Going from 10.5 Flat Image to EFI+Vanilla Kernel

alepro2

6 posts in this topic

Hi,

I have been using the 10.5 flat image installation for quite some time now, and most things work quite nicely. The notable exceptions are that Rosetta crashes instantly when a PPC app is excecuted and a few minor niggles here and there.

I would like to use the EFI emulation and a vanilla kernel so that I can make use of the auto updates and hopefully get Rosetta to work.

Question:

Can anyone recommend a method that leaves my current Leopard install intact and while making the above changes? I put a lot of work into fitting out my installation and I'd like to avoid starting from scratch again.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!

Just follow the directions inside the readme for the"easy install" that comes with the EFI zip. Its extremely easy and takes no time at all. You must install the 10.5.1 update before running the EFI script since it gives you a vanilla kernel (you run the script immediately AFTER rebooting when installing the 10.5.1 update). If you dont have a countdown timer for darwin bootloader then you need to edit "/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist" before restarting so that there is one, you will need to boot into single user mode by typing "-s" at the darwin boot prompt. Basically do it in this order: Make the EFI folder > Edit the boot.plist to have a timeout if it doesnt already have one > Install 10.5.1 > Reboot > Type -S at the boot options and run the script after the prompt.

Thanks heaps for the reply idividebyzero!

I got the EFI v8 but unfortunately it lacks the "easy install" instructions (or any instructions for that matter) that you mentioned. The guides I have seen so far all assume a total HDD wipe as part of the installation.

Any chance you could point me to where to find the "easy install" instructions?

- Easy installation --- For Single-Booting systems ---

Create directory iamefi in the root folder of your boot osx disk.

Copy all included files into it

Boot in Single User mode by mashing F8 key during boot (right after bios POST) type -s and press enter

Then enter the following commands

cd /iamefi

./startupfiletool /dev/rdiskXsX ./boot_v8

reboot

Whereas rdiskXsX is the partition where your OSX install is (you can check that out on Disk Utility in OSX)

And v* is the EFI version bootloader you wish to use.

Existing 10.4.10 and 10.5/10.5.1 kernels compiled from sources, made by Toh are already known to work with this package.

You can also use vanilla appleacpiplatform.kext for leopard, and vanilla applesmbios.kext, but you might experience some glitches in system profiler and incorrect processor recognition with the latter.

dsmos.kext is mandatorily needed for vanilla and binary hacked kernels.

All credits for this work goes to def, Turbo , netkas, Dmitrik. And all testers.

English readme corrected by TorqueX86.

© ToH, 2007

From the readme. You do not need to reinstall or format anything to install EFI on any install. You only need to re-partition if you want to use GUID instead of MBR.

So is it possible to install a EFI-based OSX version on a second partition on the same drive as an existing XP install using Kalyway? I know, totally different question from the topic starter, but the question isn't 'large' or original enough to start a new topic. I hope you don't mind Alepro2 :)