can you stop leopard needing the DVD to boot everytime?

urgonah8me

23 posts in this topic

or u can get a gparted cd or use a ubuntu live cd, open terminal in ubuntu, type "sudo gparted" (without the quotes)

then flag the partition as boot

restart and presto, leopard running smooth.

didn't work for me with gparted. any other suggetions to get it bootable without reformatting?

greetings nicam

I tried using the make bootable DVD followed by a Kalyway 10.5.1 install. I tried it with boot-efi, boot-guid and without either checked. It only would only boot with the boot-efi selection. However, it booted to darwin bootloader and then apple screen and then to a blank grey screen with the pointer arrow and nothing else on the screen. Any help would be appreciated.

my situation is: boot with "make bootable" DVD, it showed half screen of text, at the bottom there is "still waiting for boot device" or something like that, can't remember the exact word. Nothing further.... any help is greatly appreciated!!!

BTW: I did some search on forum, it seems the only guaranteed way to make bootable is to install Tiger first, then install Leo to overwrite on it. Say you have 2 partitions, install Tiger on either one of them and make Partition 1 bootable. Then install Leo, Leo will only modify system file but not boot sector. This way Leo can guaranteed to boot. I am willing to go down this route if I have to. Could any one recommend a certain version of Tiger?

sadly this did not work, it alowed to boot up after using the method mentioned in here , but it only gets to a blue screen with the cursor showing and no further :unsure: anyone sugest anything?

im downloading the iaktos leopard now does anyone think this might be a better option for me?

man, I don't know if this is the solution. but basically I am running Leo without damn DVD. You just use diskutility to make the whole hard drive a SINGLE partition in MBR format. Then install, make sure you choose MBR in "customize". Now it boots up without DVD!

My leopard needs the dvd in the drive for every boot otherwise it stays on a black screen when i turn on my laptop

has anyone found a way to stop this? and to let it boot without the dvd?

Just test KALYWAY_LEO_10.5.1intel_SSE2_SSE3.zip, OK. No need dvd in the drive.

And can update as auto detect even system file. :rolleyes:

Display can take rotation. :D

Re: Asus P5L-MX , Celeron 420

im getting frustrated that i cant get it running without needing the DVD, I have tried the fix dvd that doesnt help.. the system starts up and then the white screen flashes realy fast and then the laptop restarts...

or if it managed to get passed that issue it stays at a blue screen and no further...

i tried the live ubuntu cd terminal comand but the flags said the partition was set to boot...

nothings working :D... i hope iaktos version works gonna try it later to do.. if anyone knows how to get out of this problem please feel free to post :(

urgonah8me,

You have two different problems. The blue screen problem happens to me also when I use the Kalyway Leo install. When I use the iATKOS Leo install it boots pass the blue screen. My problem is that the IATKOS install breaks my iDisk. Does anyone have any suggestions for this problem.

I remember that I read it somewhere on the forum stating that you have to "wipe" 5 times (choose in security option" when you erase the partition. Otherwise you sometimes didn't completely erase the whole partition, especially the booting sector, which causes problem. Try to choose "wipe 5 times" when you erase. And only 1 partition?

I tried to install kalyway on my asus G1s laptop with vanilla + acpi fix + guid_efi, I wasn't able to boot into system w/o the DVD.

I re-installed with vanilla only (no acpi fix) + mbr_efi + sse2 and I'm able to boot w/o DVD.

But still the system is shaky and I end up in command line to repair and delete the mkext...

So I'm going to wait untill 10.5.2 comes out.

• 3 months later...

This topic is a bit old but i had the same problem... after a couple of hours searching the web i found the solution: You have to name your harddisk during installation and *this is important*, dont use 2 words!!! Name your disk 'Mac' or 'Leopard' or whatever u feel like but dont use more than 1 word... it worked for me.. Cheers