how to rebuild an optimum kernal for your own cpu

hedson

4 posts in this topic

hello the know-hows,

first of all I'm a noob, I just installed macosx_10.4.3_JaS.1111a.Generic.Patch.V4.2.iso on my dell dimension 3000, everything works fine except no CI no QE (if anybody knows how to make these 2 work on a 865G chip, please, please let me know).

now I'm wondering a thing, the jas v4.2b patch is an 'overkill' patch (at least up to my knowledge) that patches the kernal to run on most cpu's. my cpu is a p4 3.0g HT with SSE3, no NX. now, how do I rebuild the kernal and make it take advantages of the SSE3 instructions?

besides that, is there anyway to check what my kernal is currently supporting, and not supporting? (SSE2, SSE3 etc.)

I'm a nood so please explain things in detail and I think all other noods who wants to solve the same problem will be as appreciated as I am. many thanks!

thanks temis, but can you explain a bit more about how to put up the newly patched kernal? what commands should I use?

and which patches do I need? obviously I need to patch with nx but not sse3, (I have a p4 sock478 3.0g with HT), what about rtc and cpuid? do I need them at all?

They say that SSE3 -> SSE2 patched kernel will not degrade computers performance, even if you don't need that patch. I tested computer with Photoshop and Xbench and i can confirm that.

I replaced my kernel with original (i guess only anti-Tpm patch). You can put alternative kernel on "/" and boot it with F8 option. Then you just write the name of new kernel.

Check on maxxuss how to patch.