Mac working on USB hard drive - But I would like to transfer to Primary HD Partition

rich2912

8 posts in this topic

Hi there, I am new here. I have spent hours trying to work this out, and I hope I can get some help here.

I have installed the "leopard-x86-flat-img" file to an external HD. When I boot from the "USB Storage Device", OS X works fine (well as good as it will without attempting to write some drivers for my specific hardware.)

I would like to make an image of the install and copy it to a partition on my drive so that I no longer have to plug in my external drive. Here is what I've tried already (so you can tell me where I'm going wrong)

- Simply tried to copy the partition with Acronis Disk Suite (did not work - but I'm hoping I did something wrong)

- Looked into using Norton Ghost, but luckily found that windows does not recognize (explorer side -- recognized in device manager) the Mac Partition. So I assume that Norton wont recognize the partition too.

Here is some hardware and software configuration to help clarify my needs:

-Dell Inspirion E1505 Laptop

-Tri-boot Vista/XP/Linux Ubuntu

-1.5gig RAM

-250gb HDD

I can clarify if you need to know more.

Thanks,

Rich

Have you tried disk utility from within OSX. Try the restore option and see what that does (but I bet it wont work, read on). Some people have even used disk utility with a bootable DMG files to restore to a USB drive and then installed OSX that way. However I have never gotten that to work. We both have the same problem here.

The reason it wont work is the boot loader though. Just formatting and copying over an image is not enough. You have to basicly tell the boot sector to boot that drive. In windows this is called making it active. On a mac I have NO idea how to do this & I would REALLY LIKE TO KNOW. Thus I have been stuck installing from a burned DVD when installing from a USB HD would be like 4 times faster. Anyway if someone can help you its the same thing I have been looking for to use DMG files to boot off of.

Can someone give us a crash course here. I learn fast LOL.

Yes, it seems like we have the same issue. I really don't want to carry a USB external HDD around with me all the time. I would have thought a simple partition copy (using Acronis) would work. One time I tried it, it did come up on the Acronis boot list. When I tried to boot it, it said something about an HFS+ problem.

I too learn fast and would love to help others out.

A second question - My university is selling a single use licence of Leopard for $99. I would prefer to pay for the software I just downloaded off the net. Is there anyway I could use my licence on the copy I just downloaded?

Thanks

I ended up deleting my Ubuntu primary partition, and making OS X a primary (but not active.) It's all working now (copied straight from the external HDD that I originally installed OS X on.)

I then reinstalled Ubuntu on the fourth extended partition. Everything works great now. I've decided that I will now add DesktopBSD and Mandriva (for what it can do that Ubuntu cannot). After I have 6 OS's booting off one drive I'll put a guide online.

It seems pointless, but it will be great to say you can use all these OS's, when you update your resume -- so it's worth a try.

I ended up deleting my Ubuntu primary partition, and making OS X a primary (but not active.) It's all working now (copied straight from the external HDD that I originally installed OS X on.)

I then reinstalled Ubuntu on the fourth extended partition. Everything works great now. I've decided that I will now add DesktopBSD and Mandriva (for what it can do that Ubuntu cannot). After I have 6 OS's booting off one drive I'll put a guide online.

It seems pointless, but it will be great to say you can use all these OS's, when you update your resume -- so it's worth a try.

are you using diskutility to copy from the external hdd?

please share with us... :)

I used the Acronis suite. It has a partition program on there. One of the things you can do is copy an entire partition from any drive to another, or within a drive.

So in effect, I installed OS X on an external drive (eliminating the need to wipe my laptop drive) and then I copied that over to my laptop drive into empty space. Because it was a straight copy, it made the copy both primary and active. I set XP as active once again and everything boots fine.

If there is an interest in making your laptop (single drive) quad boot -- then please let me know and I will put together documentation that I would be happy to share. Please note you will need an SSE3 (best) of SSE2 (will most likely work) processor. For a list, check this link... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSE3 or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSE2