for EFI_v5.1. Hence, the hard drive was formatted in MBR, not GUID. If I want to redo the installation, can I format the HD in GUID, install BrazilMac, then apply the patch using EFI_v.8?

Or do I need to apply the EFI_v.8 first, then format in GUID, then install.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Thank you for the quick reply.

I have one more question. I used the Format & Make HD Bootable CD to format, then, installed BrazilMac DVD, then applied the patch for EFI_v5.1. Hence, the hard drive was formatted in MBR, not GUID. If I want to redo the installation, can I format the HD in GUID, install BrazilMac, then apply the patch using EFI_v.8?

Or do I need to apply the EFI_v.8 first, then format in GUID, then install.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

You can create a GUID partition, apply EFI_v8 then install Leopard. Providing you do not change your partition to MBR neither apply anything related to MBR/GUID, you should be fine.

Thank you, Alex for the reply. So here's how I understand so far.

1. Boot using Format & Make Bootable HD CD --> create a GUID partition and format.

2. Reboot using the same CD --> apply EFI_v.8 (create "iamefi", copy files, run "startupfiletoo")

3. Reboot using BrazilMac DVD and install the OS.

And from there, I should be able to use bootcamp assistant to install Windows XP on a separate HD?

Let me know if my thinking is correct. This has been quite a learning for a non-unix person. I hope to get this up and running soon.

1. Boot using Format & Make Bootable HD CD --> create a GUID partition and format.

2. Reboot using the same CD --> apply EFI_v.8 (create "iamefi", copy files, run "startupfiletoo")

And from there, I should be able to use bootcamp assistant to install Windows XP on a separate HD?

Let me know if my thinking is correct. This has been quite a learning for a non-unix person. I hope to get this up and running soon.

Anyone know the answer to this? I'd like to know too!

No, you have to write some boot codes. its in my guide, in the sticky.

No you cannot use bootcamp assistant. Its basically a user friendly disk utility.