chachawpi

5 posts in this topic

First off, my hardware.

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P

Core 2 Duo E6850

4GB GeiL PC6400 DDR2 RAM @ 4-4-4-12

320MB GeForce 8800 GTS

150GB 10,000 RPM Western Digital Raptor

I can install Kalyway fine. I select to use the vanilla kernel and the ACPI fix during the install. I manually install NVinject and my ALC889a sound drivers with no problems. The OS itself boots in about 10 seconds, which is 50 seconds less then either iATKOS or ToH... I presume because of the JMicron detection? I was never too concerned with boot time, but Kalyway's blew me away. I am able to install the updates to iTunes, Quicktime, Remote Desktop, and the security update with no problems. I run the "virginizer" to restore the OS to a default look with no problems.

The problems come when I try to install the game World of Warcraft, and more specifically, the Burning Crusade expansion. The default game downloads and installs without any problems. However, during the downloading of the Burning Crusade expansion I get a number of kernel panics. I have reproduced the error on two separate installs of the OS, one without running the virginizer and one with running it, just to eliminate that as the issue.

The file will eventually finish and I can begin to install it. I get a kernel panic at around 20% every single time. I have reproduced this using my CD's as well. I installed the game flawlessly on both ToH and iATKOS. This leads me to believe there is some kext or something included in Kalyway that is causing the problems. I don't have any log of the panics for some reason. I looked for the panic.log file but did not see one. I have tried this dual-booting with both Vista and XP Pro.

I have also noticed that my system seems very sluggish in Kalyway. It's hard to explain, but it sounds like the hard drive is being taxed constantly. It is abnormally loud. I do not get this issue in Windows, ToH, or iATKOS. Obviously that issue, along with the inability to even install the only game that I play, is going to keep me from using Kalyway when I don't get either of these issues on ToH or iATKOS. If anyone else has similar problems (similar hardware) and has come up with any solutions, I'd love to hear them.

I have also noticed that my system seems very sluggish in Kalyway. It's hard to explain, but it sounds like the hard drive is being taxed constantly. It is abnormally loud. I do not get this issue in Windows, ToH, or iATKOS.

I notice that too. Whats up with that?

I seem to have alleviated this issue by switching my SATA ports into AHCI mode. However, now I have the issue that I am unable to boot unless I bring up the boot menu during post and select the hard drive that Kalyway is installed to. This is not a huge deal, just mildly annoying. For what it's worth, I did a fresh install after setting the ports to AHCI.

• 5 weeks later...

I just installed 10.5 using Kalway's DVD and the only time I get Kernel panics is when I am trying to install World of Warcraft. I thought it was a problem with the DVD drive originally, so I made an image of the drive and tried to install it from my hard drive. I progressed further in the installation but still ended up with a kernel error. Any suggestions on how I could fix this issue?

P.S. I have a sata dvd drive with AHCI selected. My HD is IDE and uses JMicron. I have the option in the bios set to IDE for this, I don't think it would boot if I set it to ahci.

kalyway, burning crusade, running,

think it's efi vanilla, forgot, p5ld2-vm 2.0,

but hat to replace the celeron with a core 2 duo,

7600gs, install from cd, + patch, turned torrent off, for update,

ahci , have to switch to native , to boot windoze, sleep wake works !

don't remember if I installed the expansion pack ,

also installed the new one , III, what runs, my son is playing it, sorry if I'am not sure,