SSE2 and SSE3

the_dingman

8 posts in this topic

So... how can I tell if my CPU is SSE2 or SSE3 (hate to admit it, but I've never heard those terms before).

I'm running an AMD Athlon 64 3200+ (socket 754)

google and download everest home edition (its free) , click on motherboard icon, and then CPUID icon

SSE = Intel's Streaming SIMD Extensions. SSE was 'improved' to create SSE2 and then SSE3. The actual difference is detailed on Intel's site but I won't link to it because it's incredibly boring. It allegedly makes various graphics functions faster if you have SSE3 (there are more specific graphics ops which take several extra cycles otherwise) but in practice the difference isn't usually noticeable - this quote from a gaming site:

"SSE3? Bah. That won't make any difference. Using SSE1 instead of x87 will make a huge difference, but presumably it is used. The bulk of the SIMD instructions you'd want to use are pretty obvious and Intel got it right the first time with SSE1. It is only in very rare cases SSE3 provides any benefit at all."

With OSx86 I believe there's more use of SSE3 but since your graphics etc. are probably not fully supported chances are you wouldn't notice any difference.