Newbie - wants to install on my P4

LoyallyMac

9 posts in this topic

Hi

Mine is a P4, ECS mobo, BFG 5600 AGP video card.

Can I install Hacked Leopard? Are there any other better options? Would this be better than Redhat?

Where can I easily download Hacked Leopard or .... - which one is better ?

What options/format do I have in portioning the HD - any recommendations in portioning?

I also have Acer celeron Laptop - will Hacked Leopard work on this too?

What do you do for word processing tools, Word etc?

Thank you

I presumed that your P4 is mounted on a socket 478. If your P4 has SSE3 (Prescott core, usually has 1MB L2 cache), and your motherboard is running on intel chipset (i.e. 865 with ICH5), you should have a decent chance for a successful install, but do not expect a quick and smooth installation.

The Kalyway Leo 10.5.1 DVD says it's compatible with SSE2 box (although I have one Northwood too), yet I have not tried it with SSE2 only processor.

Check out the HCL in the wiki & forum for a head start.

Good luck!

Check my sig, it will install and run well. its a good learning experience but if you realy want the power of the OS and no issues and or bugs, you should buy a Mac. Word Process = Neo Office

Hi Padfoot & Donw35,

I am really a newbie and there is a lot of jargon in your messages - let em ask.

1) Mine is P4, Socket 478, PC3200 memory

2) I downloaded iATKOS_v1.0i and still downloading TheHotfix-Leopard SE33 and SE22 ONLY.iso - the latter is twice as big as the first one - why?

3) Which distribution works for my pc? Where can I download it?

4) What is SSE, SE33 & SE22?

5) What is "Check out the HCL in the wiki " ? What are the URLs please?

6) AM I correct that you are both recommending me to "Kalyway Leo 10.5.1 DVD " instead of the both that I downloaded?

I appreciate it.

I am in no way an expert on this but I will answer what I can.

1. It will work on this processor but need to know what Motherboard you are using.

2. haven't used either

3. Kalyway should work, see #1 though. Do some searching around here, you will find the info but no direect link.

4. SSE2 and SSE3 (Streaming SIMD Extension), a Prescott or Northwood processor does both.

5. HCL. Hardware Compatibility Layer (list of known working hardware)

6. I am.

Well, you could try it. Do some search on this forum about VIA chipsets, that may be you biggest issue. I would recommend Kalyway, if that wont work chances are the other wont either.