MSI Install on Vista

hazkid

5 posts in this topic

I have a piece of software that I desperately need to install on Vista, and it says this program is only compatible with XP. Don't worry, it's not a system modifying file, and I'm really not worried about compatibility issues.

BTW, it is the MOXI TV for PC beta. And, yes, I'm pretty sure it will work fine (or relatively fine) on vista).

So: Is there any way I can bypass this "vista block"? I can't put XP on the computer I'm using right now.

And yes, the installer is an MSI.

Since an MSI is not an executable, I can't set a compatibility mode. I think I need to set Windows Installer to XP-SP2. Unfortunately, I can't set it, as c:\windows\system32\msiexec.exe is decreed to be a "system component".

Well, I did that, but...

I get a file called Data1.cab. I opened this file in WinRar and extracted the contents. I also used MBASE MSI Editor to find actual file names. I was able to locate moxisetup.exe (the file was _8D3000...). The issue is, of course, that setup needs the 200+ DLLs included in the CAB, and I really don't want to manually rename all of them, one by one.

Since MBASE can export the MSI table to an XLS file, is there some some of script that will take column one and find the files, and rename them to the values in column 2?

I know its complicated, but...