Best battery life?

LlamaGuy

14 posts in this topic

Well now that Broadcom wireless is fully functional in 8f1099 and 8f1111 I decided to bite the 10.4.3 bullet and upgrade to 8f1099. I chose 1099 over 1111 because of the virtual memory differences in 1111. I'm running a Dell C640, no SSE3 and an ATI Radeon 7500. In 10.4.1 I could get about 1h50m of battery life while using my laptop with wireless on and brightness around mid level. In 8f1099 I only got 1h20m with brightness all the way down and wireless on. That's not even enough to make it through one class which just won't do.

So now I have all weekend to come up with a solution until I'll need my trusty dellBook again for class on Tuesday. How do you guys think 8f1111 will hold up to 10.4.1 when it comes to battery life? I'm assuming it won't be too good because of the 4gb/4gb VM swap problems. What are some things I can do to improve battery life? Here's some things on my check list

1) Play with the ATIRadeon.kext kernel extensions, try with and without it loaded

2) Maybe kill some unused services

That's all I got... any suggestions or insight?

I have a dream of one day getting QE supported with my 7500. I know it's possible... it meets the hardware requirements. I'm sure that would improve battery life quite a bit because the CPU wouldn't have to render so much.

It's called some paper and a pen. What do you need a notebook for in class? Maybe a programming class....

Thank you for your help! No really, I appreciate it. Go to college with a laptop and then with a pen and paper and tell me which one you like better.

Also, what sort of battery life do you get under windows?

And to respond to your edit -- Somewhere around three hours, if I remember correctly. I only need 1h30m to make it through my lecture classes, which is I've been using 10.4.1 on my laptop. I like the interface better than Windows, and Word:mac's Audio Notebook is the coolest thing I've ever seen for taking notes.

Alright, to get an accurate measurement on the battery usage, I used my debug version of PowerManagement.bundle (http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?showtopic=2237) to look at the current being pulled from the battery in various situations. I took four consecutive samples on a fresh boot with wireless off, no programs (besides console) and brightness all the way down. Here's what I came up with:

Without ATIRadeon.kext, no kext loaded

1233, 1230, 1225, 1243

With ATIRadeon.kext from 8f1099 loaded

1259, 1244, 1267, 1341

With ATIRadeon.kext from 10.4.4 loaded

1286, 1297, 1279, 1339

Repeat with no kext loaded

1278, 1323, 1275, 1256

The differences are marginal at best. Anyone have some ideas of other things I could test?

Yes I do attend college, and I stand firm that pen and paper beat a laptop for note taking. Was just a bit of sarcasm, no hard feelings.

To each his own, I guess. I can type twice as fast as I can write, record the lecture at the same time, and it comes out neater.

You're not going to get good battery life out of Mac OS on non-Apple portables; the OS power management strategy is heavily dependent on specific hardware in the system.

Yes, I realize that but I just want to squeeze out an extra 20 minutes. I was able to do it in 10.4.1 and just wanted the same thing in 10.4.3.

I agree with crazymonkeypants.

My brother's iBook can squeeze up to 5 hours life time without any sacrifice on performance. And with some little tweaking done, It can get through more than 6 hours (well... 6 hours top).

Mine? Can only get it less than 2 hours...

I've reevaluated my battery situation in Windows, and it turns out that 10.4.1 is getting roughly what Windows gets. Quite interesting... the battery performance was getting worse and worse as the versions went on. I wonder what would happen if someone installed 10.4.1 on their MacBook... though I don't know if that would be possible with the EFI problems.

• 4 months later...

Have a Dell 9-cell battery (a premium over the standard 6 cell) and it lasts for 5 hours in Windows XP with Wi-Fi on. When running 10.4.6, I can only get 2 hours and 30 minutes. Anyone know of a solution to get better battery life? I always thought OS X was more efficient ;)