Help with Inspiron 630m

yehweh

12 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I looked around on the wiki to check if any one got OS X to work on an Inspiron 630m/ xps 140, but, did not find anything. Has any one been able to get it work. If so what patches should I install.

Thanks in advance.

i got it to work on a inspiron 700m. u need to get the orignal .dmg. Convert it to .iso using UltraISO. Then get Jas Patch. Apply that. bur the resulting image on a DVD-R. Install it. If it works, send me 100$ and jump around like a crazy chicken. If not throw your laptop into the sea and get a Macbook or whtever its called.

I looked around on the wiki to check if any one got OS X to work on an Inspiron 630m/ xps 140, but, did not find anything. Has any one been able to get it work. If so what patches should I install.

similar to the Dell Latitude 110L in chipset (Intel i915) http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph...edit&section=21 It should install properly but wireless and modem and card reader won't work.

You will get similar results with Linux:

http://www.disgruntledgoat.com/content/use...nspiron630m.php

General Hardware Specifications:

Hardware Component Status under Linux Notes

Intel® Pentium® M Processor 735A (1.70GHz, 2MB L2 Cache) Works cpufrequtils was used to dynamically adjust the processor speed as per the Gentoo Power Management Guide

14.1" WXGA (1280x800) TrueLife TFT Works No special procedure required during installation.

Intel i915PM with GMA900 graphics Works Took a bit of fighting but now works fine complete with Direct Rendering (DRI) which means nice accelerated video and 3D support :-). See the Xorg section

2 x 256MB SODIMM DDR2 in dual channel mode Works No special procedure required during installation.

Seagate Momentus 80GB 5400RPM Works Swapped out Dell OEM drive as I had a bigger drive knocking around

Broadcom 10/100 ethernet Works Had a couple of odd timeouts with the 2005.1 LiveCD, but other than that it's been fine

DVD +/- R/RW drive Works Standard IDE DVD +/- R/RW, however the ATA driver needs some furtling. See the SATA section for details. Thanks to Pete Tillotson for this one...

Intel Pro Wireless 2200 802.11 b/g MiniPCI card with integrated dual-band (2.4/5.7GHz) antenna Works See the IPW2200 section

80 WattHour 9-cell "smart" Li-Ion battery Works No special procedure required during installation.

FireWire Works No special procedure required during installation.

Synaptics touchpad Works No special procedure required during installation, however it is extremely sensitive. Need to tame this a little! UPDATE: have installed the proper Synaptics Touchpad driver for XOrg. See the Synaptics Touchpad section.

Sigmatel STAC9750 AC'97 audio controller / Intel ICH6 HD Audio Works - kinda Presently headphones do not switch off speakers when plugged in under Linux. See the audio section

ExpressCard slot Untested As it's just an express PCI lane and a USB connector on one socket it should be reasonably hassle-free. Don't have any ExpressCards with which to test it yet, though!

5-in-1 card reader Does not work Ricoh memory card controller is, at present, unsupported by Linux, which is a shame...

Conexant HDA D110 MDC V.92 Modem Does not work Can find no info on getting this thing running yet. It appears to hang off the Intel HD audio subsystem and, as that isn't 100% behaving, I can't blame this thing for not working until I've sorted that!

I got 630m today. As soon as I got it, I installed 8f1099 without any problem. It takes forever (about an hour) to install it. I read somewhere I can boost it by changing a few configs in BIOS, but I don't remember where it was. Anyway, the result is:

LCD: CI and QE are activated without any manual tuning. But, sometimes I see blue screen only. Someone pointed it's because laptop dynamically allocates VRAM. Whenever I get my laptop started without blue screen VRAM says 256M. I need to figure this out.

USB: This is pain. I can't get my mouse to work. In the system profiler, it says USB is working, but the mouse does not. Any suggestion? Device ID: 0x265c, Revision ID: 0x0003, PCI Vendor ID: 0x8086

Audio: Audio does not work. I thought they use the same one as i6000, but it uses Sigmatel 9200. I read somewhere that Sigmatel 9220 works, but Sigmatel 9230 does not. I wonder if I ever can fix it. Any suggestion?

Wireless: It does not pick it up. It's Intel Wireless connected by mini-pci or something like that, I think. Any suggestion?

LAN: Fortunately, it does work.

Sleep/Wake: When I make it sleep, it does. When I wake it up, it does but keyboard and trackpad doesn't work. Basically, it is useless.

Strangely enough, the installation DVD does not work anymore. Now I encounter "unable to mount /dev/disk0s1 (status code 0x00000047)" whenever I try to install Tiger. Now I am without OS X.

I think it has something to do with hard drive partition. When I have different partition, it sometimes say "cannot find System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/NetInfo.framework/Resources/lookupd/Agents/DS.bundle/DS" with the same error message above with disk0s1 replaced with disk0s2.

I should have sticked wiith what I had.

Hi Tosoil,

I havent got my laptop as yet some problem with the Dell business site (which sells the 630ms in the US). Could not get it fixed, so, I ordered the xps m140 which is the same from the home site. Shold get it by the 4th (According to the site) Will try to get osx on it as soon as I lay my hands on it :) .

Strangely enough, the installation DVD does not work anymore. Now I encounter "unable to mount /dev/disk0s1 (status code 0x00000047)" whenever I try to install Tiger. Now I am without OS X.

I think it has something to do with hard drive partition. When I have different partition, it sometimes say "cannot find System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/NetInfo.framework/Resources/lookupd/Agents/DS.bundle/DS" with the same error message above with disk0s1 replaced with disk0s2.

I should have sticked wiith what I had.

try reformatting ur drive and allocating a primary partition for ur drive also try the platfor=x86pc switch or the safemode switch

Hi,

My computer config:

Processor: Pentium M 1.86 ghz

Memory: 512 mb 533 mhz dual channel

video : Intel 915 GM

I have been trying to get the "10.4.3_8f1099_for_dtk_userdvd-PATCHED.iso" to install on my xps m140.

I tried the regular install with out verbose "-v", was able to get past darvin and the apple logo, after that I got a blue screen with nothing on, not even a black mouse.

Next I tried the -v so that I could get some info abt why its crashing. THis is what I found

detects usb.

detects firewire.

HCI controller started ... AFH supported.

Got boot device = IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/..../"something abt" ATADeviceNub@0...

BSD root: Disk1S2, major 14, minor 7

feb 2 22:03:23 launchd: ioctl (SIOCAIFADDR ipv6): File exists

kern.maxvnodes: 9088 -> 2500

creating RAM Disk for /volumes

disk2: 1024 sectors in 2 cylinders of 16 tracks, 32 sectors

0.5MB in 1 cyl groups (16 c/g, 4.00 MB/g, 128 i/g)

super-block backups

creating RAM Disk for /var/temp

warning: 256 sectors in 1 cylinder unallocated

disk2: 1024 sectors in 3 cylinders of 16 tracks, 32 sectors

0.1MB in 1 cyl groups (16 c/g, 4.00 MB/g, 32 i/g)

super-block backups (for fsck -b #) at:

creating RAM Disk for /var/temp

warning: 256 sectors in 1 cylinder unallocated

disk2: 1024 sectors in 3 cylinders of 16 tracks, 32 sectors

0.1MB in 1 cyl groups (16 c/g, 4.00 MB/g, 32 i/g)

super-block backups (for fsck -b #) at:

then I get a Launching crash Reporter. and then a kernel _panic

!

Im sorry for this crazy post... but I dont really know what the heck is going on in there.. any one please help!

Oh btw I did disable SpeedStep.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I just joined the forum and I'm really interested in getting Mac OS X to run on my Dell Inspiron 630m. So what's the latest status? What's working and what's not? I saw the hardware page on the wiki and it says that a dongle is required to make it work properly. What about WIFI and sound? Seems like audio isn't working but maybe wifi? Thanks for any input, I'm just looking for the latest info to see if I should try the install.