What's wrong with StartupSound.prefPane 1.1 and Leo?

Wizi

3 posts in this topic

I was so happy with this little program when I was a Tiger user. Unfortunately after switching to Leopard things became different :) Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. The official website says that there should be a problem only during the first reboot, than all must go flawlessly. I wish I could describe how annoying the startup sound to me is! :(

Does anybody has the same problem and found a solution already? Thank you in advance!

Andy

I too have had problems with this app. I'm kind of weary about mentioning this, but I love the chime on my MBP, so I like to crank the startup chime However, with this app under Leopard (10.5.1) I would get all sorts of sound volumes upon reboots and cold starts. Sometimes muted, sometimes loud, sometimes in between.

In the end I just removed it.

(a somewhat embarrassed) ^_^

-P

If you haven't already done so, have you tried uninstalling it (using the installer that came with it, since the prefPane is not the only piece of it despite the name), (and I would suggest rebooting twice afterwards to see if that worked), and then reinstalling it? From the little bit of information that I could find about how it works, I have come to the belief that it uses a kernel extension (kext) to set the startup volume (presumably done when the computer shuts down). It might be possible that the 10.5.0 to 10.5.1 update broke it. I installed StartupSound.prefPane (1.1) for the first time 15 days (at the minimum) after installing 10.5.1 and it has worked perfectly, even when I boot into Windows XP (which is really amazing).