My Kid Ran Software Update! HELP!

MoTo77

6 posts in this topic

I had OS 10.4.9 (or 10.4.10, I'm not certain) installed and while my kid was using the computer, he installed a system update (probably 10.4.11?) via software update.

Of course this killed the machine. It won't boot.

Is there a simple fix?

I am worried about doing a new install, because the machine has (had?) a RAID and I'm not really sure how that will fare.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Hello MoTo:

Here's what I would do:

1) If you have another Hard Drive, put in new Hard Drive and set as Primary Drive. Setup the old drive as Secondary Drive.

2) Install Mac OS X onto the new Primary Hard Drive. During the installation process, Apple's Migration System will come up.

3) Use the Migration Assistant to copy over your Applications and User Settings from your Secondary Drive.

I've done above process with my OSx86 PC to migrate to larger Hard Drive. I've heard of people using Archive and Install Option in OS X but I haven't used this before.

--danyel :hysterical:

I had OS 10.4.9 (or 10.4.10, I'm not certain) installed and while my kid was using the computer, he installed a system update (probably 10.4.11?) via software update.

Of course this killed the machine. It won't boot.

Is there a simple fix?

I am worried about doing a new install, because the machine has (had?) a RAID and I'm not really sure how that will fare.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

MoTo77,

check out this thread:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=75406

As I wrote there I used the guide in the first post untill step 5 to update my system, so, in the point you are and since you don´t need to do step 4 I guess you can follow step 5 and your system will be restored.

But I imagine you didn´t backup your extensions. If really not, you can get them from the install dvd you used to install your 10.4.9.

Hope this helps...

MoTo77,

check out this thread:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=75406

As I wrote there I used the guide in the first post untill step 5 to update my system, so, in the point you are and since you don´t need to do step 4 I guess you can follow step 5 and your system will be restored.

But I imagine you didn´t backup your extensions. If really not, you can get them from the install dvd you used to install your 10.4.9.

Hope this helps...

I'm in the same boat as MoTo77, except I did it to myself... Your advice was Not clear...The code here I am guessing is specific to a XxX install. I can access the drive that the original install was done on via a JAS install on a second disk. But my original install is as listed in my sig. I don't know if the advice is simply to try and restore from my 10.4.10 backup, or switch to EFI???

Any success on your part yet MoTo?

I'm in the same boat as MoTo77, except I did it to myself... Your advice was Not clear...The code here I am guessing is specific to a XxX install. I can access the drive that the original install was done on via a JAS install on a second disk. But my original install is as listed in my sig. I don't know if the advice is simply to try and restore from my 10.4.10 backup, or switch to EFI???

Any success on your part yet MoTo?

No, no luck. I don't recall there being anything on that machine that I absolutely cannot live without. My kid had some stuff (saved games), but--frankly--he did this to himself. Everyone was warned not to install system updates via Software Update, but he forgot. Good object lesson I suppose.

I've decided to try a fresh install of Kalyway Leo and see what happens. I'm downloading it now... I'll let you know.