Can you boot into OSX off a RAID set using the ROCKETRAID 2310?

sethius

5 posts in this topic

So.. has anyone actually managed to get osx to boot off ANY raid.. if so which raid controller do you use?

The problem that i have is that i have an intel raid (ich8r/ich9r) (sata II) with 2 320 gb drives attached and a single sata II 500 gb drive and i need speed and data protection for my operating systems and for all of my music production data..

The intel raid won't work with osx, for obvious reasons, and to be fair i'm having doubts as too how good it really is..

What i want to do is to have the 320 gb drives as a 640gb RAID 0 set (Striped) - for tiger, leopard and vista - and buy another 500 gb drive and combine it with the one that i already have and have them set up as a 500gb RAID 1 set (mirrored) - for music production data..

Any help would be extremely appreciated..

Thanks..

thanks kingskawn..

im sure that the apple raid card is very expensive.. the rocketraid card is only $160/£99 and supports osx.. on their site they say that booting is not posible in a NORMAL mac, but since i'm using a pc i'm thinking that it could be possible - since you can boot into pretty much any other OS using it..

i basically need a harware RAID controller.. but i want to buy something that i KNOW works and that someone has already got working..

after doing a bit more research it seems that the reason that the rocketraid cards won't boot in a mac pro is because mac pros use efi and not bios.. this is only a theory, but if you look here:

http://www.techmessenger.com/Apple-OS-X-Le...-071106002.html

..it seems that Areca have had similar problems.

It seems to me that currently avaliable raid cards, with osx drivers, 'should' be able to be bootable in pcs as long as osx 'takes over' with an apropriate driver, when it starts to load...

Again, this is only a theory - and i really need someone with a proper hardware raid card and osx drivers to try this out..