Darnit! Somebody Help!

MasterXXXShake

5 posts in this topic

I'm going to TRY and explain what's happening.

I started to suspect a problem when Apple Mail couldn't use it's data folder. Turns out the problem is MUCH Bigger.

Any new FILE or FOLDER that is created (doesn't seem to matter what creates it, me or an installer) within the Home folders for ANY USER is created with the following permissions:

system : Read & Write

(unknown) : Read Only

everyone : Read Only

Because of this you can't use a folder until you chown it. (Can't Change the permissions using the GUI tools)

I tried a disk repair

I tried a permission fix

I chowned the entire user home folder to username:username (No Change)

I chowned the entire user home folder to username:staff (Now unknown is staff but the user is still system rather than the creator)

Googling around the only solution has been a reinstall with a drive zero. Well we all know what a PITA that is for us.

Has anybody else here had this issue?? What can I do to fix it without a reinstall??

I suspect it has something to do with Apple changing the database used for permissions. There has to be a way to remove and recreat the DB without a total reinstall. Dear God I HOPE so.

Any ideas??

I'm going to TRY and explain what's happening.

I started to suspect a problem when Apple Mail couldn't use it's data folder. Turns out the problem is MUCH Bigger.

Any new FILE or FOLDER that is created (doesn't seem to matter what creates it, me or an installer) within the Home folders for ANY USER is created with the following permissions:

system : Read & Write

(unknown) : Read Only

everyone : Read Only

Because of this you can't use a folder until you chown it. (Can't Change the permissions using the GUI tools)

I tried a disk repair

I tried a permission fix

I chowned the entire user home folder to username:username (No Change)

I chowned the entire user home folder to username:staff (Now unknown is staff but the user is still system rather than the creator)

Googling around the only solution has been a reinstall with a drive zero. Well we all know what a PITA that is for us.

Has anybody else here had this issue?? What can I do to fix it without a reinstall??

I suspect it has something to do with Apple changing the database used for permissions. There has to be a way to remove and recreat the DB without a total reinstall. Dear God I HOPE so.

Any ideas??

wow thats mega strange. Maybe you could find the database and delete it. It should be automatically recreated?

does it have anything to do with the ".DS_Store" file present in every directory?

Hi

Sort of had the sample problem within a Linux shared folder running on samba. The only way to correct it was to have

all the win xp machines under the same domain as the Linux server.

Have you tried to copy a file from a usb memory stick (Not created on the machine with the problem).

After check permissions on the file. Restart and check again. Has this problem just surfaced. Try logging on as

another user and se what happens to file permissions when another file is created!

teh same problem here!!! can't repair permissions (attached as rtf) diskutil says it's done but when I run it again there are still the same errors.....i think that's why some applications crashes.... (mail, address book, adiumx - can't create some files)....the same problem somewhere on yours machines????thank you

the same problem with permissions to user folders.....

you can see console logs

LEO 10.5.1 AMD zephyroth

can somebody help me????

mail_address_book.rtf

permissions.rtf

I had a similar issue with first trying out 10.5. The only thing I could trace it back to was booting into 10.4.10 DVD and repair permissions from there. Only way I fixed it was a fresh install and not using the 10.4.10 DVD to do any of the efi stuff. Only reason I used it was it would boot faster than ToH 10.5 DVD.