8800GT G92 512mb _id:0611 10.5.2 files: !TEST!

spanakorizo

64 posts in this topic

i did some tests with the option cpus=1 on and off

and i think that my problem relies there

if i boot with all 4 cores, it locks up on everything, from firefox to toast to system update

with the cpus=1 option on, i have 3 hours navigating on the web, copied 3 dvd's, got QE/CI enabled,

the diference is speed, with the 4 cores, works fast, with 1 core, normal speed

anyone with a duo or quad proc care to test this?

Just BURNT (not even did TEST) with Toast a CDRW (700Mo) in 8x so it took 10min, and DIDN'T HAVE a SINGLE bug.

I'm using my home made Leopard, using the retail DVD and updated to 10.5.1 (running pcefi).

Only using patched AppleSMBIOS, IONetworkingFamily for Time Machine Fix and patched APpleACPIPlatform to fix reboot bug.

Everything else is vanilla kexts.

Just BURNT (not even did TEST) with Toast a CDRW (700Mo) in 8x so it took 10min, and DIDN'T HAVE a SINGLE bug.

I'm using my home made Leopard, using the retail DVD and updated to 10.5.1 (running pcefi).

Only using patched AppleSMBIOS, IONetworkingFamily for Time Machine Fix and patched APpleACPIPlatform to fix reboot bug.

Everything else is vanilla kexts.

please i said DVD not CD!

i could also copy a CD (not read only but burn)

copy a DVD but let it do only the reading

I'll try a DVD later, though resizing windows/moving them is fast (as fast as on my old G80 or on my Macbook pro).

About the pdf crash, well well, I tried to open one in Preview, it worked and as soon as I ran the Slideshow, it made the whole PC crash (beach ball of the death, I had that bug alot with my G80 and VMware fusion) and it's definitly a NVIDIA crash, just look in system.log and it's an OpenGL NVIDIA crash.

Now maybe that's what you encounter spanakonzo ? Beach ball of the death ? i.e, you can move the mouse but the whole system crashes ? If so hopefuly 10.5.2 final will fix it !

not only that kind of crash you had

sometimes this either but usually you can't move anything ,the music stucks ,and you can't even move the mouse

and i also have kernel panics (grey screen slides from the up with the message: please hold power button etc etc.."

but usually the screen stucks and you can't move the mouse ,you have to reboot

anyway if you try dvd with toast it will crash i tell you

when the 10.5.2 final is coming out?

I have been playing with this for the last few days.

Try downloading "CallOfDuty2 Demo". Playing the game in Vista is smooth as butter at almost maxed out settings. Under OSX86 Panther it is painfully slow and pretty much unplayable.

I have also noticed something that I had noticed on my old system with a 7600GT.

Antialasing is not working? Normally with 4x or 8x AA edges are nice and sharp.

So far I have only tested with Enemy Territory and the COD2 demo but will try others.

And also the textures look flat "possably no bumpmapping" and dull "anistropic filtering?".

Looking at the Xbench data it looks like issues with Opengl. Hopfully the official 10.5.2 will help. :)

Motherboard

Manufacturer: Gigabyte

Model: GA-P35_DS3L

Version: Rev2

Bios Version: Latest from Gigabyte

Chipset: P35/ICH9, Jmicron

Audio: working with ""HDA_ICH9_ALC888" ALCinject.kext & AppleHDA.kext"

LAN: onboard worked after Install

CPU

Model Number: Core 2 Duo E6750

Specs: "2.66GHz, 4MB L2 Cache, 1333 MHz FSB, running at 3.2ghz"

Recognised as: 3.2GHz

Memory/DDR:

Manufacturer: Corsair

Model: CM2X1024-6400

Memory size: 1GB

Qty: 2 X

Video

Manufacturer: XFX

Model: Geforce 8800GT Alpha Dog Edition

Bus Type: PCIe x16

Memory size: 256

Dual screen working? Yes

QE/CI working? Yes

Resolution changeable? Yes

Rotation changeable? Yes

Required patches or bios flashing? "10.5.2 kext's, OpenGL.framework" Natit

SATA/IDE :

WDC WD360GD "10K SATA Raptor 36GB" "Vista 32bit Installed full partition"

WDC WD1600JD "7.2K SATA 160GB" "Storage disk NTFS full partition"

Bios setting is set to AHCI

ICH9 "Worked after install"

TSSTcorpCD/DVDW "IDE CD/DVDW" "I installed Kalyway DVD from this"

WDC WD600AB "IDE 60GB HD" "Installed Kalyway""Full HFS+ partition MBR"

Jmicron "Worked during and after install"

misc hardware:

USB Mouse and Keyboard pluged into USB to PS2 adapters into old cheap 4 port PS2 KVM

"Worked during and after install"

CoD 2 is bugged with 8xxx cards and has frameskips... Try to update the game with latest patchs and enable or disable Vsync (I don't remember but it's related with vsync).

On the demo, don't bother it'll still be slow !

i would encounter "freeze" in this way,

change desktop background,

and then add one or two folders with around 100 pics inside,

my system will freeze randomly when the pics is loading.

even my system didn't for the first time, that would hang

after rebooting. i have the iphoto entries inside, not yet test

it would freeze or not..

can somebody try?

the drivers in 10.5.2 are not very stable yet, that's a fact, and I believe we'll have to wait a little longer till it get's completely in order..

i also have the freezes, and if I check my system logs, it's a kernel panic due to GeForce.kext.

I believe this also is because we don't have a complete 10.5.2 system but only the kext+GL framework, so the system makes calls to functions that don't exist in other frameworks/libraries..

edit: Also, very fast way of crashing your card is by opening iPhoto and trying to correct red eyes. This makes use of QE/CI.

• 2 weeks later...

Greetz

i´ve tried the new NVInstaller v.31 from scottdangel.com on a new fresh kalyway 10.5.1 installation . The installer works fine and everything like resolution change and QE/CI works.

The whole system responds a little bit faster. But i still get the "system crash" when i do "more demanding things" on the pc. When i use Itunes and i start parallels desktop with an xp installation the system still freezes after a few minutes :(:D

hope the 9C27 kexts will finally work