Problems with ntfs-3g on Leopard

FabricioGS

12 posts in this topic

Ok, that was teh last time I try to use this ^_^ . It never worked ok in my pc. During the firts boots it works like sharm, and after 5 or 6 reboots it simply stop working!

Can somewone explain why all my NTFS partitions are shown like this (see attached picture)?

Now, I just can't see any NTFS partition thanks to this :( .

post-5507-1198866900_thumb.png

Nice tip. I gave up of ntfs-3g. Will try this software instead.

I have gone the opposite route. I use "Mac Drive" in Windows machines to read HFS instead of Mac machines to read NTFS.

I realize some people install drives into towers that are NTFS. Not sure why unless you are dual booting. But then you could take one drive and start converting, then install Mac Drive into your Windows system.

Just a thought.

I have gone the opposite route. I use "Mac Drive" in Windows machines to read HFS instead of Mac machines to read NTFS.

I realize some people install drives into towers that are NTFS. Not sure why unless you are dual booting. But then you could take one drive and start converting, then install Mac Drive into your Windows system.

Just a thought.

if all my picture and music files are residing on ntfs partitions and i don't want them duplicated or moved, ntfs for osx is the solution. itunes and a number of image processing programs try to write thumbnail previews and databases to the same location the files are located. ntfs for osx is a no-brainer. But I also use MacDrive for fixing stuff I may have damaged when messing around with my leo installation. I guess both ways is the best solution ;)

I had ntfs-3g working fine under Tiger but never installed it under Leopard because Paragon was out by then and only $29USD. Works much more responsibly than ntfs-3g in that it writes considerably faster to your drives. I also have been using macdrive7 on my pc's. Version 6 kind of stunk, but 7 has caused me no problems. Great flexibility between pc and mac because of these two programs.

Alright, now things are really pissing me off. I'm using Paragon NTFS and the same thing happend after I register it; all my NTFS can't be mounted. 29 dollars on the garbage.

EDIT: I rebooted twice and it's working again. Go figure...

Macdrive 7 screwed me with GUID HFS+ partitions. Somehow when I wrote a single file to one of the partition the whole thing could not be seen or mounted in OSX, (yet macdrive could still see them all fine). It was like it was there but OSX could not tell where 1 partition ended and the next started (boot record or whatever they call it in GUID was gone). I had to perform some magic to get them back. Clone each partition with drive genius (dont ask me how it could see the partitions). Then once they were cloned I had to reformat the whole disc and then reload the images back on. It was very annoying.

So watch out using macdrive 7 with GUID. I think its not GUID ready.

it worked here on my 10.5.1. But I always lost write permission to at least one of my partitions (three on notebook, 5 on PC). I gave up on it and I am using Paragon NTFS for OSX without a problem.

http://www.paragon-software.com/home/ntfs-mac/

Sometimes when I use Paragon and then Boot back under XP, the chkdsk runs. Believe that Windows doesn't like actions from "someone" else !

Sometimes when I use Paragon and then Boot back under XP, the chkdsk runs. Believe that Windows doesn't like actions from "someone" else !

interesting, I have vista installed, never had this problem. booting fine even after heavily copying and moving stuff from htfs to ntfs drives. interesting.