Do I dare hackintosh my new laptop?

4 posts in this topic

I just ordered my first laptop. Got a sweet deal on it- $1,080 after tax and shipping. Should get here by January 9th.

Now, I've been interested in the Hackintosh project for a while. I had most of the necessary files and was probably about a week away from feeling confident enough to give it a try on my desktop.. then it crashed. Now, I'm getting this sweet, brand new laptop.. do I dare attempt to hackintosh?

How difficult- say on a scale from 1-10- will it be to complete this project on a laptop, considering posted specs (below):

Has anyone tried this process on a laptop with similar specifications? Specifically a newer HP Laptop?

Thanks for anyone who reads this topic. I'd love to be able to put my friends new $1500 macbook to shame :P And happy holidays!

--Specs--

HP Pavilion dv9700t Notebook PC

Windows Vista Home Premium (32-bit)

Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T7500 2.20ghz 4MB L2 Cache, 800mhz FSB

17.0" WXGA+ High-Definition HP BrightView Widescreen Display (1440x900)

3GB DDR2 Sysetm Memory (2 Dimm)

256MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

Fingerprint Reader/Webcam/Integrated Microphone/Bluetooth

Intel PRO/Wireless 4965AGN Network Connection

240GB 7200PRM SATA Dual Hard Drive (120GB x 2) [perfect for keeping vista and leopard separate?]

LightScribe SuperMulti 8x DVD+/-RW with Double Layer Support

Edit: Also, if this is a reasonable project, I'd be more than willing to contribute a detailed, step by step tutorial with my hardware, in return for some help figuring out just how to do it :D

why not? the adventure of making it work is worth it.. :wacko:

what distro do you have with and you're planning to use?

I have nothing yet. I had a copy of 10.5.1 and then gave it to a friend after my desktop fried. More accurately, I will be giving it to a friend on Christmas day. So I'm open to purchasing whatever distribution that I have the most luck with/support for.