Dell XPS 420

17 posts in this topic

Hello -

I recently posted about which mobo to get for my homebuilt quad-core machine, and I ended up with the Bad Axe II, along with the Q6600 processor, 4gb ram and two 500gb HD's. It is running quite nicely - I had to re-do my system though because I thought it would be cool to NOT set my drives to AHCI mode. I havenot been able to get sleep to wrok yet, but I attribute that to my ATI x1550 video card.

In either case, I am getting a new desktop for my brother. He wants to buy a Dell XPS 420. Priced out a quad-core system with an ATI 2900XT video card, 3GB ram and 500gb HD and it meets his budget. The thing is, I played around with one of those at my office, and I was not able to get all four cores working, not able to get ethernet working, and not able to get OSX to recognize the second drive that I installed in the system (for dual boot) - both drives were sata, and Vista saw both drives.

So the question is this - Has anyone made the Dell XPS 420 work with four cores and with either RAID or multiple drives?

I have read enough to know that the ethernet flat out will not work, but the 4-cores thing and the dual boot thing is pretty important. If it cannot be done, I will just build my bro a machine like I built.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I have an XPS 420 with a QuadCore Q6600, 3Gb Ram and 2x500Gb Hard Drives + Geforce 8800Gt 512Mb

I installed kalyway and everything is ok (execpt Sigmatel Sound and Intel Ethernet i825xxxx)

The Q6600 is recognized and each core is working. I installed the 10.5.2 update and for the dual boot, i used easybcd. I have one disc with vista premium and the other with Leopard (formated in HFS+, MBR mode)

I also have an integrated broadcom bcm43xv device that is recognized but i don't know why my wifi is really slow. Only one time it was really fast but now, it slows down.

I'm still looking for the sigmatel sound and ethernet installs.

Thanks a lot

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have a XPS 420. I have an issue that sometimes i boot it up and it gives me a choppy mouse. Anyone else see this? When it does come up it works well, although I have to patch the sound each time. That I can live with, but would love to fix the intermittent boot.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I have been trying to install ipc 10.5.6 on my XPS 420 but without any luck. Can someone who got it running on XPS 420 can give me some pointers like what BIOS settings needs to be changed, what fixes/patches I should choose during installation so I can get this going

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...