Triple Boot Leopard / XP / Ubuntu

Jadedknight

9 posts in this topic

well, actually this forum is full of exactly this. :-p

maybe you want to tell us a little more on your hardwaresetup, this makes it easier to point you to a direction.

you´re using ubuntu, which means you may not fear the command line and already know what grub is... these are basic advantages when you start... ;-)

basically i recommend to install osx on a seperate hdd, this may help you not to damage your running system or lose any files.

install vista first, then mac, then ubuntu.....if vista gets a little messed up cause it can't find a file like the ntdlr or some system32 file just do a repair.....this might happen after the mac os install.....then after you install ubuntu just edit the menu.lst file. which is in /boot/grub/. I usually do sudo /boot/grub/menu.lst then scroll down to the bottom....by default it will automatically write in Windows, so just copy it all and just change it to fit your mac partition.....sorry don't have screen shots to show.

Is your computer a laptop? Is that why you are cramming three operating systems on one hard drive?

If your computer is a desktop, you should definitely install a second hard drive, just for Mac OS X.

It will make life so much easier.

Then do this:

1. Install Windows XP to first partition of first hard drive.

2. Install Ubuntu to second partition of first hard drive. Let Ubuntu install grub to the master boot record.

This means grub will be your controlling bootloader.

3. Install Mac OS X to first partition of second hard drive.

Add this paragraph to the menu.lst file in Ubuntu.

title Mac Os X

root (hd1,0)

chainloader +1

Works fine for me.

HiI am on a tripple boot too :- 2 hard drives- Windows vista NTFS on the first partition of the first disk (root (hd0,0) or /dev/sda1)- Leo ToH on the second partition of the first disk (root (hd0,1) or /dev/sda2)- linux on the second disk (with 2 partition, one for the systeme/data and other one for the swap).I have installe the ToH leopard on a H2f (It was the first choice in the list ... I forgot but it was the journalised one... ) .Then I didnt use the script offer in the ToH dvd, and instead tried to set up a grub configuration :at the end of the menu.lst, I have added title Mac Os Xroot (hd0,1)chainloader +1but when I tried to launch it , I have this message :Error 13 : invalid or unsupported executable format.Any help ?maybe grub can't boot on a HF+ ( I relly forgot the name of this time of partition) ?Thankshum ok I reply to myself : there is already a post about it : http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...ecutable+formatand on the forum, ls8 has uploaded a tar.gz full of "drivers" :http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=77165and there is a folder with different EFI... the readme seems pretty usefull to resolve the problem So I ll come back if there is a problem.