Orange external hard disk / LEOPARD

aliab

12 posts in this topic

Hi,

same here on Gigabyte DS3 with Sata Disk, ToH installed with Disk connected to purple SATA ports in AHCI mode...

yellow Disk Icon with nothing on it. SATA hotplug does not work for me, but GUID, EFI, SLEEP, VANILLA KERNEL, Software update, all working fine.

Disk Utility see hard disks as external and the Finder show orange generic external icon

Do somebody have the same problem ?

Try this to correct hard drive icons incorrectly displayed as external drive icons:

Open up Terminal

sudo -s

<password> enter

mv /System/Library/Extensions/IOStorageFamily.kext/Contents/Resources/External.icns /System/Library/Extensions/IOStorageFamily.kext/Contents/Resources/External.icns.back

cp /System/Library/Extensions/IOStorageFamily.kext/Contents/Resources/Internal.icns /System/Library/Extensions/IOStorageFamily.kext/Contents/Resources/External.icns

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/IOStorageFamily.kext

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/IOStorageFamily.kext

reboot

Try this to correct hard drive icons incorrectly displayed as external drive icons:

Open up Terminal

sudo -s

<password> enter

mv /System/Library/Extensions/IOStorageFamily.kext/Contents/Resources/External.icns /System/Library/Extensions/IOStorageFamily.kext/Contents/Resources/External.icns.back

cp /System/Library/Extensions/IOStorageFamily.kext/Contents/Resources/Internal.icns /System/Library/Extensions/IOStorageFamily.kext/Contents/Resources/External.icns

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/IOStorageFamily.kext

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/IOStorageFamily.kext

reboot

I tried this .Now Exteranl Yellow icons changed to intel hard Drive icons BUT, Disk Utility Still says all SATA hard Drives including the System listed as External Hard Drive

any Idea ?

With IOAHCIFamily.kext and AppleAHCIPort.kext from BrazilMac leopatch in place of Vanilla, hard disks are well recognized with correct icons but lan networking is bad, (can't connect to an another Mac or PC even if the finder see them)

Here the list of mod and addition kext for P35-DS3P,

ALCinject.kext

AppleEFIRuntime.kext.post

AppleHDA.kext.post

AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext.post

AppleSMBIOS.kext.post

dsmos.kext

IONetworkingFamily.kext.post

NVinject.kext

Yes i have try both (Brazil and vanilla)many times

Did you really fix the reboot with AppleACPI?

i have try to mod IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext with

<key>Physical Interconnect</key>

<string>SATA</string>

<key>Physical Interconnect Location</key>

<string>Internal</string>

because these keys are not more present in the vanilla kext

but always orange external ... ??

Tonight I installed the new Kalyway disk on a new blank harddisk...

Gigabyte DS3, Core2Quad, same rig which installed fine with flat image. But I could not install on yellow connectors...should be ich9.

I had to use the jmicron controller set to AHCI, installed without any problems, BUT even in diskmanager received yellow disk icons...

Any drives on an AHCI controller show up with external drive icons. This is because, among other things, AHCI allows drives to be "ejected" while on (hot swapped).

If you turn off AHCI in the bios the drives should show up with normal icons.