Mac Pro upgrades?

Arez

5 posts in this topic

So I know I can get RAM from newegg, but I'm having a little bit of trouble figuring out which graphics card to get for SLI to work I have the 7300 Gt, but on newegg there are about ten differnet models for it, so does it matter which one I get for SLI to work and/or that will work on my mac? or where can i get one that will work? I've really only gone through newegg for parts before, and I've never dealt wiht SLI, this is my first desktop that is capable of such feats.

Also any reccomendations on harddrives? I was thinking about getting the seagate Serial ATA's like the one that's in my mac pro now, but if anyone has another suggestion I'd love to hear it.

One last thing, I was wondering if there are any specific sound cards I'd need to buy or if that is even an option with the mac pro

Thanks

You can't get SLI on a Mac Pro. You can have dual cards for more screen outputs. You have to buy Apple brand graphics cards, of which there are 3, AFAIK. The 7300gt, the 1900XT, and the QuadroFX 4500.

You can get any brand hard drives you want, just pop them in.

You also have to buy "apple compatibible" sound cards, not just any old thing (this is if you're looking at PCIE sound cards), most external USB and Firewire soundcards will probably work with the mac though (but always check)

you can go to either macmall.com or macsale.com I prefer macsale.com as they have decent prices on RAM, probably better than newegg, at least for the macpro ram but I haven't looked for a new video card for mine yet, I'm running two 22" CRTs at 2048x1536 on a single stock 7300 without any problems. you really only need to consider a second card if you are planning to run 2 or more 30" ACD's and well if you can afford two 30" screens at $1,700 each then you surly have enough for the top end video card

just remember that on macpro the video cards are setup as workstation cards NOT gaming cards, the same rules don't necessarily apply. They are geared more towards consistent tones, gamma and hues not so much on high frame rates.