How to Resize Hardrive

mlavio829

7 posts in this topic

had the same problem, it's very difficult, you have to turn off journaling and use ubuntu to merge partitions...

but may be you'll just buy leopard, instead of stealing it :(

that's what i did. still feel a little weird, installing the software updates tho... i have a pentium 4 ht and in the back of my head, i always wonder if that information is sent to apple during the update...

To re-size your HDD you need a program like Norton (formerly PowerQuest) PartitionMagic or Acronis Disk Director, assuming you want to do this in Windows. Just install, reboot, start the program, and drag the partition you want to resize. The new space will become unallocated space, which can then be formatter for installing an OS.

996ct2: NO. this does not work with HFS+ partitions.

Has anyone tried installing the flat image to a GUID partition & boot it with pc-efi? If the reports are correct, you should then be able to non-destructively resize the partition with disk util.

Just a thought..

The newest flavor of iPartition is supposed to handle this. The older versions weren't very successful. I've always wondered why there aren't more solutions for this very desirable feature on Macs. I'm relatively new to Macs but it seems to me that Apple has been around long enough for some entrepreneur to jump on this. Intel Macs have only been out for a short time and Paragon has already come up with a solution for reading and writing to NTFS drives. Non-destructive partitioning software seems like a natural.

The newest flavor of iPartition is supposed to handle this. The older versions weren't very successful. I've always wondered why there aren't more solutions for this very desirable feature on Macs. I'm relatively new to Macs but it seems to me that Apple has been around long enough for some entrepreneur to jump on this. Intel Macs have only been out for a short time and Paragon has already come up with a solution for reading and writing to NTFS drives. Non-destructive partitioning software seems like a natural.

The crux has been the combination of HFS+ filesystem and MBR partitioning.. GUID partitions have been resizable on Macs for some time, MBR partitions have been resizable on pc's for ages, but not with HFS+ FS on them.

Some solutions have surfaced that can resize such partitions, but HFS+ on MBR is still a bit esoteric for most mainstream applications (hackintoshes are the only machines to boot from such a config).

In short, resising exists for macs, and for pc's, but the hackintosh, being a hybrid, falls between the 2.

had the same problem, it's very difficult, you have to turn off journaling and use ubuntu to merge partitions...

but may be you'll just buy leopard, instead of stealing it :huh:

that's what i did. still feel a little weird, installing the software updates tho... i have a pentium 4 ht and in the back of my head, i always wonder if that information is sent to apple during the update...

I did buy Leopard, but couldn't get the Brazil method to work properly with it. (otherwise i would have used that)

So i resorted to the flat-image.