Building a new hackintosh and need some advice

4 posts in this topic

I have been putting together part lists, and doing my normal ammount of reaserch when upgrading. I have reasently run into a question that I have been unable to awnser. Will my Power Supply beable to handle the new componants.

My Current System:

Pentium D 950 @ 3.67

Foxconn 945P7AA Motherboard

2GB Corsair DDR2 800

HIS Radeon X1800GTO

1 74GB WD Raptor

3 250GB WD Hard Drives

1 160GB Maxtor IDE Hard Drive

2 IDE DVD-RW Drives

Various ammounts of USB and Firewire Devices.

All of this Running on my trusty "Antec TruePower 550"

The Upgrade:

Core 2 Quad Q6600

Gigabyte P35-DS3P

4GB GSkill DDR2 800

Nvidia 8800GT/GTS or Radeon HD 3870 (Just not sure yet)

I am interested in overclocking this and that is where the question came from.

Thank You all for your time

Use this power supply calculator and check:

http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

I calculated with the upgrades and 5 IDE hard drives (didn't say in your description if they were SATA or IDE) and a 320MB 8800GTS and the power supply requirement came to 366W. Thats without any USB devices, fans, additional peripherals. I think 550W power supply should work for your configuration, but its always better to have a little extra power.

EDIT:

I also tried calculating your power supply usage with NewEgg's PSU calculator:

http://educations.newegg.com/tool/psucalc/index.html

I put in a Intel Core 2 Quad series processor, a High End Desktop Motherboard, a GeForce 8800GTS Video Card, 2x1GB DDR2 RAM, 2xDVD-RW drives, 5x7200RPM Hard Drives and the total wattage came to a whopping 720W which I think is very inaccurate.

Yeah, 720 is overdoing it. Just get a powersupply compatible with your mobo. :o

Well actually any ATX power supply is compatible with any ATX motherboard so if you have power intensive hardware you do have to plan a bit :D One way to reduce power consumption would be instead of having multilple small capacity hard drives, buy one or 2 big hard drives (750GB or 1TB) and put the other hard drives in external enclosures and use then for backup or something.

:)

pcwiz