Belkin F5D7050 Wireless G USB Adapter on Leopard?

crashoddity

54 posts in this topic

I am stuck. I feel like I am just missing something simple. I have version 4001 and just installed Kalyway 10.5.2. I selected the Zydas driver while installing and after boot up when I plug the card in it gets recognized. My problem is that i1 is being recognized as an ethernet connection so I can't set any of the wifi settings. I have no way to search for or connected to a hot spot. any ideas?

crash,

See Belkin Chipsets to determine which chipset Belkin is using in your FD7050. oddly enough belkin used 3-4 different chipsets depending on the revision. Happily, most of them are supported on a Mac. below is the info from that page in case it disappears. After that I'll pass on some links where you can get drivers. I bought one of these at BB over the weekend ($29.95), and downloaded the appropriate driver, but still don't have it working. :hysterical: But I'm sure I'll get it going.

F5D7050 v.1xxxx						 Prism GT	  Prism54
   F5D7050 v.2xxxx								  Ralink	 rt2x00
   F5D7050 v.3xxxx man: 050d dev: 705a	 Ralink	 rt2x00 
   F5D7050 v.4001  man: 050d dev: 705c	 Zydas	 ZD1211
   F5D7050 v.4xxxx man: 050d dev: 705c	 Zydas	 ZD1211

So if you have an Ralink based 7050, go here:

http://www.ralinktech.com/ralink/Home/Support/Macintosh.html

If it's Zydas, go here:

ftp://ftp.zyxeltech.de/ZyDAS/ZD1211_USB/M...all_4_5_7_0.dmg

If it's a Prism GT, go here:

http://gtdriver.binaervarianz.de/

Good luck!

uman

I dont know why you put the prism gt driver on there because it specifically states that it is only compatible with 10.4

• 2 weeks later...

I had originally given up on this but tried again after updating to 10.5.3. The Zydas drivers worked for me. It was a little quirky getting the Belkin recognized (Leopard kept seeing it as an Ethernet card) and it wouldn't see my wireless network (which was not broadcasting the SSID, but I had manually configured it). I unhid the SSID, unintalled / reinstalled the drivers, and I got it working.

Guest BuildSmart
Belkin now has a 5th generation of the F5D7050, the "F5D7050-E".

This uses a Realtek chip, and despite trying Realtek's driver download it still won't work.

RT8187B_WLAN Adapter

www.realtek.com.tw for Leopard drivers.

I'm still trying though. Anyone else have a Rev E?

I know the device with the rtl8187b works in 10.5, I added a profile to the info.plist to match the device and my neighbor has been happy ever since.

I am on 10.5.2

Using version 3.

NOTHING has worked.

I tried the instructions in this post, and other posts, different sets of drivers.

Every program launches but says "device not connected" or something along those lines.

I can see the device in system viewer, but none of the programs seem to see it.

Any help is appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

I am having the same problem as Jeuk. I can SEE the device (which is the Version 3, on 10.5.2) in my System Profiler, but I cannot get the Network utility to see it. I have a newer version of the driver than the one posted by qwertyuiop in this thread: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...lkin+wireless+g

i downloaded that one and went to install, but it said i had a newer version, but now i'm wondering if i should uninstall it and try qwerty's version, instead.

it is just frustrating knowing that the thing is being SEEN, but cannot REALLY be seen.

any thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

if you got the right driver for the 2500 chipset, there will still be the problem, that it will not work after reboot.

just unplug the adapter wait a second, then replug it. wait another 10 to 15 seconds and you will see it start flickering.

with the wireless utility that should start up automatically you can create a profile for the connection. if doesn't start up launch it manually from applications.

to determine the right driver you should look at the device id.

there is replug kext, which fixes the replug issue. (google)

good luck

mm

• 3 months later...
Belkin now has a 5th generation of the F5D7050, the "F5D7050-E".

This uses a Realtek chip, and despite trying Realtek's driver download it still won't work.

RT8187B_WLAN Adapter

www.realtek.com.tw for Leopard drivers.

I'm still trying though. Anyone else have a Rev E?

I have a Revision 5012 [5th Gen RTL8187b chipset that looks like USB\Vid_050d&Pid_705e&Rev_0200 in XP when you select the device [identifies itself as: Belkin Wireless G USB Adapter ] in Device Manager and right-click for Properties -> Details (tab on the right) and select Hardware ID's (in the "clickable box") that normally says Device Instance ID ...

Anyway... That info is to help others who may or may not know what they're doing to identify if they might have the same USB stick as mine...

Because Post #15 on May 9th, 2008 @ 4:57 am by Chaos Storm worked for me :smoke:

I edited the lines he outlined which were found in the file /System/Library/Extensions/RTL8187Bt/Contents/Info.plist after the driver software was grabbed from:

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downlo...s=true#RTL8187B

(this link is also included in the above mentioned post - i am just duplicating for the simplicity of having it all in this post)

Scroll to the bottom of the page as the drivers for the 8185L and 8187L are also there.

The current version of the drivers [as of this post]:

MacOS, Tiger, 10.4, 10.5 Driver 1117 UI 1.5.1 ( Support Both of Intel and PowerPC Platforms) 1117 2008/2/27 1465k GO GO GO

Anyway... once you download the driver above install it.

It asks you to restart...

But don't quite yet...

The file I uploaded here is the Info.plist installed by the installer above and I have edited the plist Section with the <key>Realtek RTL8187B</key> and changed <key>idProduct</key><integer>xxxxx</integer> to <integer>28766</integer> as well as <key>idVendor</key> <integer>xxxx</integer> to <integer>1293</integer> (just change the numbers... don't delete anything).

The numbers were aquired from taking the hex values 705e 050d and getting decimal values out of them (28766 and 1293 respectively).

This is easily done for the "windows" people with Calculator.

Just go to View -> Scientific and then View -> Hex.

Type the ID's in (705e or 050d) and then go View -> Dec.

It will show you the number you typed in Hex in Decimal.

Anyway, I realized that I don't want to give a tutorial on using sudo /bin/bash, cd /System/Library/Extensions, vi RTL8187Bt/Contents/Info.plist, changing the ID's, rm -Rf ../Extensions.mkext ../Caches Caches and then typing reboot.

But that's how I did it.

I also am not familiar enough with kexthelper to walk anyone through that.

I have also included the edited plist if anyone will have use for it.

Once you reboot, you will need to go into System Preferences -> Network and *if* everything is working, it will say it has detected a new interface.

After you're done setting that up [i think leaving it on DHCP and clicking OK was enough] you should get the Realtek Utility that you can use to do your wireless settings.

I *did* notice after some testing that even though it has settings for WPA2 it kept disconnecting on me. I had to move down to WPA for it to properly work.

Anyway, thanks to Chaos Storm for the lead... and the osx86 community in general...

Hopefully this helps someone.

Good Luck :)icon10.gif

• 3 weeks later...
I have a Revision 5012 [5th Gen RTL8187b chipset that looks like USB\Vid_050d&Pid_705e&Rev_0200 in XP when you select the device [identifies itself as: Belkin Wireless G USB Adapter ] in Device Manager and right-click for Properties -> Details (tab on the right) and select Hardware ID's (in the "clickable box") that normally says Device Instance ID ...

Anyway... That info is to help others who may or may not know what they're doing to identify if they might have the same USB stick as mine...

Just wanted to drop you a line and let you know I am happily posting this using my Belkin 705e (RTL8187b) usb stick thanks to your helpful post! Much respect!

My F5D7050 works natively out of the box with both my Kalyway 10.5.2 patched to 10.5.5 and my Kubuntu 8.10 The firmware is v4 and works with WPA2 as well. I'm on it right now. It didn't take anything special to get it running in Mac. In Kubuntu I had to do a little configuring but that's it.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
i have made a simple little package based on what Nobody special had posted for the v5 f5d7050 belkin fix

Any chance of a re-up anyone? I previously had the v5 working, I don't even know how. But last night, I messed up greatly when attempting something and have now had to re-install everything, including Leopard and I can't get it to work. I would be so thankful.

Thanks Chaos Storm and Nobody Special...

I too am posting this using my new configured Belkin Wireless adapter. I think I am more of an exception that the norm as I am actually running this on a Mac. I had an Intel Mini I bought back when they first came out. It burned up after about 2 years. I upgraded to an iMac at the time, but I have been itching to get the Mini back up and running ever since.

Finally about a week ago I decided to make the plunge. I order a new hard drive, optical drive, and new memory to max it out. I got it all together, got Leopard installed, and everything was great. When I started to patch the new install I noticed that performance was terrible. I generally have a pretty quick internet connection, but even small patches were taking 10 minutes to download. I assumed it was due to being out of range of the router or interference. However, when I fired my laptop up right next to the Mini it got full download speed. After a bit of poking around I determine that there must be something wrong with the card. I guess when it overheated the first time it took wireless with it as well.

This started me down the journey of trying to figure out what how I can get a reliable connection. I was shocked at how few USB adapters are available. I guess when most Macs there days come with built-in wireless there really isn't a market. So after scouring local stores, and internet sites I stumbled across this thread, and I am very glad I did. The cheapest USB adapter that claimed to work with the Mac I could find online was $25 plus shipping. I bought the Belkin for just shy of $30 at a store less than a mile from my house. It took a bit of fiddling to make it work, but I get an excellent connection and great download speeds. Admittedly I had some difficulty. I did everything as you instructed, but it still didn't recognize the adapter. Finally I uninstalled, reinstalled, and made the change again. Oddly enough, even without rebooting it immediately came up with the new device found.

This has gone on a lot longer than I planned so will wrap it up. Thank you guys very much for your great investigative work. I truly appreciate it. You helped make a long awaited project a success for much cheaper than the alternatives.

• 2 months later...

I want that kext because maybe it will work for me. I tried the method by Nobody Special ( I checked I have the same Revision 5012) but for something it coludn't help. After I edited the plist and did a reboot it always said that the driver isn't installed correctly (or sth like that) and I need to reinstall it.

I want that kext because maybe it will work for me. I tried the method by Nobody Special ( I checked I have the same Revision 5012) but for something it coludn't help. After I edited the plist and did a reboot it always said that the driver isn't installed correctly (or sth like that) and I need to reinstall it.

I have the same problem with V5. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

if it helps, I describe my situation.

so the installed application doesn't responding

the usb adapter's green light doesn't do anything when I plug it (maybe it is important)

but it is recognised as an usb device at System Profiler:

Belkin Wireless G USB Adapter:

Version: 2.00

Bus Power (mA): 500

Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec

Manufacturer: Manufacturer_Realtek

Product ID: 0x705e

Serial Number: 00e04c000001

Vendor ID: 0x050d

(just to be sure I tried the Belkin driver(which has the same idProduct, idVendor numbers in it), the Ralink USB driver and the ZyDas. of course, they couldn't recognise my device.)

does anybody know how to get it work?

EDIT: solved! as you can see my next comment.

• 2 weeks later...
I have the same problem with V5. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

hey, mine is working now. I explain how:

thank God I just downloaded a freeware program (it's name is: Smultron) for quick editing my html files... after some time I gave to the Realtek driver a last chance and reinstalled it, opened the info.plist. the new program opened it (sets itself to default) and I edited there, and saved. then restarted and everything worked fine.

hope it helps!

edit: it can be important, that I hit force quit Installer and then restarted

• 4 weeks later...
hey, mine is working now. I explain how:

thank God I just downloaded a freeware program (it's name is: Smultron) for quick editing my html files... after some time I gave to the Realtek driver a last chance and reinstalled it, opened the info.plist. the new program opened it (sets itself to default) and I edited there, and saved. then restarted and everything worked fine.

hope it helps!

edit: it can be important, that I hit force quit Installer and then restarted

This took me a while to get working, but now I am very happy. The Belkin G Version. 5012 is working fine with Tiger. That smultron program worked wonders. Thanks everyone.

Anyone know how to fix the Wireless Utility when it just bounces on the dock then stops working? (No indicator, all other apps working etc.)

It appears to be a fairly common problem after some searches, and people have fixed it but they never explain how they fixed it. I just booted my computer one time, after months of it working perfect, and the thing just bounced and it's been like it since. Nothing else wrong, just that f***ing blue crab.

I'm using Kalyway 10.5.2 and the F5D7050 V5.

• 1 month later...
I just finished looking at a possible solution but I have not tested it 100% but I figure I might post the information here in case anyone wants to try.

This link is for Realtek's driver for Rev 5 Belkin cards that use the Realtek chip. Out of the box, it won't work because Rev 5 Belkin cards have a custom Vendor/Dev ID. So what I'm trying to do is get Realtek's drivers to recognize the new identity.

Once the driver is installed you will need to copy the kext it installs to your desktop and edit the info.plist file. I chose to edit the following section. Items in bold are the ones I changed, because when I ran ioreg -l it gave me the proper vendor ID's.

<key>Realtek RTL8187B</key>

<dict>

<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>

<string>com.realtek.driver.RTL8187B</string>

<key>IOClass</key>

<string>RTL8187B</string>

<key>IOKitDebug</key>

<integer>0</integer>

<key>IOProviderClass</key>

<string>IOUSBInterface</string>

<key>Realtek_WLAN_NIC_parameter</key>

<dict>

<key>LedCtrl</key>

<integer>1</integer>

</dict>

<key>Realtek_common_reg</key>

<dict>

<key>CcxOffLineDurUpLimit</key>

<integer>0</integer>

<key>CcxRm</key>

<integer>1</integer>

<key>Channel</key>

<integer>1</integer>

<key>NetworkType</key>

<integer>1</integer>

<key>QoS</key>

<integer>0</integer>

<key>SSID</key>

<string>ANY</string>

<key>StaUapsd</key>

<integer>0</integer>

<key>WiFi11bIbss</key>

<integer>0</integer>

<key>bRateAdaptive</key>

<integer>1</integer>

</dict>

<key>bConfigurationValue</key>

<integer>1</integer>

<key>bInterfaceNumber</key>

<integer>0</integer>

<key>bcdDevice</key>

<integer>512</integer>

<key>idProduct</key>

<integer>28766</integer>

<key>idVendor</key>

<integer>1293</integer>

</dict>

My IOREG Details for the Belkin:

| | | +-o RTL8187B_WLAN_Adapter@fd300000 <class IOUSBDevice, registered, matched, active, busy 0, retain 8>

| | | | {

| | | | "PortNum" = 3

| | | | "Bus Power Available" = 250

| | | | "bNumConfigurations" = 1

| | | | "Device Speed" = 2

| | | | "sessionID" = 1128355357449

| | | | "USB Product Name" = "RTL8187B_WLAN_Adapter"

| | | | "bcdDevice" = 512

| | | | "locationID" = 18446744073662365696

| | | | "USB Vendor Name" = "Manufacturer_Realtek"

| | | | "USB Address" = 3

| | | | "idProduct" = 28766

| | | | "iProduct" = 2

| | | | "bDeviceProtocol" = 0

| | | | "iManufacturer" = 1

| | | | "IOCFPlugInTypes" = {"9dc7b780-9ec0-11d4-a54f-000a27052861"="IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOUSBLib.bundle"}

| | | | "bDeviceClass" = 0

| | | | "iSerialNumber" = 3

| | | | "bMaxPacketSize0" = 64

| | | | "IOUserClientClass" = "IOUSBDeviceUserClientV2"

| | | | "bDeviceSubClass" = 0

| | | | "IOGeneralInterest" = "IOCommand is not serializable"

| | | | "idVendor" = 1293

| | | | "USB Serial Number" = "00e04c000001"

Anyways if anyone can test this and see if it works. Don't forget to backup a copy of the original kext and repair permissions when done.

• 2 months later...

Because Post #15 on May 9th, 2008 @ 4:57 am by Chaos Storm worked for me :)

I edited the lines he outlined which were found in the file /System/Library/Extensions/RTL8187Bt/Contents/Info.plist after the driver software was grabbed from:

(this link is also included in the above mentioned post - i am just duplicating for the simplicity of having it all in this post)

Scroll to the bottom of the page as the drivers for the 8185L and 8187L are also there.

The current version of the drivers [as of this post]:

MacOS, Tiger, 10.4, 10.5 Driver 1117 UI 1.5.1 ( Support Both of Intel and PowerPC Platforms) 1117 2008/2/27 1465k GO GO GO

Anyway... once you download the driver above install it.

It asks you to restart...

But don't quite yet...

The file I uploaded here is the Info.plist installed by the installer above and I have edited the plist Section with the <key>Realtek RTL8187B</key> and changed <key>idProduct</key><integer>xxxxx</integer> to <integer>28766</integer> as well as <key>idVendor</key> <integer>xxxx</integer> to <integer>1293</integer> (just change the numbers... don't delete anything).

The numbers were aquired from taking the hex values 705e 050d and getting decimal values out of them (28766 and 1293 respectively).

This is easily done for the "windows" people with Calculator.

Just go to View -> Scientific and then View -> Hex.

Type the ID's in (705e or 050d) and then go View -> Dec.

It will show you the number you typed in Hex in Decimal.

Anyway, I realized that I don't want to give a tutorial on using sudo /bin/bash, cd /System/Library/Extensions, vi RTL8187Bt/Contents/Info.plist, changing the ID's, rm -Rf ../Extensions.mkext ../Caches Caches and then typing reboot.

But that's how I did it.

I also am not familiar enough with kexthelper to walk anyone through that.

I have also included the edited plist if anyone will have use for it.

Once you reboot, you will need to go into System Preferences -> Network and *if* everything is working, it will say it has detected a new interface.

After you're done setting that up [i think leaving it on DHCP and clicking OK was enough] you should get the Realtek Utility that you can use to do your wireless settings.

I *did* notice after some testing that even though it has settings for WPA2 it kept disconnecting on me. I had to move down to WPA for it to properly work.

Anyway, thanks to Chaos Storm for the lead... and the osx86 community in general...

this dosent work

please post the edited file thanks

• 6 months later...