New Macs with ATI HD3800 series?

4 posts in this topic

From netkas.org:

Few fun news

December 19th 2007 Posted to ATI, Apple

After apple seeded 10.5.2 to adc, funny news come out.

e.g., there is mentions about RV770 video chip (amd/ati)…and…RS780 system chip with integrated video card

what does it mean ?

_PHM_TF_RV770_EnableL0s

_PHM_TF_RV770_EnableL1

_PHM_TF_RV770_EnablePLLSleepInL1

_PHM_TF_RV770_ProgramDisplayGap

_PHM_TF_RV770_RetrieveDisplayConfiguration

_PP_RV770_Thermal_Initialize

PhwRS780_UnInitialize

PhwRS780_Initialize

PhwRS780_SwitchMemClk

Errm... 3850/3870 isn't RV7xx, it's RV670 and ATI have already said that there will be no R/RV7xx chips in the next year. The coming new chips will still be R6xx. And besides, RV670 is already supported in OS X's HD2000 GL driver, but has no framebuffer support.

I find the references to RS780 interesting, since that's an integrated GPU in a chipset for AMD CPUs! Strange, unless AMD has decided to go back on discontinuing ATI's chipset line for Intel CPUs. Still, it's possible the drivers are developed universally, like ATI drivers for other platforms, so it might not mean anything at all.

I wonder if it's got G92 support???

Errm... 3850/3870 isn't RV7xx, it's RV670 and ATI have already said that there will be no R/RV7xx chips in the next year. The coming new chips will still be R6xx. And besides, RV670 is already supported in OS X's HD2000 GL driver, but has no framebuffer support.

I find the references to RS780 interesting, since that's an integrated GPU in a chipset for AMD CPUs! Strange, unless AMD has decided to go back on discontinuing ATI's chipset line for Intel CPUs. Still, it's possible the drivers are developed universally, like ATI drivers for other platforms, so it might not mean anything at all.

I wonder if it's got G92 support???

You´re right.