Boot iatkos leopard dmg from a usb HD

00diabolic

6 posts in this topic

Does anyone know how to do this? Simply restore the image onto the HD and then make the partition bootable with disk utility, but HOW? What are the commands to make it bootable?

Ive heard mention of people installing from USB HD but cant for the life of me figure out how there doing that and its WAY faster then burning a DVD. CAN Someone give me a quick run down with the commands.

THANKS

There is a built-in Unix utility in MacOSX that can be used to set your partition "Active". It is called FdiskSetting Your Partition "Active" Using FdiskWords in bold below are things you must type (followed by Enter).1. Boot your Mac OS X install dvd2. Once the installer is running, go to the Utilities menu and open Terminal3. Determine which disk your MacOSX partition is onType diskutil listVerify which disk number holds your partition (disk0, disk1, etc.)4. Start using FdiskAssuming the MacOSX disk is the first disk ("disk0"), thentype fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0 <== use "rdisk" with your disk number here !!Ignore the error "fdisk: could not open MBR file ..."5. Determine which partition for MacOSX needs to be set "Active"Type pVerify which partition is for MacOSX (1, 2, 3, etc.) 6. Set the partition "Active"Assuming it is partition 1, thentype f 1 <== use your partition number here !!7. Save and exitType writeType y (yes you are sure)Type exit (to quit)8. Remove the install DVD and rebootI forgot to mention This rewrites the MBR and the partion table so becareful....

Thank you. This explains what I was doing wrong then also. oK now I get it sorta.. but I got a question...

So basically using a bootable iso/dmg (which are interchangeable in mac format from what I understand correct me if im wrong).

The bootable image can be booted off an MBR formatted HD once the HD is set active. There is no other steps to get it to work?

THANKS AGAIN

• 2 months later...

I'm also curious about this. I can't get any of the leo releases to boot (haven't tried iAtkos yet but I've tried Kalyway and Leo4all) but I have a Macbook that I could boot them from. I want to know if it is possible to boot from the Macbook, install to an external USB drive, then clone that image over to my PC hard drive and set it as bootable. Does that make sense to anyone? I'm kind of new at this (although I do have a pretty solid 10.4.11 running on my pc thanks to JaS!).